U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 12:33 PM

7,826 posts, read 13,436,393 times

Advertisements

Panhandlers 'work' areas where people give them money. (Most make very good money at it too, $100/day is the bottom end.) Don't give 'em money and you won't have any panhandlers. They are pros, they go where the money is.

Bozeman has a bunch of professional beggars with a regular 'pitch' (the spot one stakes out as his own) at Costco and Walmart. Didn't see any in Billings but so far have only made one trip to Costco and Walmart.

If you want to see a hella lot of panhandlers, try California, where the weather for 'work' is good a lot more of the time!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 11:21 AM

202 posts, read 438,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Panhandlers 'work' areas where people give them money. (Most make very good money at it too, $100/day is the bottom end.) Don't give 'em money and you won't have any panhandlers. They are pros, they go where the money is.

Bozeman has a bunch of professional beggars with a regular 'pitch' (the spot one stakes out as his own) at Costco and Walmart. Didn't see any in Billings but so far have only made one trip to Costco and Walmart.

If you want to see a hella lot of panhandlers, try California, where the weather for 'work' is good a lot more of the time!

Old 06-10-2015, 11:35 AM

And having now lived over at Billings for six months -- I still haven't seen any panhandlers. There are more obvious lowlifes downtown here, but haven't seen any with their hands out.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:51 AM

8 posts, read 6,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post

Actually panhandlers don't make a lot these days. True, back 15-20 years ago when you first started seeing people with signs, they made really good money. Sometimes as much as 500-750 dollars a day. And it's been going down ever since. Now instead of seeing 1 or 2 people holding signs every once in a while in most major cities there are literally hundreds of people holding signs 24 hours a day and the same people stake claim to the same corners everyday. They are oversaturated. I know several folks who do this it takes them 8 hrs sometimes to make 20 bucks but oftentimes will come back with apples, bananas, and oranges which they toss. People are just tired of them. Sometimes I will give to an elderly panhandler...someone whom I can tell is way past being able to work and I don't care what he spends it on....if a bottle of wine will ease his pain for a night....fine. But this whole "they make hundreds everyday and have bank accounts" is pure poppycock. Most are on welfare and foodstamps and they use the little bit of money they make panhandling buying a small amount of booze or some drugs.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBounce View Post
Actually panhandlers don't make a lot these days. True, back 15-20 years ago when you first started seeing people with signs, they made really good money. Sometimes as much as 500-750 dollars a day. And it's been going down ever since. Now instead of seeing 1 or 2 people holding signs every once in a while in most major cities there are literally hundreds of people holding signs 24 hours a day and the same people stake claim to the same corners everyday. They are oversaturated. I know several folks who do this it takes them 8 hrs sometimes to make 20 bucks but oftentimes will come back with apples, bananas, and oranges which they toss. People are just tired of them.
That's what happens to any oversaturated labor market. Same reason construction workers in SoCal are down to $10/hour... there are just too many Mexicans on every street corner, willing and able.

But where there's more money or less competition per donor, they still make enough -- otherwise there wouldn't be so many able-bodied people still doing it.

Tho I suppose otherwise, a lot of these wouldn't work; they'd do B&E for a living. We should be grateful they decided on begging as a career instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBounce View Post
Sometimes I will give to an elderly panhandler...someone whom I can tell is way past being able to work and I don't care what he spends it on....
Reasonable enough, but one seldom sees such elderly panhandlers. Door greeter at Walmart at least comes with benefits and a warm spot to sit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula