Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 01:57 PM

240 posts, read 504,598 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Can a person rent a nice older apartment in Missoula and live comfortably/enjoy the ammenities of Missoula on $35,000 a year salary?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 10:16 PM

188 posts, read 548,633 times
I would think so. I rented a 2 bed 1 bath duplex with a yard and garage for around 500-550/month. Although that was 5 years ago. It really depends on your other expenses, such as kids, car payments, etc.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:57 PM

161 posts, read 562,652 times
Since I am also considering Missoula, I also would like an opinion on cost of living.

I know I cannot afford the homes there, but I think I will be fine with the rentals, which is what I want anyway.

Right now, I pay $500 a month in N Dakota for a 1 bedroom apartment. It appears that I should be able to get something (maybe less sq footage) for about that price or maybe up to $600. I have no car payment or insurance since I don't drive, and obviously no property tax since I rent. I am single, so I have no children to support.

If I transfer with my company, I already know my wage will not decrease. I live a very simple, non-elaborate lifestyle. That being said, after all my expenses, I have about $600 to spare each month where I am now.

Will other things in Missoula be so expensive that my $600 a month that I have extra not cover? I know groceries may be a bit more, but being that I am single, I don't buy that much anyway.

I was reading some apartment reviews, and one person was complaining about her utility bill. She said something about how the bill was not just for her own usage. Someone else had posted a reply saying that "you obviously don't know how apartment utilities work in Montana".

Can anyone elaborate on this?

Old 08-29-2008, 08:39 PM

139 posts, read 472,675 times
There are numerous ads for rentals after a Google search of "apartment rentals in missoula"

Places 4 Rent

As silly as it sounds, even craigslist has some good stuff from time to time.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:03 PM

130 posts, read 428,517 times
Each time I visit Missoula, I fall more and more in love with it. Just FYI.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 17,602 times
We are thinking about moving to MT and are having a hard time deciding where the best place would be to live we both need jobs and have 2 kids living with us can anybody help out as to where the best jobs are and the cost of living in not real bad.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 17,602 times
we plan on renting for a while, I have training in elderly care and I also havr training to work in group homes for troubled kids. my husband knows carpentry, and construction.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:46 PM

41 posts, read 143,641 times
Default currently rent in MSO

I currently rent a 2bd/1ba apartment at the base of the south hills in Missoula for $575/month. This is a little on the low end since I'm in an older building, but you could definitely find something close to this price. As far as other costs go, my gas/electric bill is anywhere from $40-$120 depending on the month. Gas right now is around $3.80/gallon.

Overall, Missoula isn't too expensive. However, we do have pretty low wages. I work in the Human Resource department of one of Missoula's largest employers and many out-of-state applicants are shocked when I tell them the wage scales for our positions.

Missoula is an amazing community, though. So you pay to live here one way or another. Many people gladly take pay cuts to live here.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 7,016 times
I am considering a move to Missoula for school. I am looking for an institution that offers a degree in Veternary Technology or Zoology. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, I would love some help locating an apartment and any info concerning the cost of living in Missoula. Specifics like gas, utilities, rent, groceries, etc would be great. Also, hows the weather out there? Do you have four seasons like here in Michigan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula