Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 03:05 AM

7 posts, read 51,411 times

Advertisements

Okay! Let me start by saying I am not looking to try to stop people from moving here but, rather, inform others of my experience. I am one of those guys that grew up in a small mountain town that was invaded by out-of-staters and decided to move to Missoula thinking Montana couldn't possibly be too crowded. I was wrong! I have seen nothing but traffic and urban sprawl since I have lived here and now it is time for me to leave. There are traffic jams on the east side by the University, traffic downtown, traffic west to Russel and Reserve Street and all the way to the town of Lolo on Highway 93. That's like 20 miles of traffic! Additionally, I have seen development occur at breakneck speed, reaching the foothills and currently expanding up the mountains (ie. Mansion Heights). I know, I know it is all relative. And for those moving from large cities you will think you are in paradise, but for those looking for the paradise they lost, you might be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 06:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,917,432 times
I don't disagree, Missoula is very busy even compared to Kalispell but Kalispell is doing it's level best to catch up. Thankfully there's still many rural areas within 12 miles of Kalispell but they're being squeezed between fast growing cities of Whitefish and Kalispell.
Such a pity...

Old 07-12-2008, 09:34 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,018,631 times
Missoula is anything but what an example of what Montana is like. If you live in Missoula and only visit or see the surrounding suburban areas then you totally missed Montana.
Here are some picture links for ya all. I'm sure a bunch of folks on this board have seen some of these pictures before but I just thought this was a good post to show them again. I rarely go back over to the Missoula or Flathead areas anymore. Even though so much of western Montana hasn't been paved over yet, at the rate it's going, folks better start thinking about reserving green belts or both valleys will end up looking like the San Fernando Valley right under our noses. In a way I'm glad our little town is shrinking ! Conrad is still stuck in the 50s and folks still hold doors open and even stop for you to cross the street !
The pics in these photo links include pictures of both sides of the Rocky Mountains in Montana.

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - Pics of the R...

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - fawna and flora

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - 2003 pics

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - Guess what ri...

Old 07-13-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Missoula is anything but what an example of what Montana is like. If you live in Missoula and only visit or see the surrounding suburban areas then you totally missed Montana.
Here are some picture links for ya all. I'm sure a bunch of folks on this board have seen some of these pictures before but I just thought this was a good post to show them again. I rarely go back over to the Missoula or Flathead areas anymore. Even though so much of western Montana hasn't been paved over yet, at the rate it's going, folks better start thinking about reserving green belts or both valleys will end up looking like the San Fernando Valley right under our noses. In a way I'm glad our little town is shrinking ! Conrad is still stuck in the 50s and folks still hold doors open and even stop for you to cross the street !
The pics in these photo links include pictures of both sides of the Rocky Mountains in Montana.

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - Pics of the R...

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - fawna and flora

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - 2003 pics

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - Guess what ri...
Off topic for a minute, how's the store going? Tourists keeping you busy I hope?

Old 07-13-2008, 08:55 AM

Yup ! Way to busy than I want to be ! It's really my wife's little store in front but the back room is mine !!! I don't get any time for fishing and river floats. Now my old 85 Toyota PU is down, so I'm sure glad to be in Conrad rather than Missoula as I can walk one block to everything. I'd be screwed without a car or truck in Missoula and as the O.P. said the traffic is really bad there, at least by Montana standards !

Old 07-13-2008, 12:23 PM

7 posts, read 51,411 times
I remember Conrad! I went hunting once in Valier and, afterward, decided to go bowling at Conrad's little bowling alley. We kept getting mad because the ball would never get returned, but all in all, we had a good time.
Anyway, about Missoula. I temporarily lived at my relative's place above the proposed JTL site out by Lolo. The house has a clear view of the Miller Creek/ Walmart area of west Missoula. Over time my relatives took pictures in that direction and, let me tell you, it is freaky to see the clear hill, then some houses, then houses covering the hill, and now, houses virtually bordering the Bitteroot River.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Yup ! Way to busy than I want to be ! It's really my wife's little store in front but the back room is mine !!! I don't get any time for fishing and river floats. Now my old 85 Toyota PU is down, so I'm sure glad to be in Conrad rather than Missoula as I can walk one block to everything. I'd be screwed without a car or truck in Missoula and as the O.P. said the traffic is really bad there, at least by Montana standards !
Well not to get you down but I'm going floating tomorrow! Had shoulder surgery 8 weeks ago and just got cleared to row..Get the truck going and maybe we'll see ya out there!!!!

Old 07-14-2008, 10:01 AM

We're working on it ! I'm jonsing for a river run. The Marias from Tiber Dam to Moffit Bridge ! Let me quess ; your going from Teakettle to old steel bridge ?
Was I close ?

Old 07-14-2008, 07:14 PM

266 posts, read 704,569 times
I was once like you and thought the traffic in Missoula was bad. Growing up there I had seen it get worse and worse. Finally I moved 6 years ago out of state to places that actually have bad traffic. it is humorous to think what I used to call bad traffic.

What also makes Missoula better is, even if you are driving WAY to the other side of town, its only 7 miles or so LMAO. Heck it takes 5 miles for me to get to the highway to start driving my 30 miles to work. in far worse traffic than Missoula ever has.

Now I do miss the Missoula of the 70s and 80s, fewer people fewer cars, no Californians etc. However, again, now that IM out in the real world, I can see things how the people who are moving to Montana see it, and its not as bad as most native Montana’s think. The traffic is just one of the down sides. Progress always has good and bad things to it.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
We're working on it ! I'm jonsing for a river run. The Marias from Tiber Dam to Moffit Bridge ! Let me quess ; your going from Teakettle to old steel bridge ?
Was I close ?
Nope, Blankenship to C-Falls and boy did we get burnt! Missed ya!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula