U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 12,637 times

Advertisements

I would like to move and after looking around as I passed through the area, Id like to know if Carthage, MO is worth futher looking at. It seem the houses in my price range are not that great. but as the handy guy Iam maybe thats not to big of an issue.
My needs arent that great, good sewer, water, gas, electric, and High speed internet. Night life would be a plus, being a city slicker a reneck bar might not be a good thing. Lay it on the line the good bad and ugly I need to know.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2006, 10:50 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,118,297 times
Talking All about Carthage

Carthage is a nice town,many people who were born here leave after high school and end up coming back.Some quick facts (I'll let you decide if they are pros or cons)
1. Local government is pretty much a "good old boy" type, with the same families running things for a long time
2. Just passed a big school bond for a brand-new high school and re-distribution of students between other schools to reduce crowded classrooms
3. Large population of Hispanics due to Butterball turkey co. and area chicken farms, but they generally create few problems and we have TONS of Mexican restaurants.
4. Football team usually sucks,band is consistently good,FFA very active,softball and soccer for kids very popular.
5. City fathers are proud of our historic homes and actively strive to promote tourism
6.Somewhat restrictive city ordinances ie...dogs must be penned or fenced,NO tieing out allowed,yard sales require a $1.oo permit with rules about sign placement,no RV's or boats parked on street, etc...
7. New business N end of town created a HORRIBLE stench(business called RES),mostly under control due to local outrage and intervention of EPA,governor of MO and other regulatory people.
8.Joplin MO 20 miles away,with very good hospitals,shopping,some clubs,physicians.Carthage is building a brand-new hospital with maternity facilities
9. For really good entertainment,Springfield is 1 hour away,Kansas City 2 hours,Tulsa 2 hours
10. No local public transport so to speak,private car is a must
11. Popular things to do:Float trips,lakes,fishing,hunting,antiques,Branson,Eurek a Springs ARK,drinking,
12.Local events:3rd weekend in October is the Maple Leaf Festival with the largest parade in the area,car show,events all week,Marion Days in August hosts 50,000 Vietnamese families who camp on the Catholic Seminary grounds for a week.
13 Lots of options for computer hook-up,cable or Dish or DirectTV,cell phpne etc, good local mechanic,many churches,video stores,Walmart Supercenter,local W&E plant provides power,
14. Most jobs are in Joplin,although Carthage has several big plants including HE Williams,Leggett and Platt and Schriebers.
15 Home prices tend to be higher than surrounding areas,with acreage just outside city limits considerably higher.If you want to live WAY out,prices are reasonable.
16. Small-town,friendly atmosphere,Walmart is the place to visit with friends and most people know their neightbors,whose kids work at the local restaurants,lots of inter-related families.
Hope this helps. I would be glad to answer any specific questions you have. All in all, this is a very nice community and many people settle here for generations. I have lived here 23 years and married a native and will probably stay here forever. We do have our problems like most other communities here, mostly meth-amphetamine or alcohol related. Have a great day!

Old 08-20-2006, 03:19 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,147,381 times
How does Carthage compare to Joplin? My DH and I were considering Joplin but several people we've talked to have given in a thumbs-down. Because of this, we've been focusing on Kansas City.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:04 AM

Joplin is a much bigger town,with more bars/clubs,restaurants,shopping,manufacturing etc.But it does not have the charm,character or small-town intimacy of Carthage.Many people live in Carthage but work and shop in Joplin.Neither have the cultural or job opportunities of KC,but cost-of-living is much lower here.How about some specifics-interested in jobs,healthcare,schools or what?

Old 08-21-2006, 03:40 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,147,381 times
My husband and I are primarily concerned with the job market. The stats we found online for all of western MO are promising. He is a mental health counselor; I am a social worker. We are more concerned w/ him though because we plan on having children and I will stay home with them, once we are settled somewhere. Basically, our goal is to settle where we can live comfortably on 1 income, which is almost impossible in NJ for the sort of work he does. We are simple people - we were more excited about the drive-in movie theater in or near Carthage than we were about 5 star restaurants and elite private schools. We have been shying away from the Joplin area because my aunt (in Kansas) said she heard Joplin was kind of run down, and a girl I met from Kansas City said there was a lot of crime and ghetto-ness. Do you think that is true? We are going to visit regardless but we were disappointed to hear these things. We had only planned on working in Joplin and living outside of it but we would rather work in a city that is somewhat safe.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:20 PM

Joplin has what I would term "blighted" areas in it's downtown,esp. sections of Main Street and a few blocks either direction of Main.The downtown area is in the process however of being rejuvenated.Most houses in this area and a couple other places are simply old and not maintained,somewhat trashy.Not like "projects".I would not feel comfortable walking alone through these areas.Carthage also has its share of rundown areas,though not as extensive because it is a smaller town.These are mostly inhabited by Hispanics who work at the poultry plants.I see many more people walking and jogging or bicycling the streets of Carthage than in Joplin.We have a lot less traffic to deal with and wide streets.I think most crime in both places have a lot to do with the methamphetamine problems in this area.Domestic violence,car break-ins,and drunk driving are the most common,with an occasional convenience store robbery.Most people I know have NOT been crime victims.As far as schools go,Joplin seems to have a big problem with overcrowding.Carthage just passed a bond issue this year to build a new High School and redistribute students through the other schools to avoid crowding problems.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:29 PM

PS We are very proud of our drive-in theatre,many shows this summer have been sold out.We also have an amateur stage group(Stone's Throw Theatre),the Precious Moments Chapel(I'm not personally a big fan,but some people are)are home to several artists and host the Maple Leaf Festival the 3rd weekend in Oct.Tens of Thousands of people come for the largest parade in SW MO and the High School band competition.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:01 PM

4 posts, read 22,498 times
Default Carthage is a good place to live!

I'm not sure what your price range is but as an agent here in Carthage I know there are alot of quality properties for you. As for the nightlife carthage has a few small bars but most of your clubs are in Joplin which is only 15 minutes away. We have great people here in town and quality school districts. Carthage would be a great place to move to from Wichita.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:06 AM

6 posts, read 35,658 times
you need to drive thru joplin before you make a decision based on what someone "heard" about the city.
lots of building of homes and businesses going on here. much remodeling of older homes. some shabby areas or homes here and there but no "bad" neighborhoods in my opinion. you might want to check out the crime statistics for yourself as i'm not aware there is much of a problem here. and, i don't believe i have ever seen the ghetto or observed any ghettoishness or whatever. we have a chamber of commerce here. you might give them a call.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:30 AM

103 posts, read 470,593 times
Grew up in Washington, just outside of Seattle, have lived in Spokane and Portland and my wife, two kids and I moved just outside of Joplin eight months ago.

I love it here, but will return home to be closer to friends and family. The Joplin area, Carthage included, is very family friendly, there is pleny to do (with my family) and the cost of housing makes PNW folks laugh when I tell them how low it is.

Granted, I don't expect to see the Eagles live and in concert here when Hell Freezes Over Part 12, but that really isn't such a bad thing either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri