U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:30 AM

6,023 posts, read 12,594,474 times

Advertisements

I think there is gold in the Teton river. The last time I was up in there I saw a guy using a rocker in the stream and when we passed he gave a "deer in the headlights look". I think I know his secret gold finding spot now ! Suction dredging in the crevices between the rocks and boulders can produce some gold in many streams not well known for holding gold. There is still a lot of gold in the rivers and streams, it's just not easy to get at it. Remember that a gold pan is really a prospecting tool, not an efficient gold mining or collecting tool.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 12:50 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,616,961 times
Default Sapphire info...for what it's worth.

South and east of Missoula is the Phillipsburg Valley....it lies on the east side of the Sapphire Range. This area in Montana offers some of the best hunting for Sapphires. If you're N/W bound on I-90 toward Missoula, exit # 154 onto Hwy #1 and follow the signs for about 60 miles.

My daughter's husband was raised in that area and over the years accumulated quite a number of different colored sapphires. His collection ranges from various shades of green to blue, orange, yellow and red. Totally pure and clear Red Sapphires are commonly called Rubies.

He surprised her (many years ago) by having her engagement and wedding ring set with serveral perfectly clear Yellow Sapphires. She was thrilled and gets many comments to this day.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:52 PM

7,820 posts, read 13,427,868 times
Haha, if only we could harvest the "gold" off the wheat fields!!

I'm terrible about rocks and flowies. Either one can steal my attention at any time, and I still come home with pockets full of rocks and seeds My granddad was a serious rockhound (and had good cutting and polishing equipment, wish I knew where it went!) so maybe it's inherited

Old 02-13-2010, 09:00 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,471,801 times
Oh my gosh have you seen this show?
American Pickers - History.com
It is a good example of a habit I am trying to cure. The dryness of EM makes all these junk piles cry out to be picked and all the rocks of course after the farmers plow!

Old 02-13-2010, 10:25 PM

674 posts, read 1,011,106 times
There's gold around Helena and south of town. After all, iHelena was "discovered" by the Four Georgians who were looking for gold, and found it on their "last chance." Hence, the name "Last Chance Gulch," Helena's main street. Go south out of town on the Gulch, toward Unionville. We used to pan gold as kids, with some success. The old Brewery used to sell jars of dirt out of its back yard for tourists to pan there. Also, over near Bannack. It can still be found as the river comes down out of the hills.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:54 AM

6,023 posts, read 12,594,474 times
Here is an old picture of Kendal along with a few current ones. We visited the ruins not long ago and I think the old town-site is owned by the boy Scouts Of America. I think many of the streams in the general area of these old mining towns may still have some gold. Another method of finding gold is to go over the old tailing piles with a metal detector. More than a few nuggets were missed in the early mining activities and are still just sitting in those piles. The first picture is of the miners and families at Kendal celebrating "Miners Union day" in 1906.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula