U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 08:35 AM

540 posts, read 1,776,825 times

Advertisements

Does anyone on this forum drive a daily commute from these locations? If so, any feedback would be great. Never been to either place but considering a position in the area, wondering what the commute from Missoula to Hamilton is like, during any season of the year. More places to chose from as far as housing/apartments in Missoula, so that would be my starting point. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 09:18 AM

6,023 posts, read 12,607,182 times
It's not all that bad a drive normally, but If I were you I would really make the effort to live as close to work as possible. I don't commute but have driven that stretch many times in all kinds of weather. It's very busy during rush hour.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:15 PM

5,463 posts, read 8,556,879 times
I commuted from Stevensville, Montana to Missoula on Highway 93 for two years. It took me about 45 minutes to an hour each way, in good weather, and wasn't a bad drive because there are just a couple of small towns and very few traffic lights in between. It was a little harder in snow/sleet, etc. in the winter, and when they are working on the road or fighting fires up in the mountains in the summer. Traveling from Hamilton to Missoula will take you an additional 30 to 40 minutes or so, and when I left they were expanding that stretch to four lanes, so that should help. A lot of people make that commute, although if gas goes back to $4.00 a gallon you will be hating it. Watch your speed, etc. though, they will pull you over for anything and everything out there (no sales tax in Montana, they have to raise revenue somehow). If I can offer any more information, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
they will pull you over for anything and everything out there (no sales tax in Montana, they have to raise revenue somehow)
You make Montana sound like a giant speed trap or something ! The state may have no sales tax as it gets money from high income taxes. Our highway patrol officers are the best, most polite and professional police you'll find anywhere. They do not pull you over unless you give them a good and valid reason.
I have been driving in Montana for many many years and have never been stopped or pulled over by any L.E.O.s (yes my driving record is perfectly clean). I have lived in states where cops would stop and search you just because they didn't like your hairstyle or the color of your skin. North Carolina was one of them !

Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 AM

When I lived in Montana, even the native Montanans joked about all the speed traps, etc.! Maybe it was just the particular area I was in. I was in a little town where I think the police were just really bored. On the positive side, I think the reason the Montana police are able to pay so much attention to all sorts of little traffic violations (not just speeding), is because the rate of other, more serious crimes they have to deal with is so low, compared to the rest of the country. I've lived in North Carolina for a combined total of almost 15 years, and have NEVER gotten a ticket for anything at all. The police here are much too busy chasing real criminals.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:46 AM

6,285 posts, read 10,317,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
You make Montana sound like a giant speed trap or something ! The state may have no sales tax as it gets money from high income taxes. Our highway patrol officers are the best, most polite and professional police you'll find anywhere. They do not pull you over unless you give them a good and valid reason.
I have been driving in Montana for many many years and have never been stopped or pulled over by any L.E.O.s (yes my driving record is perfectly clean). I have lived in states where cops would stop and search you just because they didn't like your hairstyle or the color of your skin. North Carolina was one of them !
Okay, I know that 1 experience doesn't qualify as a statistic, and we all have our share of highway patrol stories where we are the ones who are always right , but the first time we went on a road trip in Montana, in 2005, first day of the trip, we were stopped just west of Butte by the highway patrol. Broad daylight, good road conditions, and we were going under the speed limit, enjoying the ride, not in any hurry. A speeding truck passed us, and right afterwards we got pulled over (and, let me add, we had a rental car with CA plates), and the officer claimed we had been going way over the speed limit. Now we both know how to be polite and cooperate, but we were shocked . If there is anything I resent, it is a false accusation. (And let me just mention that my own driving record is also squeaky clean ) He was not willing to listen to any explanation. And when he gave us a ticket and suggested that we could either pay it by mail, or go to court weeks from then (right, with CA plates, and on summer vacation), or simply give him $40 right there, then we we so mad we had steam coming out our ears --and I even wanted to fly back up and contest it in court. (Makes me mad even thinking about it! Gotta let go...) But pragmatism prevailed, and we paid the guy $40, which was almost all the cash we had on hand, and went on to enjoy the rest of our Montana vacation... I'm not implying he pocketed the cash, because he did give us a receipt, and he was polite enough. And people make mistakes. But boy, that was a sour start of a vacation . Fortunately, the rest of the trip was great. So, it doesn't corroborate either Montanamom's or Rickers's point of view, but of course it gave us the impression that if you're on the highway in MT, at least near Butte, watch out!

Old 05-03-2009, 11:18 AM

Montana has a wild west reputation and a lot of folks come here thinking that the state still doesn't have a speed limit. If you were ticketed in Montana for speeding and think that you were picked on for no reason except for revinue collection you are in denial. Don't come to Montana and break our laws and then whine about speed traps. Better yet, lead foots better just stay the ***** out of our state.
Denial denial denial. We don't want to hear about it.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:00 AM

Wow, chill out. And so far I haven't figured out the five letter word that fits the five *****, but anyway, that's my experience and I'm sticking to it. I know for a fact the police in Hamilton have a ticket quota to meet, but mainly I was offering my experience for the poster that inquired how the commute would be to Missoula.

Don't worry about me, I'm gone - and glad.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:19 PM

540 posts, read 1,776,825 times
MontanaMom, why are you glad to be out of Montana? I would hate to move my family there and find out it's not for us. Even visiting there may not answer all of my questions. I would want to know more about living in the Hamilton area, if you don't mind elaborating more about the state. Thanks for your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula