U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:54 PM

115 posts, read 289,362 times

Advertisements

Now, I am a little sad - I have read the posts re: Missoula and I am thinking that it is not for me. I enjoy hiking, skiing, and lakes and scuba diving occassionally (yes - know that means flying to another locale). I live in Colorado and love the sunshine. I don't know what I would do without it. I hated the dreary winters in the Carolinas, which are nothing compared to what I saw described in Montana. Is Missoula in view of decent size mountains? Are things greener there in Colorado? Any positive that make it livable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 09:02 AM

369 posts, read 1,330,666 times
Not sure what all you have been reading about Missoula, particularly as it pertains to your interests.

Missoula sits in a valley surrounded by mountains. To the SW is Lolo Peak that is around 10,000 feet and has snow on it until August or September. To the north is the Snowbowl Ski area that has snow on it until May and very rugged peaks. Further south are ther very rugged Bitterroots mountains with magnificant peaks, crags and valleys. All sorts of streams provide fishing, kayaking and rafting, the Clark Fork River, Bitterroot River, Big Blackfoot River, Rock Creek and more.

Yep we get more than a few days of clouds and inversion in the Winter, but it's not as depressing as the West Coast and you can drive about 90 miles in either direction to get out of it.

The only thing I find in Missoula that is 'not for me' are the liberal-leftist-commie-pinko-swine that inhabit in great numbers. I manage to avoid them however so we are both happy.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:22 AM

7,916 posts, read 17,236,986 times
I think you accidentally posted the same thread twice so you should probably delete the one below this one since you don't have any replies yet. May I ask what part of Colorado you live in now? I lived in Denver for a few years and of course the vegetation gets pretty brown for much of the time. But you're also close to spectacular mountain scenery, probably some of the best in the nation. Missoula does have a mountain setting that surrounds quite a bit of the town and it is attractive although it also traps the smog sometimes. Missoula is also much colder than the Front Range area of Colorado so that's something to consider. I think Grizzfan's comments are coming from a real conservative by the sound of them but to each his own. I always liked Missoula's more open minded liberal attitudes so your political leanings might shift your opinion one way or the other. I never considered myself a "swine" because I support liberal causes but I won't get started on that subject. A visit will answer your questions and you might widen your search to other western states to really be aware of your options because there's really alot of nice towns worthy of consideration. Also check out Idaho.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:05 PM

6 posts, read 20,349 times
Default Missoula

Hi,
I was just reading the reply that talked about the "Leftist-commie-pinkie-swine". I kind of agree. Sorry, to say. I won't call liberal people swine, but the liberal people that live in Missoula seem to be what they say that they hate: intolerant of anyone who does not see things from their viewpoint. I was in Missoula last fall, and I have pro-life bumper stickers on my car. I got yelled at, and flashed the finger just for having something on my car that some people who lived there did not agree with. So if that kind of thing doesn't bother you, or if you have a more liberal outlook, Missoula is probably worth checking into.Also, they are really prejudiced to fat/overweight people there. I am 50 lbs overweight, and I got harassed for that also, by people yelling out obsenities at me just for how I looked. On a more positive note, the climate there is very nice. I live in Great Falls, and the weather here is crappy compared to Missoula. I would love to live there, but, unfortunately, I just can't handle bigotry in any form.

Darla

Old 05-03-2007, 05:39 PM

495 posts, read 392,648 times
darlaglibberyv wrote:
Quote:
Is Missoula in view of decent size mountains?
Hey guys, montanguy, giftshopguy, etc., does this prove my point (Thread "if it wasn't for the mountains") that people move here just to see the mountains ?

Old 05-03-2007, 07:47 PM

529 posts, read 1,760,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
darlaglibberyv wrote:

Hey guys, montanguy, giftshopguy, etc., does this prove my point (Thread "if it wasn't for the mountains") that people move here just to see the mountains ?
Heh Heh....

Ole Missoula....

You are "in the mountains" when you live in Missoula.

Hey, I can't tell folks not to come here, but I can tell them to be prepared for a different way of life......

http://www.gallatin.mt.gov/Public_Do...bdocs/codewest

If folks wouldn't buy into all of this "marketing Montana B.S.", they might stand a good chance of making it around here.... but no.... they'ld much rather only come here to look at "pretty mountains"...... forget research, being grounded or good ole fashioned common sense.....

It's all fine with me if they come here ill prepared, it just means they'll be leaving us sooner, that's all.

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 05-03-2007 at 08:21 PM..

Old 05-04-2007, 03:30 PM

281 posts, read 763,405 times
I have been living in the Missoula area for a couple of weeks now. I have been in and all over Missoula nearly every day, and have yet to encounter any rude people, be it liberal or republican. ::shrug::

I'm so glad I didn't let the negative posts on here affect my decision to come up here. Everywhere I have gone, ie: shopping, business dealings....people have been down right friendly.

My grandpa gave me the best wisdom and I'm going to pass it along to those who can't stand libs or whatever. Keep the convo to everything but religion and politics and we'll do just fine.

Also, you ARE in the mountains when you come to this area. lol

Old 05-05-2007, 11:17 AM

495 posts, read 392,648 times
Heart Wrote:
Quote:
I have been living in the Missoula area for a couple of weeks now. I have been in and all over Missoula nearly every day, and have yet to encounter any rude people, be it liberal or republican
Maybe they don't know you yet...just kidding Seriously though, what did you expect people to just come out and be rude to you. If you haven't noticed in life that thin veneer that people put on, as in being superfisually nice or gruf to you, usually doesn't represent their underly true soul, which you will find out when the chips are really down, I've meet some very very pleasant people around here, who would pretty much let you drown in the river rather than throw you a life jacket because it might disrupt their day. On the other hand I've meet others here with deadpan emotions and never hold the door open for you, who'd give you their world of time and help.

Heart Wrote
Quote:
I'm so glad I didn't let the negative posts on here affect my decision to come up here. Everywhere I have gone, ie: shopping, business dealings....people have been down right friendly.

My grandpa gave me the best wisdom and I'm going to pass it along to those who can't stand libs or whatever. Keep the convo to everything but religion and politics and we'll do just fine.
I got the same advice, but from my dad.
Seeing how you like advice from the elders, bits of wisdom, let me give you this.......Moderator cut: off topic/personal

Old 05-05-2007, 06:05 PM

7,916 posts, read 17,236,986 times
Quote:
Maybe they don't know you yet...just kidding Seriously though, what did you expect people to just come out and be rude to you.
JJM, I see you're still at it. I haven't posted for a couple of days so I thought I'd check out what's new. Behave yourself!

Old 05-06-2007, 05:53 AM

281 posts, read 763,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
Heart Wrote:

Maybe they don't know you yet...just kidding
ROFL! That might be it!

Quote:
Seriously though, what did you expect people to just come out and be rude to you. If you haven't noticed in life that thin veneer that people put on, as in being superfisually nice or gruf to you, usually doesn't represent their underly true soul, which you will find out when the chips are really down, I've meet some very very pleasant people around here, who would pretty much let you drown in the river rather than throw you a life jacket because it might disrupt their day. On the other hand I've meet others here with deadpan emotions and never hold the door open for you, who'd give you their world of time and help.
I was basically giving an example of my experience. Moderator cut: off topic/personal

Now see, I bet if we ever bumped into one another, we would get along just fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula