Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,511 times

Advertisements

I actually moved here last November, and due to reading some of the posts on here, (you know who you are!) I was worried that the neighbors would be suspicious, paranoid and not open to eastern transplants. The exact opposite it true. Although they do refer to my dh as "NY". Another one...all the bachelor men on my road all know how to bake! Part of the incredible self-sufficiency that runs into other areas. Cows are inscrutible...not like horses, where you can figure out what they are thinking by ear position, body language, etc. The sky here is gorgeous...sunrises, sunsets, unbelievable cloud formations. Wild turkey is delicious. Language differences: Torqued = mad, stout = stocky, funny sayings, like "rough as a cob" (my favorite). The lack of guardrails, even on the first exit at Springfield. Guess the Darwin effect is allowed here. The variety of birds (have seen eagles, flycatchers, bluebirds, pure white doves, killdears, hawks, etc.) So far it's been a blast, and even better than I imagined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 09:00 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Ah, so you like muddy reservoirs over clear oligotrophic lakes. I take the Northwoods lakes anyday of the week. To each their own.
I notice that you seem to like to diss almost everything. Cannot seem to be very many threads that you don't diss something. What is so wrong with the Granite state that you left here and went back but continually live on this forum.

Your continually dissing the threads seems to take away the kindness of them. IMO

Old 07-09-2010, 09:54 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
No preconceptions. I grew up in a neighboring state, but had only ever been to St. Louis and Hannibal before I moved to KC. I had absolutely no previous conception of KC whatsoever, it really wasn't on my radar at all.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:28 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Homesteader View Post
You are right on with your post about there being no comparison, MN and WI lakes are full of Minnesotans and Wisconsinites and ours are not. No one would like our muddy resovoirs at all and they would be much happier in Louisville at your much vaunted pond and fountain world.
I am only living in my current location on a temporary basis. Somehow I doubt you have been to any lakes in the northwoods to draw any direct comparisons. For starters, I would recommend Pelican Lake in MN or the Eagle River chain of lakes in WI.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:32 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I notice that you seem to like to diss almost everything. Cannot seem to be very many threads that you don't diss something. What is so wrong with the Granite state that you left here and went back but continually live on this forum.

Your continually dissing the threads seems to take away the kindness of them. IMO
I guess I am not entitled to any opinions on that issue How many Missourians have ever been to the northwoods? I would wager very few.
They are really missing out Highly recommend

Old 07-09-2010, 04:58 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I initially moved from NJ to the KC 'burbs. I thought it would be more Christian, more country, and there might be less services. I was wrong. It felt very familiar; in fact you could move Overland Park to New Jersey and no one would be able to tell the difference.
Then I moved to rural Missouri. Many stores not open on Sunday, or even Saturday, or maybe not even on any set schedule. Most social activities are church sponsored. There's no cable service here. Cell phone and satellite reception can be spotty.
I also never expected it to be this beautiful, so beautiful that I think I fall in love a little more every time I drive home. I didn't expect the air to smell so good. I didn't expect people to be so friendly; not sugary-friendly like in the south, but just honest to goodness friendly. I miss pizza, bagels, and Chinese food, but have tried and adore Missouri barbeque and country/home cooking. I never expected to be so happy here, but I am. I love visiting my out of state family, but I am always glad and a little relieved to come home to Missouri.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:53 PM

40 posts, read 73,338 times
Quote:
I am only living in my current location on a temporary basis. Somehow I doubt you have been to any lakes in the northwoods to draw any direct comparisons. For starters, I would recommend Pelican Lake in MN or the Eagle River chain of lakes in WI.
I wasnt being disparaging over Minnesota or Wisconsin (I grew up in Michigan and have been all through both states and like them both), I was being disparaging of your post. I also agreed with you, the lakes here are so bad no one wants to ever go to them and I dont know how we will ever survive with no one coming to visit our sad lakes.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Ah, so you like muddy reservoirs over clear oligotrophic lakes. I take the Northwoods lakes anyday of the week. To each their own.
Shame on us for building muddy reservoirs that no one likes instead of clear oligotrophic lakes. So how do we get one of them there clear oligotrophic lakes in Missouri, anyway?

Old 07-10-2010, 06:44 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Shame on us for building muddy reservoirs that no one likes instead of clear oligotrophic lakes. So how do we get one of them there clear oligotrophic lakes in Missouri, anyway?
You can't.

There was a quota of 10,000 to be split betweemn Minnesota and Missouri.

Minnesota took all of them.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:41 AM

694 posts, read 1,356,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
OB - Wikipedia says "Oligotrophic lakes generally host very little or no aquatic vegetation and is relatively clear, while eutrophic lakes tend to host large quantities of organisms, including algal blooms."

These here olig ... oleo .... otrph .... oh whatever he called em lakes might be purtier than an old sow wallering in the back forty, but I figure lakes filled with bass, crappie, catfish, and money dropping fishermen and tourists, is a might more productive than 10,000 postcard purty swimmin' holes pert near anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri