Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 06:39 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
The beggars are the same types you'll find in Portland Oregon, dirty dread-locked young runaway types and many are homeless and addicted to drugs (mostly heroin). Missoula as well as Portland Oregon are dominated by liberals who turn their heads the other way, ignoring and allowing the problem. These types are not tolerated in most other cities in Montana (there may be some in Bozeman also). These cretins generally are run out of the small towns as soon as they arrive.
I live in a VERY conservative area and the panhandlers and other street people are everywhere. So much for your "Blame the Liberals" argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 02:55 PM

136 posts, read 329,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
If they're like panhandlers most places, they're professional beggars, not homeless at all. A good pitch (a beggar's regular "workplace") is worth up to $100 a day -- why do real work when passersby will give you money just for looking pathetic?

Real homeless people are usually too proud to beg.

Funny thing is, you see a lot more career beggars in liberal areas, yet per IRS records from candidates for office (who must make this info public), conservatives give 5 times as much to charity as liberals do. There's a big difference between offering help, and demanding it.
We are thinking of moving to MT for a while, that is why I have been reading on this website. Just getting the feel for all things Montanan. We have loved it there both times we visited and are planning to visit in early spring.

Here in Florida ours can make upwards of $800 a day, maybe not lately but 5 years ago. We used to live near Orange Park and one killed another and his excuse was "he was in my (panhandling) territory". We have had problems like Daytona Beach busing homeless to Orlando and dropping them off and even New York City was flying them down to Florida and dropping them off. A young couple at our church tried to get a homeless guy a job but he quit, then another job and he quit. He finally told them that he didn't want to work, he liked the way he lived. I have no sympathy for panhandlers anymore, homeless- depends.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:47 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
I live in a VERY conservative area and the panhandlers and other street people are everywhere. So much for your "Blame the Liberals" argument.
Well in our state the only places where you see street bums panhandling are the few towns that are left leaning. In the conservative towns panhandling is virtually nonexistent.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:30 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLBFL50 View Post
Here in Florida ours can make upwards of $800 a day, maybe not lately but 5 years ago.
Holy.... We're all in the wrong business!!

Old 02-22-2010, 12:47 AM

281 posts, read 869,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired-of-mn View Post
Not every person with a sign is a bad person. Have you ever stayed in a shelter before?They are unsanitary and unsafe, its better to sleep outside.I was laidoff last fall and I am about to fly a sign to try and get some work or some help.In fact I have a bus ticket ti missoula and am going to try to hitch it to bozman.I have no money and flying a sign could be a lifesaver for me, so stop bashing it, its a constutional right to ask for help, free speach,as long as you are not agressive towards people.
There's nothing wrong with it no. But I am confused at times by what some homeless people really want.

Yesterday afternoon we went to K mart in Missoula. Had my 6yr old with me. As we approached the door I noticed a gentleman seated by the front door with his dog and a sign stating "need food". I did not have cash on me. I hardly carry cash these days.

All the while I was shopping, I made the decision that if I came back out and the man was still there, then I'd offer to go buy him some food and bring it back. So I made the offer to him to go get him some food and he said "No, I just want money and I'll go pick it up myself". I explained to him that I didn't carry cash, and that if he just told me what he needed I'd go pick it up and bring it back. Well, he not only refused, he became angry. Then he told my daughter, "If your mama doesn't go get some cash I'll sick this dog on you".

That was it. That did it, and I walked away. It left me feeling angry.

If they fly a sign asking for food, but then refuse it, then exactly what are they wanting the money for?

I also want to add that I'm not bashing, I just want to understand how we can help some of these folks. I see many of them are still out and about, even on very cold days. And I'm seeing many of the same folks when I'm in town, especially down town. I don't know much about Missoula and their situation with helping the homeless. I wonder if there is a food kitchen, or a good shelter.

Last edited by Heart; 02-22-2010 at 01:21 AM..

Old 02-22-2010, 01:27 AM

418 posts, read 487,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
The beggars are the same types you'll find in Portland Oregon, dirty dread-locked young runaway types and many are homeless and addicted to drugs (mostly heroin). Missoula as well as Portland Oregon are dominated by liberals who turn their heads the other way, ignoring and allowing the problem. These types are not tolerated in most other cities in Montana (there may be some in Bozeman also). These cretins generally are run out of the small towns as soon as they arrive.
hahahaha

That's what I like to hear. As my misanthropy flourishes and blooms like a beautiful rose, Montana is looking pretty sweet.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:59 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
There's nothing wrong with it no. But I am confused at times by what some homeless people really want.
Read back thru this thread -- lot of info about it. The ones begging with signs are professional beggars, not homeless. They make a good living at it. So of course they want cash, otherwise they don't "get paid" for their "work"!!

There's a guy here who has his pitch over by the old Walmart, probably the highest traffic location in town. Once in a while he gets rowdy and sits there drinking beer in public, which is illegal so then the cops pick him up. They say he always has about $5000 in cash on him, and that's despite being arrested and having it confiscated about once a month.

Making a good living at it, indeed.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:12 AM

281 posts, read 869,790 times
Thanks. I haven't read this whole thread in awhile.

I am wondering if the one you speak of that is at the old wal-mart on Brooks is the one who says he is a vet, has blondish colored hair and a dog.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:53 AM

160 posts, read 301,221 times
I can clearly remember the first two times I encountered homeless people. The first time was in the late 70's in San Francisco. I saw an older man digging through the garbage. It broke my young, idealistic heart. Back then they were referred to as 'bum's'. The second time, about 10 years later, I saw an apparently able bodied male with a sign saying 'will work for food'. Again my less idealistic heart was broken.

Fast forward to today. After a lifetime of busting my a$$ and being bled at an ever increasing rate to support the ever growing population of 'non-producers', my heart has been hardened. I'm talking about habitual section 8'ers & welfare recipients, young able bodied men, etc. I made a decision to not give any cash to these people. I'm still young enough to open a can of 'whoop a$$' if necessary and believe me, these cowards can smell testosterone. I mean come on, a guy getting aggressive with a mother and children. I'm the type of person who would give him an immediate ethics class. I would consider it a public service.

IMO, people need to call BS on inappropriate behavior. We have been PC'ed into marshmallows.

In summary, to say I was disappointed when I saw my first Montana beggars at the I-90 on-ramp @ Russell would be understatement.

Rant off.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:45 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
When one lives with other homeless folks or lives homeless as a lone wolf and associate occasionally with the other homeless folks, you get a pretty good idea about why these people live like they do and you get a sense of weather or not the person is really homeless or not or if the person is mentally ill, just lazy or too drug addicted to ever get off the streets. There are so many different reasons a person ends up homeless or appearing to be homeless.
I lived on the streets for more years than I wanted to for a reason I wont go into now but these type of folks are all so different you can not put them in a bag and call them all bums. I lived in a car for two years while working a decent blue collar job simply because I had child support payments to pay and it didn't leave enough money for rent. I have given my jacket literally off my back to a homeless guy once but for the most part I tell tell them to "GO GET A JOB" if I believe them to be employable. Many are simply too addicted to drugs or alcohol or mentally ill that they just will not be able to work even if they wanted to. Some need help --- some can just go to hell, especially the clown who wanted to knock my head off because I wouldn't give him 2 dollars. Any panhandler that ever got uppity with his fists with me because I may have been rude saying "GET A JOB" ended up getting a jail sentence. I will help a very few but only if I can and want to.
Been there done that, and I have very little sympathy for those who did it to themselves like I did.
Fortunately I managed to get myself out of the streets and get a life, now I have rental properties.
"Life's is great if ya don't weaken", --- or if ya don't get sick, or ya don't get in an accident, or ya didn't finish school, or a natural disaster hits that ya couldn't recover from, etc, etc, etc. Many regular people are right on the edge of homelessness with folks losing jobs and running out of unemployment these days.
I am happy to say that our town doesn't have any homeless people.
God help them if there are any here, we had 31 below zero not including wind chill, THREE WEEKS BEFORE WINTER EVEN STARTED !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula