Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 12:42 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Hannibal has terrible shopping.
It has the usual super WM, but that's it.

It does have some interesting antique & resale shops down in the old part of hannibal.
Perfect! Neither my wife nor I are real shoppers and when we do buy it's usually online or through catalogs.

But promise not to tell her about the antique shops, OK? I brought a number of family antiques into the marriage and she's enjoyed adding to them way too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 05:44 PM

14 posts, read 44,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
LOL! Someone's been surfin'.

I'll be retired so who's employed by whom and union or non-union will be the least of my cares and concerns.

What I need to know is which diner the old farts meet in every morning to drink coffee together and tell lies.
Pretty sharp, too!

I recognized you from Hannibal.net. Just researching my own move back to the Hannibal/Quincy "metro"-plex.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:22 AM

7 posts, read 24,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Hannibal has terrible shopping.
It has the usual super WM, but that's it.

It does have some interesting antique & resale shops down in the old part of hannibal.
Hannibal's Wal-Mart is not nearly as 'super' as most of those going up these days, but at least it's a Wal-Mart. Better yet, though, is Lowe's just finished their new store right over near Wal-Mart a few months ago. That's the best news ever, but not quite enough yet to get me to resettle there. Maybe if the winter temps were no cooler than 50 or so, or if there was a military installation within 50 miles or so, that would do the trick. But not yet.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:10 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelD View Post
Hannibal's Wal-Mart is not nearly as 'super' as most of those going up these days, but at least it's a Wal-Mart. Better yet, though, is Lowe's just finished their new store right over near Wal-Mart a few months ago. That's the best news ever, but not quite enough yet to get me to resettle there. Maybe if the winter temps were no cooler than 50 or so, or if there was a military installation within 50 miles or so, that would do the trick. But not yet.
Have you considered the Manhattan, KS region? It is growing economically, has a military installation nearby, and is home to a KSU. Winter temps can get cold, but many days have highs in the 40s and 50s with full sun. The scenery is pleasant with rolling hills, some trees, and the Konza Prairie Biological Reserach Station. This is basically a rare tallgrass prairie ecosystem that attracts biologists from all over the world.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:56 AM

4 posts, read 10,731 times
Default Perspective

I would just like to first say hello to all. I have read many of the posts in this forum and see a vast difference in the responses. I would like to denote that any information provided by me is based solely on my experiances in Hannibal and my own personal neanderings.

I lived in Hannibal for a good portion of my life, the years I did not I still visited on every other weekend. Hannibal in my eyes is the epitamy of small town America.

-Crime-
There is no where on this earth that has yet to become crime free. Crime will forever be present, its how the elected officials and community deal with the ravages of crime that define the town. Hannibal has tried tirelessly to upkeep the clean image one would expect from a title as bold as "Americas Hometown". The downtown area is very quiet at night, there are no prostitutes on the street corners as some would lead you to believe. I have traversed the downtown area many times in the dead of night, and the only thing thats present is the peaceful rustle of the trees planted along the strip. The strongest presence is the youth that ride along the streets meeting up with friends and hanging out. Once they are old enough to drive this is main social setting and you will find adults following the same flow, meeting up at the park to light up a BBQ and relax in fold out chairs enjoying life.

-Trash-
The downtown area is the main focus for clean up. It is immaculate due to its economic standing, we depend on tourism to bring in majority of the funding to keep the down town businesses afloat. Hannibal does have some sections of the town that have fallen into the trashy category, due mainly to the owners lack of maintenance and care, these areas are generally inhabited by very low income families who may not be able to keep up with the maintenance financially. The highways are maintained by the state along with those that volunteer to clean up the small amount of clutter. There are some buildings around the downtown area that should have been demolished several years ago, but I have noticed the city starting to refurbish some of them. The old theatre for example. I also heard news of a movie theatre errected downtown which shows that the city is interested in cleaning up its act so to say. I believe that the cities officials are focusing more effort on the downtown area and will continue to enhance the downtowns apperance while keeping the historic feel.

-Attractions-

Hannibals attractions are aimed at the tourist. They are the life blood of our little slice of heaven. So most attractions wont open till spring time and will run the duration of the tourist season which is generally the summer and fall months. There are samuel clemens(Mark Twain) look alikes that do a superb job of filling the rather large shoes of such a well rounded Icon. We have the beautiful downtown area filled with shops and restaruants. The light house that has been visited by a Presidents Roosevelt, Kennedy, and Clinton. Survivor of the Titanic Molly Brown's house. One of the greatest views of Hannibal is from atop Lovers leap, a wonderful place to look over the hills, and trees that the mighty Mississippi snakes through. Fall is in my opinion the greatest time to see Hannibal. There is just something magical about the way the town seems, nestled into the hills surrounded by the trees as they shed their lush green for the fall colored leaves. If your big on hunting then that too can serve as an attraction. The areas outside of city limits are littered with various fields, and forest. A natural haven for BIG DEER!

-People-

Hannibal residents are very friendly, and very well mannered. They are quick to wave, give a greeting and hold the door open for others. Expect a wave returned for ever one rendered...a little military humor there. Hannibals size creates a bond between its citizens. We are a family. There are always going to be the "bad apples" but they are few, far between and outshined by the rest of the populace. The small size also allows news to travel as quickly as the wind. So you can always get an ear full of the latest gossip which is usually more up to date than CNN. haha.

-Geography-

Hannibal is surrounded by rolling hills, and forest. If your an avid hunter, hiker, camper or nature enthusiast. Then you will fall in love with this place. the only issue with the hills is in the city many of the roads go right up them, causing issues in the winter months(nothing that cant be solved with a 4x4). These hills are avoidable as well, just dont get a house on one. If you know where sierra and booker street are then you know where I grew up. We made it just fine in winter...thanks to pops chevy if we can do it anyone can. I can say that I hate winter...after all the years away from winters chilly grip on either the east or west coast or here and it can become the greatest down side to returning to the midwest!

-Closing-

I know that you may read this and feel that it sounds more like a brochure than a post but I can ensure you that I am not being paid for this haha. I am a 21 year old Corporal in the Marine Corps(explains the spelling mistakes right). I am currently deployed to Iraq and have spent my alloted half hour online at the resource center talking up the town that I love. I have been to many cities, and places through the U.S. and have found none that can hold a candle to the inhabitants of Hannibal. It leaves no question in my mind why such a great and intelligent man as Samuel clemens would reside there. I myself cant wait to return to the warmth of our cozy little town nestled into the rolling hills. If you would like to contact me feel free to send me a message on here, Im not sure when or if I can check if for the duration of my deployment but will respond to you when I do. There is so much more that could be added to this but I will leave that up to you to add things not noted.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:21 AM

Default My apologies

I realize that my original post was not within the scope of what this forum is about. I read some of the other posts and felt that I should give insight as to the positive things hannibal has to offer. If you are thinking of moving to the area then it is pertinent. One issue that I had growing up is the lack of activities for youth. My peers and I sought refuge in the "gravel pit" the area by the levey that was next to the Hannibal bank. The last I had heard young adults were not allowed to gather there any longer. There is very little for the younger generations to do, aside from the movie theatre, football, soccer, and baseball games (go Pirates!).

Old 04-29-2009, 07:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL.LOLLAR View Post
I realize that my original post was not within the scope of what this forum is about. I read some of the other posts and felt that I should give insight as to the positive things hannibal has to offer. If you are thinking of moving to the area then it is pertinent. One issue that I had growing up is the lack of activities for youth. My peers and I sought refuge in the "gravel pit" the area by the levey that was next to the Hannibal bank. The last I had heard young adults were not allowed to gather there any longer. There is very little for the younger generations to do, aside from the movie theatre, football, soccer, and baseball games (go Pirates!).
I think your post was perfectly within the scope and you provided valuable, first-hand information and perspective.

As for the rest, this former Army grunt Major from the 60s and 70s, the son of a Marine Corps career aviator, salutes you!

Semper Fi!

Old 05-02-2009, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,681 times
I was taught that if I had nothing good to say then say nothing. I didf not listen then and I am not going to start now. I think it is great that people have warm and cuddly memories of hannibal. I however do not have such memories. I was brutally beaten and stomped, kicked, and bludgeoned with a steel chair requiring me to need hospitalization for treatment. My memory to this day is faulty at best. The moral of the story is the men responsible for this are free today. I have never witnessed a more brutal beating than I took. I have filed charges and await justice. We will see if America's hometown rises to the occasion. That was nearly 4 months ago and still no prosecution.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntkaneeryah View Post
I was taught that if I had nothing good to say then say nothing. I didf not listen then and I am not going to start now. I think it is great that people have warm and cuddly memories of hannibal. I however do not have such memories. I was brutally beaten and stomped, kicked, and bludgeoned with a steel chair requiring me to need hospitalization for treatment. My memory to this day is faulty at best. The moral of the story is the men responsible for this are free today. I have never witnessed a more brutal beating than I took. I have filed charges and await justice. We will see if America's hometown rises to the occasion. That was nearly 4 months ago and still no prosecution.
I guess my perspective is tainted by combat.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:37 AM

I hope that justice is swift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri