Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:38 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I find this very hard to beleive, as half of the women in Missoula are overweight, - don't beleive me - just look and count.
I'd start an argument with you on this point but it would probably just get deleted or moved so I won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 01:51 PM

495 posts, read 492,960 times
Quote:
Quote:
I find this very hard to beleive, as half of the women in Missoula are overweight, - don't beleive me - just look and count.
Montanaguy wrote:
I'd start an argument with you on this point but it would probably just get deleted or moved so I won't.

There are alot of things on god's good earth that one can pretend they are not but being fat isn't one of them

And before anyone decides to misconstrew my thoughts or notions.....my mother, bless her, was consideralby overweight most of her adult life, and she was nothing less than a completly devoted and selfless angel. But it is now with this current self absorbed vain hippy type society we live in that it now places more value one's phyical attributes than ones inherient virtue. Which I find a pretty shallow way of thinking, especically coming from the 'enlightened' generation.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:35 PM

529 posts, read 1,892,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
aventgarden wrote:
...Missoula has never really been a part of Montana, even Montanans will tell that, that one reason I find it funny when people say they want to move to Montana for the way of life and then move to Missoula or surrounding area...
heh heh... yup... they come to Missoula.... not to Montana.

Sort of defeats the purpose of even coming here.. really.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:06 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,908 times
Yeah, but Portland sucks.

Why would anyone want to live in a mid-sized city like Portland anyway? All the urban plight issues of a real city like New York, without any of the benefits such as exciting nightlife and cultural opportunities. Well, it's cheaper I suppose, so you're like a poor man's New York. Kind of like the entire West Coast. Congrats!

Speaking of the west coast, who was the last President from the west coast?

For all its faults, at least Montana doesn't try to be something it's not. Portlanders should just realize that they live in a state no more urbane or sophisticated than Montana, and deal.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:15 PM

Oh yes, and how could I ever forget this link?

Smartest states in America listed: Smartest State 2006-2007

Note how Montana is #7. Oregon is #40. But, we must defy all logic and statistics and come to baseless conclusions such as that Montanans are largely "idiots talking about how big their truck is." Man, if that's accurate, then your average Oregon resident must be a chimpanzee.

Also, LOL at California ranked #47. Montanans have known it all along.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:24 PM

With only 32.6% of Portland residents holding college diplomas, college is hardly the only thing that matters.

High school grads provide the economic backbone to the country. This holds true for both Montana and Portland.

EDIT: And how could I forget that 38% of Missoula residents hold diplomas. Over 5% more than Portland

Old 06-03-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Oh yes, and how could I ever forget this link?

Smartest states in America listed: Smartest State 2006-2007

Note how Montana is #7. Oregon is #40. But, we must defy all logic and statistics and come to baseless conclusions such as that Montanans are largely "idiots talking about how big their truck is." Man, if that's accurate, then your average Oregon resident must be a chimpanzee.

Also, LOL at California ranked #47. Montanans have known it all along.
Ah yes...

There you go...... I always like it when folks shift it into high gear like that.

Sort of takes the edge off...

Old 06-03-2007, 09:02 PM

42 posts, read 69,201 times
You're also not taking into consideration that many of the college grads here in Portland area live in the suburbs -- an often typical place for the wealthier to live. If you look at places like Lake Oswego, you'll notice that more than 60% of the population there has a Bachelors Degree or higher.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:10 PM

U-Bet

Oregon lost their shine way back in the days just after Tom McCall (1967-1975), and they haven't ever gotten it back. "So Get Over It"

Oregon has been swallowed up by the same big government glut that ruined California. A welfare state it truly is...... with nearly 50% of the entire state population on the dole.

Yup.... takes a lot of smarts to literally ruin a state now... doesn't it?

Old 06-03-2007, 09:19 PM

42 posts, read 69,201 times
First off, I will admit that much of Oregon outside of Portland, Bend, Eugene and Corvallis does in fact suck. If you want to see where I talk of this, just look at the Oregon thread. I find much of Southern Oregon to be just the same as Montana in terms of narrow-minded redneck attitudes, and natural beauty. However, if you're saying that having social programs for the lower-incomed is a bad thing, then you're exactly what is wrong with Montana. I would love to see the source that says nearly 50% of our population is on welfare. Also, California is far and away better than Montana, so again that's no comparison that you'd want to make. California as a STATE has the 5th best economy in the world, whereas Montana hardly has an economy at all -- just look at your minimum wage. Hell, Montana has been involved with a law suit regarding a treaty with the Crow tribe that would literally bankrupt the state, and therefore Montana can't even pay the tribe. If you think there is a problem with big government (which to conservatives just means social programs), then you're just another conservative Montanan, which is part of the point in my first post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula