U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:24 PM

3 posts, read 14,164 times

Advertisements

Hi, first of all, sorry for my English!!!
I am from Brazil and I am probably going to live in Missoula during this next winter. I know, I will probably froze to death!
I would like to practice my English and learn a little of it during this period. Are there some school or colleges that offers an English course for foreign people?
Thank for your help.
Greetings from Brazil,
Gustavo.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 07:08 AM

155 posts, read 673,006 times
Default U of M

Try the doing a search for the University of Montana. They are located in Missoula and is one of the biggest colleges in Montana. Good luck!

Old 08-05-2008, 09:49 AM

369 posts, read 1,364,823 times
Gustavo,

Your written English is very good! The University of Montana does not teaches classes in Portuguese and has not for some time. It is possible that Missoula County Public Schools has someone who speaks Portuguese in the "English As a Second Language Department". All teachers and staff are on summer vacation for another 3 weeks. When you arrive, or at the end of August, call (406) 542-4030.

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2008, 04:38 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,973,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavodecastro View Post
Hi, first of all, sorry for my English!!!
I am from Brazil and I am probably going to live in Missoula during this next winter. I know, I will probably froze to death!
I would like to practice my English and learn a little of it during this period. Are there some school or colleges that offers an English course for foreign people?
Thank for your help.
Greetings from Brazil,
Gustavo.
Moderator cut: language

I'm sure U of M would have a good course for you.
The University Of Montana

Good luck.

Last edited by Kristynwy; 11-10-2008 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: English only please

Old 08-05-2008, 05:10 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,852,346 times
If you wrote this post youself without an interpreter you're doing better at english than many who were born here ! Good luck and have a good time while here. Just talk to many people and ask them to correct you if you use a wrong word and you'll be speaking better english than me before you know it !!!

Old 08-05-2008, 06:06 PM

Thank you very much for helping me.

I thought about the University of Montana but I did not find a winter course, but I´ll keep looking for it. You gave me some good ideas!
I´ll try to talk to people from Missoula, too. If you see a guy kind lost in the snow, freezing, will probabily be me.
I will enjoy it, for sure. It´s a good opportunity to know another culture and live in a very diferent way. (I have never been in temperatures below 53.6 F!)
Thank you very much!!!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:31 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,852,346 times
Try googling "Rosetta stone" They have language learning programs either on audio disks or DVDs. You can also chat us all up on this board and we will help you learn the language further. I will start helping you right here and now ! In your post you used the word "froze", in that context the proper word would be "freeze". Another thing would be to contact the general public school system and see if they offer adult English courses. You can also get a small digital translator and use it as a learning tool.
good luck.
Have you ever heard the phrase "Boca Vermilia" My friends mother always told him to find a nice Portuguese girl and to stay away from the Boca vermilia women ! (meaning an American girl who wears a lot of make-up) !

Old 08-06-2008, 08:34 AM

Hi rickers. Thank you for correcting me! So your friend´s mother is Portuguese? I am picturing those "boca vermilia" women! It should be very scaring! Tell him to find a brazilian girl! He will certainly like it!

I looked for Rosetta Stone and it seems to be a good material. I´ll look it better by the time I arrive in Missoula. I also sent an email to Missoula County Public School about the ESL. Thank you for your suggestions! You are really helping me out!

I wasn´t hoping to find such nice people here. I would like to thank you all for being so kind with me.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:55 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,423,234 times
Something worth considering is Gustavodecastro is not actually looking for English as a Second Language. In Montana, ESL is a method of teaching non-native speakers school subjects (math, science, geography) in using words and language they are most likely to understand. The Montana ESL program is not designed to teach English to non-native speakers. It is designed to provide a regular school education to non-native speakers, minus the English portion. Yes, it sounds really weird but that's how they do it in Montana. (I have some friends who are teachers in Montana who explained this to me. I still gave them a really weird look.)

Gustavodecastro is looking for courses to teach English to him, and he should find these at the University of Montana. He is actually looking for being a student in a Montana Intensive English Program or equivalent.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 AM

155 posts, read 673,006 times
Gustavodecastro. I think for the most part everyone who has posted on this forum is very open minded and kind. Remember though.... when you arrive to MT you might not always find that. There is still people in this world that are not that way, not sure why but there is. If you run into trouble you can always come back on here. Keep us updated. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula