U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 12:20 AM

2 posts, read 5,329 times

Advertisements

Ok so we are also moving from Cali. TOO much crime, too many people, too much drugs, too much everything. I am terrified of the tornadoes and would like to know how often they get them in these cities, 1st realtor said they never have seen one in and near mansfield since they have been there and 2nd agent said they get them all the time. Not sure what to believe. We are looking in these areas.... Cabool, Stover, Conway, Stockton, Ava, Clinton, Eldridge, Mountain Grove, Belle, Doniphan, Fairdealing, and Vanzant. Those are towns with houses we are going to look at. Our favorites are Belle, Doniphan and Mountain Grove. Can anyone tell my any info about the towns I have done lots of research so I know what they say about crime, population, races, churches, schools, etc. I would like to know the real stuff, is it as great as it sounds. We want small towns with nice neighbors we dont mind everyone knowing whats going on with all, good schools as we have 4 small children. Also my mom is a Pharmacy tech, does anyone know how hard it would be for her to find a job in or near those towns? Thanks so much for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 04:41 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,242,566 times
Default Tornadoes

[quote=4JsMaMa][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"][font="Lucida Console"][font="Tahoma"]Ok so we are also moving from Cali. TOO much crime, too many people, too much drugs, too much everything. I am terrified of the tornadoes and would like to know how often they get them in these cities, 1st realtor said they never have seen one in and near mansfield since they have been there and 2nd agent said they get them all the time. Not sure what to believe. We are looking in these areas.... Cabool, Stover, Conway, Stockton, Ava, Clinton, Eldridge, Mountain Grove, Belle, Doniphan, Fairdealing, and Vanzant. Those are towns with houses we are going to look at. Our favorites are Belle, Doniphan and Mountain Grove. Can anyone tell my any info about the towns I have done lots of research so I know what they say about crime, population, races, churches, schools, etc. I would like to know the real stuff, is it as great as it sounds. We want small towns with nice neighbors we dont mind everyone knowing whats going on with all, good schools as we have 4 small children. Also my mom is a Pharmacy tech, does anyone know how hard it would be for her to find a job in or near those towns? Thanks so much for all your help.
Just so you know, the further east you go in Southern Missouri the less likely you'll see tornadoes, though, they certainly can happen anywhere in the state. Stockton, one of the towns you mention, was wiped completely off the map by a mile-wide tornado back in May of 03. They've rebuilt most of the town, but you can still see the scars and it's quite an eye-opener to drive around and realize the size that tornado was, and the damage it did. My first day looking at properties out in the country was southeast of Stockton about 20 miles. It was June 5th, 05 and it was a day of scattered thunderstorms. I found myself watching the birth of a tornado in the sky about a mile from the rural property I was looking at. It never touched all the way down, the funnel jumped up and down, but we got the hell out of there. Since I've lived north of Springfield, several tornadoes have hit north, to the east, and to the south of town. March 12/13th (if I recall correctly) were very scary nights as the tornadoes came early in the morning around 1am. I keep the radio on and friends will call me if the tornado sirens go off in Springfield as I can't hear them where I am. But I've stopped worrying about it. I can tell you that I looked in Ava and that area east of Springfield for properties too... I didn't like it. Too wooded and rough terrain. I prefer more toward Stockton out of the areas you listed.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:12 PM

278 posts, read 1,055,022 times
Most states get them even in calif we do and in Idaho they do also. All I would worry about is do you have a safe room storm shelter at home and like any were you will always have some thing to look out for. Me I would rather deal with some thing that most of the time you know it is coming, or at lest have an idea it could. By watching the weather learning about it you get to know when and what makes them. But earth shakes well they just hit. Being I have done a bit of search and rescue in one (1989 Loma Petra) along with relief add .it was no fun. when a tornado is over it is over but the shaking can go on and on and keep damaging things even when your trying to help others you can become a victim by a new shaking . So for me I respect tornados but do not let them make me fear full at all just respectful.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:40 PM

75 posts, read 86,323 times
Default Tornadoes

Being worried about tornadoes in the midwest is sort of the same as someone from here avoiding California in case an earthquake strikes. It's just one of those things that is real, but rarely applies to your life, and it shouldn't be a reason not to move here. We have spectacular thunderstorms here, and we DO get tornadoes - you'll hear the sirens and notice that most of your neighbors will take a five second glance at their televisions to see which counties are lit up. If it is your county, you will notice most of your neighbors just look up at the sky or even go out on their lawns to see what is up. No one will look terrified (unless they just moved here lol).

When a tornado threat becomes real and very close to home, you go to wherever you've already established you will be the safest - most homes here have basements, and that is where you go.

Once you move here, you might find, as many of us do, that the incredibly thrilling storms we get in both spring and fall are half the reason we stay. There is nothing quite like them - intense, gorgeous, a little intimidating - and if they come in the middle of the night - that is some of the loveliest, deepest sleep you can get.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:21 AM

3 posts, read 4,876 times
We need more people moving to our town with children!! Up the enrollment! Cabool is a great place to live. We have a pharmacy in town and a walmart pharmacy in Mountain Grove, and another pharmacy in Mountain grove.
Patty

Old 09-18-2007, 09:21 AM

48 posts, read 122,722 times
Belle is a quaint little town, they have a small pharmacy and are 15-30 mins from several more. Your kids could grow up on a farm and everyone knows everyone and looks out for all. They don't have much as far as amenities but no one seems to mind. They are only 30 mins away from movie theatres, shopping malls, restaurants, etc...
I think you would like it there.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:59 AM

116 posts, read 412,620 times
See this is it right here. These are the things you dont get in the city, strangers helping one another for no other reason then to just do it. You very rarely get that in the big cities on the east and west coast. I cant wait to move out to Missouri. I have made up my mind this is the state we will move to just have to figure which towns fit into my ability to find employment.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:25 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,788,713 times
They told me I was the last person from Cali the State of Mo was accepting...

Old 09-18-2007, 06:55 PM

25,464 posts, read 12,495,944 times
Wink Oh, Really???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Hey there CaliBassman: we might take just a few more from Cali. Got a coupla spots available yet.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:00 PM

526 posts, read 1,153,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Oh gee, I hope that doesn't include a former Cali now in Arkansas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or