U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 10:17 AM

10 posts, read 28,176 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

Tired of the Great British Rat Race, we had decided a change was needed, and our research was leaning towards Missoula.

I understand that opinions are subjective, but having read some posts about the oppressive grey/dull skies that hover over for months on end, and the drunkenness of downtown Missoula perhaps we need to thing again?

As we are not (yet) wealthy enough not to have to work, we need to be reasonable close to a large town/city. But don't want to risk getting S.A.D. syndrome, any suggestions?

Oh forgot to mention, the one thing I will miss is my football (or should I say soccer) therefore must be able to get broadband so I can still watch from afar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 11:09 AM

373 posts, read 1,738,170 times
I think the grey skies thing is somewhat comparative. Much of the area east of the continental divide enjoys many sunny days, so folks from these really sunny areas (like me) find Missoula a bit gray. However, you'll have a little bit more moisture, more coniferous trees, and slightly more protection from temperature extremes. It's no Seattle in terms of scaring someone off due to SAD. I don't think you would have problems if you've lived in an island climate before.

Yes, there is some drunkeness downtown in the evenings because it is a college town. However, there are lots of cultural activities because it is university town. Just don't go out downtown after 10 p.m. Wed-Saturday, and you won't have to see 20 year-olds acting young and dumb. If you want to go out and eat a nice meal, you probably won't be accosted by crazy drunk fraternity folks on your way to and fro. No need to worry!

Just come for a visit! You might like it.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:43 PM

1,154 posts, read 4,096,001 times
Are you worried about the cold? The coldest temperature ever recorded anywhere in the UK is -27C. Compare this to -57C recorded in Montana. Although I think Missoula has only gotten down to -40C or so. Average high for Missoula would be 0C, low would be around -10. Be sure you can deal with that, because although the locals claim Missoula is in Montana's "banana belt" it is significantly colder than anywhere in Britain. As far as getting sun, though, even Missoula is far sunnier than Britain. And dryer, too (although of course much snowier).

Old 03-05-2007, 11:12 AM

495 posts, read 394,815 times
This winter in missoula..............if the sun just poked out for a few minutes a week we were doing good. With the last so many mild winters in mind, this winter has been more normal as far as lack of sunshine, but still not as cold.
The last so many winters over the last ten years or so, I think have lead many to think winters here are alot milder than they really are. I have experience some very painfull winters in the area. 20->30 below for weeks at a time, all but shutting the entire town down, other times when snow fall collapsed roofs, flooding that took out houses, and let's not forget the forest fire smoke that choked people for an entire month in the summer, so thick you couldn't see the sky, physically driving people from their homes, not to mention the actual fire that took out homes...
If the elements of weather are a concern............you might want to rethink your stratagy.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:58 PM

7,916 posts, read 17,267,286 times
Quote:
I understand that opinions are subjective, but having read some posts about the oppressive grey/dull skies that hover over for months on end, and the drunkenness of downtown Missoula perhaps we need to thing again?
Montana's climate isn't like that at all, you're probably confusing it with Seattle. When I've been to England it's reminded me of the Pacific Northwest along the coastal areas. Montana has much lower humidity and many more clear days.
Drunkenness in downtown Missoula is something I have alot of experience with and I guess I didn't find it to be a bad thing because I kept going back for more.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:55 AM

Western Montana, in climatic terms as well as other classifications is considered part of the northwest. Meaning the weather patterns are more similar to Seattle than Bozeman which is east of the divide. Less rain but relentless overcast skies in winter and the spring to for the most part.
I don't understand why alot of older people would want to retire here, I think the last so many years though have mis-lead people into thinking our weather is something it ain't.
I've witnessed years when a real summer doesn't come until August, right thru july is 60 ish overcast and rain. And then we get some 80 degree days in August.
Over cast and/or rainy days, 5 days a week can last well into june alot of years. If the rivers don't rise it makes for good fishing, if you don't mind standing in the rain half the time.
Then the summer comes and you pray it doesn't get to dry, which it can and does.....and then the forest fires start, and it's oh Sh*t here comes the smoke.
I guess it all explains why people drink so much and then go beserk when the weather finally is nice.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:23 AM

152 posts, read 590,116 times
[quote=JoeJoeMan;430140]Western Montana, in climatic terms as well as other classifications is considered part of the northwest.
1. I don't understand why alot of older people would want to retire here,
I've witnessed years when a real summer doesn't come until August, right thru july is 60 ish overcast and rain.
2. And then we get some 80 degree days in August.
3. Over cast and/or rainy days, 5 days a week can last well into june alot of years.
4. Then the summer comes and you pray it doesn't get to dry, which it can and does.....and then the forest fires start, and it's oh Sh*t here comes the smoke. QUOTE]

1. Because some of us AREN'T summer people. and would rather have rain, overcast and gloom. (although hubby prefers motorcycle weather, haha).

2. Woo Hoo. 80'...Sometimes it gets that low on a summer nite here. No breeze, 4 weeks straight of triple digit heat during the day. Every week from July to Sept! Then indian summer in October, and oooeee the fires begin.

3. We're getting our winter allotment of rain in Feb. onlythis year, it seems.
Although some winters are true-to-form with rain, lightening and thunder (you'll find me outside during those times playing in the puddles).

4. My one fear of moving near a forest! but living where I live now, I stand a greater chance of death and disability from a car wreck so I guess it's worth the odds.

Thanks for the weather update JJM, I look forward to it at this final phase of my life......

Spring is springing in the San Francisco Bay Area.....birds are flitting, saw my first baby humming bird yesterday (a first for my 12 yrold gr.son), bees are staring to buzz, days are 70'.....this is summer to me. Should last oh, say, 4 days...that'll be it for sping. Then onto summer

Old 03-07-2007, 12:00 PM

fbcobrn wrote:
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
Western Montana, in climatic terms as well as other classifications is considered part of the northwest.
1. I don't understand why alot of older people would want to retire here,
I've witnessed years when a real summer doesn't come until August, right thru july is 60 ish overcast and rain.
2. And then we get some 80 degree days in August.
3. Over cast and/or rainy days, 5 days a week can last well into june alot of years.
4. Then the summer comes and you pray it doesn't get to dry, which it can and does.....and then the forest fires start, and it's oh Sh*t here comes the smoke. QUOTE]

1. Because some of us AREN'T summer people. and would rather have rain, overcast and gloom. (although hubby prefers motorcycle weather, haha).

2. Woo Hoo. 80'...Sometimes it gets that low on a summer nite here. No breeze, 4 weeks straight of triple digit heat during the day. Every week from July to Sept! Then indian summer in October, and oooeee the fires begin.

3. We're getting our winter allotment of rain in Feb. onlythis year, it seems.
Although some winters are true-to-form with rain, lightening and thunder (you'll find me outside during those times playing in the puddles).

4. My one fear of moving near a forest! but living where I live now, I stand a greater chance of death and disability from a car wreck so I guess it's worth the odds.

Thanks for the weather update JJM, I look forward to it at this final phase of my life......
Your welcome on the weather update.............
I'm just stating what is, from my experience, if that's what you like fine.....
1. I think it's safe to say that very few people like gloom and overcast, even those of us who live here in it have issues with it. Most older people people who retire are looking for an easier environment to deal with, that's why the vast majority move south.....I know, I know, not all do. Most people here in montana know, that alot of people move here, the beauty, hunt, fish, whatever but after a couple good winters they have a serious change of heart, however, the last so many winters here have been relatively mild and nice. Hey if you wanna be 80 year old man or women and look foward to dealing with more extreme elements whenever you go out.........have at it.
2. Yea you will be say Woo Hoo 80 degrees, when that's the best it gets for just a couple of days all year, after that long glooming winters....april, may, june, july, when the hell is it gonna clear up for a day or two.....ah yes then you finally get an 80 day, and then it's september...........hey where's that indian summer......It doesn't happen every year but it does. So you get to say Woo Hoo 80 degrees, you just won't be able to say it more than a couple times a year.
3. My sentiments exactly, if you don't mind puddles you won't be out at all, besides, we don't get all that much rain, we get overcast weather, it always looks like it's gonna rain but doesn't.
4. Car wrecks we get plenty of them to, if that's what your into, you can drive 93 on those gloomy days for something to do, you'll chances of perishing are as good on 93 as any place in the country.......plus we thru in some good old fashion forest fire smoke during the summer, it's more fun than driving in fog, that's if they don't close the hiway. Hey at least we don't get tornadoes, but I think we've probably lost as many houses due to forest fires, so we're not at all a bit jealous of Kansas.

Anyway my point was simply, if 'nice' weather, senior friendly weather is your concern..........Montana is not the "last best place" when it comes to the elements, closer to the "first worst place", but don't take my word for it, ask the cattle.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:02 PM

152 posts, read 590,116 times
Talking cattle story....

[quote=JoeJoeMan; but don't take my word for it, ask the cattle.[/QUOTE]

When I was new to this rural end of the county, YEARS ago....my husband became friends with one of the local well-known ranchers, thru his work with the Sherrifs dept.

So we went out to the ranch one cold, drizzly night and all the cows were laying in the pasture. I asked innocently: "Don't you bring them in at night?"
(I know, Here's yer Sign) and he replied...."Nope, we cover them with blankets."

Dang, never made that mistake again. hahaha

Old 03-08-2007, 12:18 PM

fbcobrn wrote:
Quote:
...."Nope, we cover them with blankets."
Did he tell you about the jackalopes too

Besides we gave our cattle pillows and hot choclate before bedy-bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula