Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 04:11 AM

20 posts, read 59,946 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm going to Truman State Uni this August. And I'm from a reigon that is not too cold in winter (the coldest temprature is about 35-37F).

Now I'm kind of afraid I can't stand the winter there because I heard that it could be 10-12F for daily low...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 06:56 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
You will do just fine. Yes sometimes it can get even below zero for a day or so.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:56 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,452 times
In December and January don't be suprised to wake up to temps below 0 F*.

brushrunner

Old 06-29-2010, 07:38 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
Better plan to have some winter clothing and shoes.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:21 PM

38 posts, read 138,924 times
If you are aclimated to a warmer region then please do get some sweats, jeans, couple sweaters, pair of insulated gloves, a stocking cap, a decent winter jacket, and practical tennis shoes. Don't go overboard and dress/buy like you are going to the mountains, but be practical. Most college kids live in sweats and jeans I think anyhow.

The low in 24hrs overnight can be 10 or 12F say in January. The worst is actually ice. You'll do fine with the temps.

I've met folks that have moved to N. Mo from the south and they seem to freeze to death. They usually just layer up. Tshirt, sweatshirt/sweater, jeans, coat. Just peel off a layer as you need.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes_00 View Post
If you are aclimated to a warmer region then please do get some sweats, jeans, couple sweaters, pair of insulated gloves, a stocking cap, a decent winter jacket, and practical tennis shoes. Don't go overboard and dress/buy like you are going to the mountains, but be practical. Most college kids live in sweats and jeans I think anyhow.

The low in 24hrs overnight can be 10 or 12F say in January. The worst is actually ice. You'll do fine with the temps.

I've met folks that have moved to N. Mo from the south and they seem to freeze to death. They usually just layer up. Tshirt, sweatshirt/sweater, jeans, coat. Just peel off a layer as you need.

Thanks! I'm a little freaking out and this really helps me.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:45 PM

Don't freak hun. We usually only get bad temps for one month.

There is also a Wal-Mart there in Kirksville. You can scrimp and grab a special if you have to.
Remember that anything you bring with you, you will have to take back. Plus laundry!

Pack and organize really well. If you are going home somewhere between seasons you might just keep it at home to bring back with you. Maybe take one season clothes home and bring others back if need be.

Something my husband mentioned. Buy a flannel sheet set for your bed and a nice comforter. I don't know if you are staying at the dorms or renting. You might consider an electric blanket depending on how well your room is heated at night.

I found some averages for you. Monthly Averages for Kirksville, MO

Old 07-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes_00 View Post
Don't freak hun. We usually only get bad temps for one month.

There is also a Wal-Mart there in Kirksville. You can scrimp and grab a special if you have to.
Remember that anything you bring with you, you will have to take back. Plus laundry!

Pack and organize really well. If you are going home somewhere between seasons you might just keep it at home to bring back with you. Maybe take one season clothes home and bring others back if need be.

Something my husband mentioned. Buy a flannel sheet set for your bed and a nice comforter. I don't know if you are staying at the dorms or renting. You might consider an electric blanket depending on how well your room is heated at night.

I found some averages for you. Monthly Averages for Kirksville, MO
Thanks! Actually I'm a foreign student and it could be nearly 9 months being far away from my home in Truman. I'm thinking about my baggage and trying to orient it to the environment there.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:55 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Wind. Have at least one jacket or pullover that has the ability to block wind. Buy a set of long underwear as well, layers are best. Bass Pro in Columbia or online is your friend. Orschlen's is a local (statewide) farm/feed store that also sells some appropriate winter outerwear/longjohns, boots, etc. at reasonable prices. I'd rather see you support them than Wal-Mart. Warm socks, waterproof hiking boots, hat.... really, compared to states further north Missouri has somewhat gentle winters.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:04 PM

Definately Orschlens! You can't go wrong shopping for great clothing there. Here's a link for the Kirksville location. Shop Kirksville Orscheln Farm & Home for pet supplies, livestock supplies, wild bird feeding, lawn & garden supplies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri