U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 10:22 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,931,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahereee View Post
Not state confused! From Arizona, living in Montana, moving back to Arizona, which you would know if you read more than my last post.
Most people from Montana that I meet in Arizona are natives of Montana looking to escape the cold. I find your rationalization for the Montanans moving to AZ hilarious: Montanans can invade other states to escape the cold because they "put in their dues of harsh winters and probably deserve a break" while Californians etc. can't move to Montana to escape overpopulation, taxes, and high house prices. Are those coal bed methane fumes starting to get to you?
I agree with mtboy's comment. It's not so much that we hate people moving here, it's we don't need all the fluff that comes with that, (20 espresso places for every block, all the strip malls, the stuff people try to move away from etc...) Not to mention the traffic problems that come with too many people in an area that wasn't designed for the amount of traffic on the roads. I'm speaking of the Bozeman area here, there are other areas to go, but man Bozeman has gone way downhill in the last 8 years with all the crazy growth. Hopefully it slows down for a while.

Plus for every 1 montanan that moves out to escape the cold there are over 1500 people moving in buying up Montana land like it's a rush on food before Y2K. It causes the prices to rise and for the rest of us it makes it harder financially. I hardly see how Montanans can invade other states as 10+ years ago there was well under a million in the state! That's less than 1/3 of 1% of the US population. It's the local resident's that are getting priced out, not the outsiders looking for "paradise", so even if a local moves, their money doesn't go as far in the other areas of the country.

This topic reminds me of an Eagles song...

The Last Resort
"Rich man came and raped the land, nobody caught him. Put up a bunch of ugly boxes and, jesus, people bought 'em. "
(forgot some of the words... but you get the gist..)
"Call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye."
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 03:24 AM

7 posts, read 50,662 times
First, you must excuse my comments to mtboy as I don't like internet tough guys. Don't say something to someone on the net that you wouldn't say to their face is where I stand. Anyway, sorry to hear about the downward trend of Bozeman. I remember when it used to be a nice town of about 20,000. I guess things have changed.
As with the immigration of Montanans to Arizona is concerned, I agree that Arizona isn't being completely overrun by Montanans. However, the "snowbirds" from Rocky Mountain states do make up a significant number of temporary residents. Many snowbirds choose to buy the properties with views and saguaro cactuses on 5 + acres of land. The effect is similar to what is happening in Montana: limited space + high demand = increased prices and local displacement.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:51 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,931,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outahereee View Post
First, you must excuse my comments to mtboy as I don't like internet tough guys. Don't say something to someone on the net that you wouldn't say to their face is where I stand. Anyway, sorry to hear about the downward trend of Bozeman. I remember when it used to be a nice town of about 20,000. I guess things have changed.
As with the immigration of Montanans to Arizona is concerned, I agree that Arizona isn't being completely overrun by Montanans. However, the "snowbirds" from Rocky Mountain states do make up a significant number of temporary residents. Many snowbirds choose to buy the properties with views and saguaro cactuses on 5 + acres of land. The effect is similar to what is happening in Montana: limited space + high demand = increased prices and local displacement.
Seems like it's going on all over the place... When I was a kid I watched it happen to Colorado too. (I grew up half time in CO and half time out here with a couple years in the midwest in-between...long story.) My old stomping grounds down their are now little ranchettes and strip malls and ski resorts. I was lucky enough to fall in love with a Montana gal after I got out of the service and hideout up this way for a least a while before it started to happen out here. Just wish our kids could enjoy it with the same freedom we were able to have.

We have a lot of snowbirds out here also, with the same 4000+sf house on 5-40 acres and only stay from June until September.

Yeah Bozeman used to be a lot of fun, and during the summers it was nice and quiet for the most part. Now it's getting to be more like Missoula with malfunction junction, (although I don't think it's quite as trafficy as Missoula yet.) I usually try to avoid town at all when I'm not working anymore.

I'm not sure what the population is up to now in Bozeman, but it's a lot more than the roads were built for, that's for sure.

Rickers:
That's terrible! Did you ever find your stolen dog?

Old 07-19-2008, 02:13 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,599,439 times
Heck no but I have a lovely dog and a talking conure now. The one that was stolen in Fresno was a Doberman puppy and it was about 25 years ago I guess I'm over it by now.

Here is a picture link to my wifes three pets, The big ugly one is yours truly, part German, part Italian and part Irish. The one with the tounge hanging out is 1/2 Black Lab and 1/2 White pyraneese. The little one is a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure.

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - escaping the ...

Old 07-21-2008, 08:49 AM

155 posts, read 664,276 times
Hey. I was joking bout the state confused part. Was just trying to understand. Sorry you got that feeling.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:48 PM

7,822 posts, read 13,432,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
This topic reminds me of an Eagles song...

The Last Resort
"Rich man came and raped the land, nobody caught him. Put up a bunch of ugly boxes and, jesus, people bought 'em. "
(forgot some of the words... but you get the gist..)
"Call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye."
It goes, in part, like this:

Some rich men came and raped the land,
Nobody caught 'em
Put up a bunch of ugly boxes, and Jesus,
people bought 'em
And they called it paradise
The place to be
They watched the hazy sun, sinking in the sea
They call it paradise
I don't know why
You call someplace paradise,
kiss it goodbye

Old 07-27-2008, 01:29 AM

5 posts, read 25,507 times
Anyone know of a place that is now what Montana USED to be?

Old 07-27-2008, 12:01 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,599,439 times
I fail to understand why any normal thinking person would expect any place to never change when we have wide open borders and rampant crime in more populated states that are driving people to move to states like Montana. I say these folks can stay in some kind of la la land and whine about it or just freaking get over it. We went to a lake yesterday and had a great time. This board is where the whiners dwell.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:25 PM

7,822 posts, read 13,432,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybordolphin View Post
Anyone know of a place that is now what Montana USED to be?
Alaska??

Old 07-27-2008, 09:28 PM

5 posts, read 25,507 times
Yeah.... Alaska came to mind. I hear Alaska is hiring troopers (specifically divers, and pilots in the mix). Shame to find Montana is losing its recognized independence and uniquiness.

Can you still own just about any type of firearm in Montana? Any political dribble on its way to end that as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula