Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving soon, interested in opinions on best moving companies, Sasha transport, Moving, INC., Two Men and a Truck, customer service, moving services, cheap movers

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:13 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,549,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4inMO View Post
kareybear
I agree with all of what Boof had to say with ABF. We are one of the CA transplants to MO. We downsized before the move and thought that we wouldn't use the whole truck, but we did. Try to pack in smaller boxes. Use the big boxes for lighter things. Might be a little more work in packing, but easier on the loading and unloading. Make sure to blanket the furniture well. We had a few rub marks. I also heard that ABF might now offer storage of their trailers like pods?? Not sure. Good luck!!!!
Thank You all for your info. ABF does not deliver to my area unfortually. I am packing most of my stuff with heavy duty file boxes with handle and got extra large boxes for bigger items. Thanks again. I think I will be going with Movings, INC. since they are highly recommended by Better Business Bureau and they also offer full coverage insurance and I would save $1500 by using them with full coverage insurance.

My other question I have read leave folded clothes in drawers. Is this true or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 02:41 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
Thank You all for your info. ABF does not deliver to my area unfortually. I am packing most of my stuff with heavy duty file boxes with handle and got extra large boxes for bigger items. Thanks again. I think I will be going with Movings, INC. since they are highly recommended by Better Business Bureau and they also offer full coverage insurance and I would save $1500 by using them with full coverage insurance.

My other question I have read leave folded clothes in drawers. Is this true or not?
Yes, if you are moving your dressers leave everything in them. Nita

Old 06-27-2007, 08:06 PM

791 posts, read 1,819,596 times
Quote:
kareybear
I also heard that ABF might now offer storage of their trailers like pods?? Not sure. Good luck!!!!
G4inMO,
Thanks for the thumbs up. You are correct, ABF will store your belongings in their trailer, and we'd considered that as an option....until we found out it was $400/Mo. OUCH!!! And your advice on using small boxes for most packing, with large boxes being saved for light items, is right on the money!!! Good advice!!!

One of our neighbors said she used 2 Men & A Truck and she gave them high marks. She said they charged $84/per hour +travel time, but said they packed everything with shrink wrap & blankets and were very quick & professional. She HIGHLY recommended them, so I'm going to call them to have them move us to our new home. Well, it's not New New, but it's new to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Yes, if you are moving your dressers leave everything in them. Nita
Kareybear,
I'm sorry to hear ABF doesn't go to your destination. They are a great company to work with. What you and nmnita state is correct. When we moved, we went to Lowe's and got big rolls of shrink wrap and everything with drawers got wrapped. It was the best thing we could have done. It saved time packing all that stuff, and saved space from the boxes that would have been used. It also helped when we wanted to insulate our big speakers...DH just padded it with cardboard and shrink wrapped the snot out of it. It worked GREAT!!!!

ADDENDUM TO MY PREVIOUS POST: When moving, make sure to have at least 1 dolly, preferrably 2. It will save you time & strain on your back, and for the real heavy items...it's a MUST HAVE!!!

As far as insurance coverage, it's smart to go with a company that insures your belongings. We were covered by our homeowners insurance in addition to ABF's coverage.

Moving is a very stressful event. And I'm with Da Jammer, (BTW...THANK YOU) in that
Quote:
The next time I move is gonna be in the back of a coroner's van because this one was not a whole lotta fun at all.
Best of luck to you KareyBear.

Boof

Old 06-28-2007, 06:55 AM

Boof thanks for Encouragement. I really need it. Moving , INC can not move until the end of August. So I won't be going with them. I am having a company named Coastal Carrier come give me an estimate today in fact. I checked this company out with Better Business Bureau and they had 1 complaint since they have been business.
Thank You everyone for the tip about leaving clothes in the drawers than shrinkwrap the dresser. What a great idea? I will be doing that.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Boof thanks for Encouragement. I really need it. Moving , INC can not move until the end of August. So I won't be going with them. I am having a company named Coastal Carrier come give me an estimate today in fact. I checked this company out with Better Business Bureau and they had 1 complaint since they have been business.
Thank You everyone for the tip about leaving clothes in the drawers than shrinkwrap the dresser. What a great idea? I will be doing that.
You are VERY welcome. I just wish you the best of luck on your move. I hope everything goes smoothly for you. It's a very stressful time, and you are being very wise to investigate and reasearch your plans beforehand. Especially by checking with the BBB. They are always a good source of valuable information. Hopefully you are saving yourself alot of grief.

Boof

Old 06-30-2007, 04:33 AM

Urgghhh one steps forward and two steps back. Finding a rental in my area is getting difficult. I am stressing now more than ever. I can't seem to find a decent home for us to live in. Every person I screen called says the place is great we should be pleased with it and my husband works 12 hour days doing welding in the scorching heat and then on his day off after he does his laundry he check these rental out. All the houses he had looked at are scuzzy and he would never in his life let his family move in there. We aren't rich people but we would like decent clean home for my family to live in. Not only that I can't seem to find a reasonable price mover as well or the ones I want to move for me can't do it around my date.I am not giving up yet!!! It is just so frusterating. Sorry I had to vent!!!

Old 06-30-2007, 08:14 AM

318 posts, read 726,972 times
I looked in your previous threads... Where are you exactly looking for rentals?

I totally understand your frustration. We moved from CA to MO and ended up building instead of buying. When we moved here we stayed w/friends for a short time, eventhough it felt like much longer... Two families, 4 kids ages, 6,8, and two 9 year olds was alot. We wanted to remain friends, so we ended up buying a 5th wheel to stay in while our house was being finished. Keep a smile on! It will all be worth it!

Old 06-30-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I looked in your previous threads... Where are you exactly looking for rentals?

I totally understand your frustration. We moved from CA to MO and ended up building instead of buying. When we moved here we stayed w/friends for a short time, eventhough it felt like much longer... Two families, 4 kids ages, 6,8, and two 9 year olds was alot. We wanted to remain friends, so we ended up buying a 5th wheel to stay in while our house was being finished. Keep a smile on! It will all be worth it!
I am currently looking to rent in Moberly area since my husband is working at the Thomas Hill Plant right now. I don't want to buy until I know for sure where we want to live. My kids and I haven't seen daddy for two months. We just want to live close where he his working while I go explore in Missouri to figure out where we can transplant.Also it is so hard to look for rental or even homes while I am here in North Carolina.

You just reminded me of my past. My husband is also a builder and he was building us our home in Calif on his parents land. We slept on a School Bus but we were able to use the kitchen, garage bathroom and laundry room at his parents house. We also paid monthly rent too.When the house was finally finished we stayed at the house for 5 months until the rug got pulled under from us. Long story ! But we had to get a lawyer and got at least half our money that we spend on building the home. It was a Nightmare especially I had a 1 month old baby at the time. I would love for my husband to build another home for us but we don't have the money for him to be out of work to do that. Sorry I am rambling again.LOL Got to vent some how right.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I am currently looking to rent in Moberly area since my husband is working at the Thomas Hill Plant right now. I don't want to buy until I know for sure where we want to live. My kids and I haven't seen daddy for two months. We just want to live close where he his working while I go explore in Missouri to figure out where we can transplant.Also it is so hard to look for rental or even homes while I am here in North Carolina.
kareybear,
Your situation is so similar to ours...in that you're trying to find a rental from out of state. Boy, what a task that is!!

One thing we did, was contact the Chamber Of Commerce for the cities we were considering. Some of them had a list of known landlords in the area, and they faxed me the lists so I could call to see if any of them had properties available. Word of caution....hardly anyone called me back.

Another thing we did was went to online newspapers to see what they had listed in their Classified sections. Some of them were for property management offices that had websites you could use to view available properties.

The bad thing is that without pictures or being there...you still won't know what the area is really like. It's a 'Catch 22' situation, either way.

Here is a link to a list of online newspapers for Missouri. You can see if there are any listed for the area you are looking to relocate in.

kareybear, I really feel for you...you have a tough job ahead of you. At least your husband is in the area to view potential properties for you....but that's gotta be a real drain on him after having worked all day. But, like you said, once you get here, you'll be able to 'explore' Missouri and get a better feel for where you want to settle down in.

Good Luck to you. If I can think of anything else, I'll be sure to let you know.

Regards,
Boof

PS: It's ok to ramble & vent once in a while....it clears the mind.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boof View Post
kareybear,
Your situation is so similar to ours...in that you're trying to find a rental from out of state. Boy, what a task that is!!

One thing we did, was contact the Chamber Of Commerce for the cities we were considering. Some of them had a list of known landlords in the area, and they faxed me the lists so I could call to see if any of them had properties available. Word of caution....hardly anyone called me back.

Another thing we did was went to online newspapers to see what they had listed in their Classified sections. Some of them were for property management offices that had websites you could use to view available properties.

The bad thing is that without pictures or being there...you still won't know what the area is really like. It's a 'Catch 22' situation, either way.

Here is a link to a list of online newspapers for Missouri. You can see if there are any listed for the area you are looking to relocate in.

kareybear, I really feel for you...you have a tough job ahead of you. At least your husband is in the area to view potential properties for you....but that's gotta be a real drain on him after having worked all day. But, like you said, once you get here, you'll be able to 'explore' Missouri and get a better feel for where you want to settle down in.

Good Luck to you. If I can think of anything else, I'll be sure to let you know.

Regards,
Boof

PS: It's ok to ramble & vent once in a while....it clears the mind.

Boof It soooo feel good to vent. I already head of you on the tips you mention to me.Thanks you for the tips anyhow. I am praying that I will find a place for us to live soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri