U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:55 PM

18,696 posts, read 38,407,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I completely agree. One thing I learned living in Montana is that many of its residents have a unhealthy obsession with labeling everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, as either "liberal" or "conservative". It got annoying real quick.
That's cause we stand for something. But won't fall for anything. haha
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 02:26 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,626,355 times
I spent a couple of years being homeless as a teenage runaway and yes I did panhandle and rarely made over 15 or 20 bucks in a day. My second stint as a homeless person was the result of working a low paying job and having to pay child support as well as alimony. I did pay the child support on time and there was simply not enough left from my paycheck to pay for rent so I lived in my car for two years until I was able to get a better paying job. Every truly homeless person has a different life story and many do panhandle. The only reason I'm doing better these days is because of marrying into money and ending up as a beneficiary of several well off relatives in their wills along with working my ass off for most of my life. I gave a homeless guy my jacket right off my back once (he was very cold, wet and shivering) but I will not give them money because I'm sure they will smoke it, swill it or shoot it up rather than eat. Other than the shooting up part I have been there and done that.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:46 AM

281 posts, read 785,150 times
Wasn't too thrilled last week when walking down Higgins to see a nice big sign that read ""F" you, give me change!"

Aside from this, I cannot stand to see homeless folks. Breaks my heart. Regardless of their stories.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:24 AM

436 posts, read 1,638,343 times
Please don't misunderstand. I feel for those that truly are going through bad times and I don't want to hide them away so I can pretend they don't exist. But I'm not naive enough to believe that all of those people are trustworthy or there due to circumstances beyond their control. I agree with Rickers about not liking to give money because they can use it for drugs or alcohol.

It was purely a question because it seemed so concentrated in Missoula.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:21 AM

214 posts, read 554,155 times
When I lived in Phoenix the Arizona Republic did some good investigative reporting back in the '90's on the people holding up the signs on the streets and found a few of them were essentric well-off people living in the suburbs just looking for adventure. No drugs or mental types like what is assumed. If you have some knowledge of the movie industry and how they use props, like a lot of people do down there, you can dress for it easily. In the big city you can make a lot of money panhandling as evidenced by the stories they had. I could think of better ways to spend my afternoon.

Last edited by Jbechtel; 08-06-2009 at 10:44 AM..

Old 08-06-2009, 10:52 AM

7,838 posts, read 13,461,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbechtel View Post
When I lived in Phoenix the Arizona Republic did some good investigative reporting back in the '90's on the people holding up the signs on the streets and found a few of them were essentric well-off people living in the suburbs just looking for adventure.
A friend of mine here did something like that ... he is a mathematician. One day he dressed up as a street bum, and stood on the curb holding a sign that said, "Will solve partial differential equations for food" !!!

He took a picture of himself with the sign and getup, and used it as a joke business card for years.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:09 AM

214 posts, read 554,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
A friend of mine here did something like that ... he is a mathematician. One day he dressed up as a street bum, and stood on the curb holding a sign that said, "Will solve partial differential equations for food" !!!

He took a picture of himself with the sign and getup, and used it as a joke business card for years.
Who says you have to dress for success!

Old 08-06-2009, 02:19 PM

66 posts, read 216,268 times
Just be weary, not all are just homelss because of conditions or circumstance. There is one that lives under the bridge by the big walmart on N reserve that is a registerd sex offender. Check the website, the bridge is his address.. not sure how he got that managed, but some how they accepted it.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,626,355 times
Missoula has over 200 sex offenders and a whole bunch of them list their address as homeless or transient. Many are listed as residing in jail and there are either apartment buildings or private mailboxes on Broadway that many list as their homes. A huge percentage of these sex offenders in Missoula did their dirty deeds in other states and eventually ended up in Missoula. I noticed one guy on the sex offender list whose crime was simple indecent exposure but many are hard core pervs.
I don't care much for Missoula, the high number of sex offenders, the panhandlers, the air inversions and the liberal atmosphere make the town unappealing to me.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:46 PM

9,870 posts, read 9,092,716 times
For those who may be wondering, "Tropic Lightning" (or the "Electric Strawberry") refers to the 25th Infantry Division. The division patch shows a lightning bolt on a taro leaf.
"BDU" stands for "Battle Dress Uniform", the original designation for the first generation camoflage uniforms.

MONTANANS have an "unhealthy obsession with labeling things leberal or conservative"?? It seems to me, from reading several different forums on Algore's internet, and from direct observation in more than one state, that the whole country has such an obsession, especially the so-called "mainstream media"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula