U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:19 AM

160 posts, read 258,222 times

Advertisements

My first response vaporized into cyberspace.

Rickers,

It seems we are in agreement. I believe we need an efficient social safety net. Mental health, substance rehabilitation, etc. I guess my main issue is with sane, able bodied people who choose to sponge off of society. They will never get a dime of my discretionary money. To say I was disappointed when I saw my first twenty something homeless male panhandling @ Reserve and I-90 in Mizz would be an understatement. My brother lives there and is happy. I chose the Swan for many reasons. To not be around these wood ticks played a very small part in that decision.

You have posted your life experiences here before. Congrats on re-establishing yourself. We all face adversity. I used to drink too much. I never got into trouble because of it (DUI, divorce, BK, etc.). But what was once a hobby became a maintenance issue over many years. My path was one of future health issues. So I stopped. Many cannot. There are mechanisms in place for these people if they so choose.

I know this is a hot-button issue for many. I believe professing the truth as you see it is always the best policy. Definitely not the most popular but the only one imo.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 10:38 AM

7,820 posts, read 13,426,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
Thanks. I haven't read this whole thread in awhile.

I am wondering if the one you speak of that is at the old wal-mart on Brooks is the one who says he is a vet, has blondish colored hair and a dog.
No, this guy is in California.

Because the climate allows it, there are a LOT more genuine homeless in SoCal... but I've yet to see a single one of them beg, EVER. If you talk to them, you often find the ones who aren't wacko are mostly under-employed, not leeches.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
When one lives with other homeless folks or lives homeless as a lone wolf and associate occasionally with the other homeless folks, you get a pretty good idea about why these people live like they do and you get a sense of weather or not the person is really homeless or not or if the person is mentally ill, just lazy or too drug addicted to ever get off the streets. There are so many different reasons a person ends up homeless or appearing to be homeless.
I lived on the streets for more years than I wanted to for a reason I wont go into now but these type of folks are all so different you can not put them in a bag and call them all bums. I lived in a car for two years while working a decent blue collar job simply because I had child support payments to pay and it didn't leave enough money for rent.
All very true, and a good example. And we're going to see a lot more of that what with rents now being so far out of line with average folks' incomes.

I'd like to see some of those old failed trailer parks and RV parks opened up to use by homeless folks (the real thing, not the leeches). There was a guy here who did that, and for a while had a whole bunch of folks who'd lost their homes (mostly employed but not making it) in RVs and camp trailers in his old RV park. County made him stop, tho. NOW where do those people go??

Old 02-27-2010, 08:37 AM

24 posts, read 117,335 times
I worked for a few years in Missoula on the U of M campus. There were certainly two types of homeless people that were often in the university area, especially on weekends. First, the local bunch, often with mental disabilities, some of which were friendly and some of which were in bad need of medications (or other types of help). The second group consisted of drifters who never stayed in town for more than a month or so. Sometimes these were hippish backpackers with dogs who might actually have rich parents somewhere back East, and trying to get to Portland, Seattle, California, etc. The other part of this group were pretty scary and seemed flat out dangerous. We had some shoplifting issues with this bunch and they seemed to be very forward in asking for change on the campus or street. The police seemed to focus on this bunch.

In a smaller Montana town, the local sheriff would immediately pick up any type of drifter, and depending on how dangerous they didn't seem to be, would fund their stay in a local motel. The understanding was that they would leave town the following morning.

Montana, and definately Missoula, has its share of interesting characters who travel through. It's kind of a drifter/hippy corridor that attracts those wanting a rugged travel experience. I once met a man with no shoes (and duct tape wrapped around his feet) who asked me for the quickest route to Alaska. He had a rucksack and not much more. I mentioned the nearest highway, but he wanted to walk the backcountry and survive in the wilderness. So, I pointed in the right direction, at a range of mountains, and pictured what would be the direct route to Alaska if one was crazy enough to try it. He assumably continued walking for the next 1000 miles or so. Lucky Alaska.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:08 AM

281 posts, read 782,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminszhere View Post
I can clearly remember the first two times I encountered homeless people. The first time was in the late 70's in San Francisco. I saw an older man digging through the garbage. It broke my young, idealistic heart. Back then they were referred to as 'bum's'. The second time, about 10 years later, I saw an apparently able bodied male with a sign saying 'will work for food'. Again my less idealistic heart was broken.

Same here. First time I went to SF -- I flew in, and was moving there at the same time. I had never been anywhere outside of my little midwest town in many years. I was not prepared at all to see that degree of homeless-ness. Definitely changed a part of me forever.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,883 times
It is like this because the local police allow it. Most cities have laws that prohibit panhandling.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:07 AM

164 posts, read 272,087 times
I never remember seeing panhandlers on the street corners holding "will work for food" signs until the mid to late 80's during the conservative Reagan years. That's the main thing I remember as a direct result of Reagan's policies - cutting funds that forced many mentally ill people out of hospitals onto the streets.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:56 AM
CTC

666 posts, read 1,295,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Well in our state the only places where you see street bums panhandling are the few towns that are left leaning. In the conservative towns panhandling is virtually nonexistent.
I don't agree with this. When I lived in Billlings there were plenty of panhandlers. Downtown,West End Mall etc

Old 12-30-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i35vagabond View Post
I never remember seeing panhandlers on the street corners holding "will work for food" signs until the mid to late 80's during the conservative Reagan years. That's the main thing I remember as a direct result of Reagan's policies - cutting funds that forced many mentally ill people out of hospitals onto the streets.
Actually it wasn't the funding, it was that laws were changed so people could no longer be committed against their will, as that was being roundly abused.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:25 AM

9 posts, read 10,286 times
You want to see panhandlers just move to Eugene Oregon I am moving out of Oregon and to Montana because I am sick to death of them. If any of you seen the South Park Night of the living homeless it is like living everyday here now. Change Change hey you got any change. NO BUT I DO HAVE 44spl for you bullet first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula