Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:50 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelD View Post
The person who wrote the above over-the-top criticism obviously has an ax to grind.
I would have to agree. I'm looking hard at Hannibal for retirement next spring (moving from the left coast) and in my "dealings" with Hannibal people online, they've all very helpful and friendly. I'll be flying out to see first-hand in a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 09:47 PM

14 posts, read 44,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I would have to agree. I'm looking hard at Hannibal for retirement next spring (moving from the left coast) and in my "dealings" with Hannibal people online, they've all very helpful and friendly. I'll be flying out to see first-hand in a few months.
If you do move to Hannibal, just remember union jobs are the bread-and-butter of Hannibal's tax base, and much of its politics.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkIll View Post
If you do move to Hannibal, just remember union jobs are the bread-and-butter of Hannibal's tax base, and much of its politics.
LOL! Someone's been surfin'.

I'll be retired so who's employed by whom and union or non-union will be the least of my cares and concerns.

What I need to know is which diner the old farts meet in every morning to drink coffee together and tell lies.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:10 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I spent some time in Hannibal recently. I was considering moving there....

The original poster was asking about problems and possible improvements... I hope they're still monitoring this board and are someone with power to make changes happen and that that was his/her reason for asking....

Hannibal is a town filled with history. It breaks my heart to see Mark Twain's home it's current condition. One of America's true icons... Mark Twain. I assume that tourist's come there because of that... and, because Hannibal's subtitle is "America's Hometown"

Hannibal is a town full of extremes... extreme poverty.... extremely dirty. Hannibal has a noticable homeless population. I don't understand that in a town so small.

My biggest complaint about Hannibal is how dirty the town is. There are mattresses in the alleys and garbage everywhere. Apparently, the town doesn't have public garbage pick up. So, if resident's don't pay a private company for garbage pick up - it just piles up. The garbage companies apparently charge extra for mattresses and other large items... so, they just lay around in yards and alleys rotting.

There is no zoning in Hannibal. So, you have beautiful, historic houses and right next door you have a dump that is falling down. Apparently, the city doesn't care...

It's too bad. The Mississippi River there is beautiful and there are many artists living in the area... but, I wonder what tourists tell their friend's about Hannibal when they go back home??

Is Hannibal a destination or a disaster?
I agree pretty much with a lot of what you have said about Hannibal. Hannibal seems to me to be one of those Midwestern river towns in decline, much like Alton, Illinois. You would expect them to be doing better, but probably advances in technology are most responsible for these towns declining the way they did...they didn't have the economy or size to find a way to survive other than their relationship to the river commerce, which has declined. St. Louis and the Quad Cities probably swallowed up their chances of flourishing.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:13 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Quote:
LOL! Someone's been surfin'.

I'll be retired so who's employed by whom and union or non-union will be the least of my cares and concerns.

What I need to know is which diner the old farts meet in every morning to drink coffee together and tell lies.
You make those old farts sound like a bunch of alcoholics who still haven't stopped drinking

Old 12-31-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
You make those old farts sound like a bunch of alcoholics who still haven't stopped drinking
Nah! Only some seasoned people with just the right amount of time on their hands who enjoy one anothers' company and tend to be early risers.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:08 AM

7 posts, read 24,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I agree pretty much with a lot of what you have said about Hannibal. Hannibal seems to me to be one of those Midwestern river towns in decline, much like Alton, Illinois. You would expect them to be doing better, but probably advances in technology are most responsible for these towns declining the way they did...they didn't have the economy or size to find a way to survive other than their relationship to the river commerce, which has declined. St. Louis and the Quad Cities probably swallowed up their chances of flourishing.
Again, don't agree. Example: recently when I was looking at real estate in Hannibal I checked for foreclosures just in the course of my research, given what is going on around the country, but learned that Hannibal as a smaller conservative town didn't really get involved in that sub-prime mess and as a consequence the RE prices have held relatively steady during this market decline and the foreclousure market is very small. In addition, a huge new Lowe's Home Improvement Center just opened in Hannibal a month or so ago, which by my estimation is certainly a vote of confidence for not only the town but the area, in general. I visited again in early December and my in-laws took me down town to a new trendy oven-baked at least semi-gourmet pizza restaurant which had opened a few months back and then to a specialty cheeze shop and then we drove around the city and through some really nice sub-divisions to see the Christmas light displays. I was again, fairly positively impressed. Clearly, the town is not all things to all people, and a lack of bigger-box stores in which to get certain items one might need is a tiny bit of a concern for me, but those items are easily available at Quincy, IL, a mere 20 miles away. So given the trade off of a great small town, with historic archetecture, a thriving 'old town' shops district and the small town feel, I still believe Hannibal would be a great place to retire as I intend to do. My sister and BiL are fond of taking Saturday and sometimes Saturday / Sunday one-tank trips around the surrounding area and have been to dozens of interesting places in the area, small towns, vineyards, art exhibits, etc, far more places of interest than one might expect and way more than I have seen in the congested thriving mess of southeast Florida, by comparison, and immensely less stressful too. As well, almost forgot, Hannibal has a virtually new regional hospital on the west side which is quite beautifully done and this tends to bolster even further my view that the town seems to be keeping pace as needed. It would really be good to see people try to look for the good in a place versus a lot of negative things, seems. Even so, regards to all.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:12 AM

7 posts, read 24,146 times
Quote:
Nah! Only some seasoned people with just the right amount of time on their hands who enjoy one anothers' company and tend to be early risers.
Curmudgeon, you seem like the kinda guy I'd enjoy a cup of coffee with and someone with the right attitude. So when I find the diner what do I say as I enter, "Is Curmudgeon here, today?" In any case, I'll keep an eye out for you.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:21 AM

I'll second that where you're concerned, Colonel. I should be easy to spot. After all, I'm from California. Doesn't that mean shorts, loud shirt, shades, sandles and black socks up to the knees?

See you in the Spring!

By the way, have you connected with http://forums.hannibal.net/boards3/?

Old 01-19-2009, 02:17 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,270,506 times
Default Shopping

Hannibal has terrible shopping.
It has the usual super WM, but that's it.

It does have some interesting antique & resale shops down in the old part of hannibal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri