U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:23 PM

18,696 posts, read 38,326,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoneil View Post
What would I bring with me? My surf board, my Porsche, if I had any of the above.
No. Just come with no preconcieved notions and enjoy beautiful Montana.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 09:01 AM

22,973 posts, read 24,134,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoneil View Post
Have you been to Bozeman in the last 3-4 years? That place is more like California that people think. Besides what would I bring with me? My surf board, my porsche, or maybe my private jet. I grew up on a Dairy, I live in a town that has less than 1000 people. I grew up hunitng Blacktail deer, and fishing like alot of other people who live in California. Granted, the state sucks, and so do alot of the people that live below Ukiah. Do you know where that is? I bet you have never been to California. If you every drive through, the top 200 miles of California are very different, live get out of the house.
We're from Santa Rosa and a couple of my best friends are from Fortuna (original settlers of Fortuna) so yes I understand the area you're from. This place is a whole lot like where you're coming from except colder winters. What elk meant about leaving California behind is not what you own but what you'd probably call "bay area attitude" or "flatlander attitude". What town do you live in???
When we first moved here we got grief about where we were from until we learned to remove certain sentences from our vocabulary. One in particular is "I don't understand why this place is so backwards, in California we did it this way or, where we're from they did things this way why don't they do that here.
We were finally told "we don't care what or how they do things there, this is MT.
On our second time moving back here from the south we finally "got it" as well as "caught" the MT attitude and have been doing ok since. I even have CA plates hanging in my garage and no one cares.
Once the people around you realize your from the sticks in CA they will probably lighten up if they even care at all.
Like I said this town is a lot like Rio Dell or Scotia....

Old 07-16-2008, 09:38 AM

6,023 posts, read 12,594,474 times
My wife and I never ever got any flack whatsoever about being from California from anybody and we've lived in four different towns in Montana in ten years. If anyone says anything about us being from California it usually goes like this : " Aren't you guy glad to be outa there ? Only once have I ever had anyone do or say anything unkind to me here and he's is nasty to just about everyone. He is the jerk who owns the gas station in my area Moderator cut: sorry had to snip this we cannot flame others, especially those who may not be a member of City Data due to liability He is one of those angry mean people who like to pretend to be the "nice guy of the community" Every one else has been very friendly everywhere we have been.

Last edited by Kristynwy; 07-16-2008 at 09:49 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 09:53 AM

369 posts, read 1,347,807 times
Good grief! All you people are from California??!!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:38 AM

155 posts, read 664,093 times
Ok, so here is a joke:

There is a Montanan, Californian, and a Tennessen. Out on the trail moving cattle. The Tennessen rides to the chuck wagon grabs a bottle of whiskey, takes a swig, throws the bottle up in the air, and shoots it.

The Californian and Montanan ask him "why'd you do that".
He replies," we have so much whiskey in Tennesse, we don't drink from the same bottle twice."

So the Californian rides over to the wagon grabs a bottle of wine, takes a swig, throws the bottle up in the air, shoots it and says " we have so much wine in California, we don't drink out of the same bottle twice."

So then the Montanan rides over grabs a cold Coors, rides back, drinks the entire bottle in one swig, grabs his six shooter, and shoots the Californian dead.

The Tennessen looks at him and says "why'd you do that".
The Montanan replies, " we have so many Californians in Montana we don't drink with the same one twice."

Ok I know there is a ton of jokes like that but for some reason I remembered that one and when grizfan asked if everyone on here was from California. Off topic I know but had to share it.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:25 AM

6,023 posts, read 12,594,474 times
Well I never was one of those well off people who spent their whole life in California.
I originally left when I was 16 and I traveled via my right thumb. After living in Washington, Nevada, Idaho, North Carolina, and back in California, I somehow ended up in Montana.
The last 8 years spent in California before moving to Montana was spent living on a 30 foot sloop. If it wasn't for my boat I would have been homeless. No credit cards (Don't believe in them !) and only an 85 Toyota truck. The truck is still my only motor vehicle (I had to sell my thumper) and it still goes back and forth across the Rockies with 355,000 miles on it.
I will never sell this truck no matter how many parts fall off of it !

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - rig and cactus

Old 07-16-2008, 12:16 PM

5 posts, read 20,791 times
The problem with western Montana in general is that many of the newcomers do not move into the cities. Too many live out in the "country" and drive into town to work, shop, etc. The population of these western towns increase dramatically each day, during business hours, and the roads and streets were not designed to handle this additional traffic.

That is one of the things I like about Billings. The "city" is growing as a city, and the streets can handle the increased traffic much better than the western Montana cities can, so far at least. It is probably just a matter of time before Carbon and Stillwater counties explode the same way Ravalli and Flathead have, but Billings is better prepared to handle the growth.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:25 PM

From my view, Carbon County has grown some but only on the West side or the "prettier" side. Towards RedLodge/Joliet/Roberts. The other side Bridger/Fromberg/Belfry have seen little to no growth mainly because that is the side with more family farming and no one has really decided to sell, and especially with the gas prices no too many people will comute from these places. But, with the growth of Billings, Laurel has really boomed. Kinda usure if it will continue south.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:49 PM

7 posts, read 50,661 times
I never understood why people don't blame the folks from Washington for invading Montana. More people move here from Washington than California. Also, in my state of Arizona we have an increasingly annoying influx of guess who? That's right ....... MONTANANS!

Old 07-16-2008, 01:53 PM

I am confused are you from Montana or Arizona? Cause you said, "more people move HERE from Wash. than Cali", then you said " in my state of Arizona.... Are you state confused? Just a thought, the people moving to AZ from MT probably were not originally from MT (i.e. moved to MT from somewhere then moved to AZ). But if they were really born/raised in MT then they are most likely older retired folks that travel to AZ in the winter and return back to MT in the summer, I know quite a few older/retired couples which do that. They put in their dues of harsh winters and probably deserve a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula