U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 02:52 PM

6 posts, read 10,169 times

Advertisements

So I'm a native of Missoula, born and raised, spent the first 21 yrs of my life there, about 5 years ago I moved to dallas for work and school. I have worked in the mortgage industry for the last 3 years now. Its been pretty good to me, even considering todays market and whats happening in the mortgage industry. I have made a pretty good living out of it, however I have decided enough is enough, I have had enough of this big city and am moving back home next june. I just miss my montana too much.

My question is, how is the job scene in missoula when it comes to office work? When I lived there i always did some sort of labor work, it seems most people in missoula now work retail or labor of some kind. I realize moving back home means taking a income hit, but it's also much cheaper to live there than it is here. Does anyone recommend any sources for job hunting, other then the missoulian?
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 03:06 PM

369 posts, read 1,349,462 times
First tip: Have a job before you move back here.

Second tip: The mortgage business around here had pretty significant downsizing in the past couple of years. Might be hard to get into if you are thinking that way. Real estate sales are down a bunch, though not as bad as Florida, Texas and California.

Third tip: While Texas is one of the big three in the mortgage and real estate slump, if you have a job there (still) consider keeping it.

Fourth tip: The Sunday Missoulian is not a bad source of jobs and you can get it on line. You might try the Helena Independent also. Many Missoula firms place ads there to widen the net. And, there is always the Job Service.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
First tip: Have a job before you move back here.

Second tip: The mortgage business around here had pretty significant downsizing in the past couple of years. Might be hard to get into if you are thinking that way. Real estate sales are down a bunch, though not as bad as Florida, Texas and California.

Third tip: While Texas is one of the big three in the mortgage and real estate slump, if you have a job there (still) consider keeping it.

Fourth tip: The Sunday Missoulian is not a bad source of jobs and you can get it on line. You might try the Helena Independent also. Many Missoula firms place ads there to widen the net. And, there is always the Job Service.
Thanks, but I'm not necessarily looking to stay in the mortgage biz, I'm open to options, anything office related would be fine really. I just don't want to be working graveyards at the mill if you know what I'm saying. I was there about 2 weeks ago, I noticed alot of new banks and buildings out there on north reserve, perhaps that created a few new jobs.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:08 PM

369 posts, read 1,349,462 times
Don't worry about 'graveyard at the mill'! The enviros finally caused Simpson to shut down in Bonner and they will keep up the pressure that gets Smurfit-Stone and everything else in the end.

Office work. Apply to Missoula Federal Credit Union, First Security Bank, 1st National Bank of Missoula, Farmers Bank, etc. Tell them what you can do to increase their bottom line. You've spent some time in financial-industry related tasks. No sense throwing that away. Build on it.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:27 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,934,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herm99 View Post
So I'm a native of Missoula, born and raised, spent the first 21 yrs of my life there, about 5 years ago I moved to dallas for work and school. I have worked in the mortgage industry for the last 3 years now. Its been pretty good to me, even considering todays market and whats happening in the mortgage industry. I have made a pretty good living out of it, however I have decided enough is enough, I have had enough of this big city and am moving back home next june. I just miss my montana too much.

My question is, how is the job scene in missoula when it comes to office work? When I lived there i always did some sort of labor work, it seems most people in missoula now work retail or labor of some kind. I realize moving back home means taking a income hit, but it's also much cheaper to live there than it is here. Does anyone recommend any sources for job hunting, other then the missoulian?
Thanks!
What kind of things do you like to do? Being from Missoula, you know there are a lot of unique jobs that come from living in a mountian town. I'd recommend finding one of those jobs you like to do for a motivator, and using what you have learned at school and your first years off of the "teat" to make a place for yourself back home.

Not to be rude, but I question your research with the assumption you would be taking an income hit. Especially in the field you are working. Have you done any research?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
Don't worry about 'graveyard at the mill'! The enviros finally caused Simpson to shut down in Bonner and they will keep up the pressure that gets Smurfit-Stone and everything else in the end.

Office work. Apply to Missoula Federal Credit Union, First Security Bank, 1st National Bank of Missoula, Farmers Bank, etc. Tell them what you can do to increase their bottom line. You've spent some time in financial-industry related tasks. No sense throwing that away. Build on it.
Yeah that may be a good idea, I actually got my first car loan from MFCU when I was 18! Hah!. I will have to drop them all my resume. Thanks again!

Old 08-11-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
What kind of things do you like to do? Being from Missoula, you know there are a lot of unique jobs that come from living in a mountian town. I'd recommend finding one of those jobs you like to do for a motivator, and using what you have learned at school and your first years off of the "teat" to make a place for yourself back home.

Not to be rude, but I question your research with the assumption you would be taking an income hit. Especially in the field you are working. Have you done any research?
Yes, I have done some research, it seems the payrate is considerably lower actually, again I'm not complaining about that, just making a statement that I have noticed. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but seems like the starting pay is a bit lower then I would hope for. Chances are I won't be able to stay in the mortgage industry and that is fine, however finance/bank jobs seem to pay less there. Do you recommend any particular resources? Thanks

Old 08-11-2008, 06:07 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,934,297 times
I wish I could.
I'm not in the same field, it just seems like the way housing (and other costs) have gone up in the last 10 years that I assumed that the mortgage/real estate folks were out there making a killing!

Good luck finding something that suits you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula