Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 06:08 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,980,454 times

Advertisements

The lender won't give-up the title until the balance is paid. He's perfectly able to drive his car across State lines without any repercussions form them.

My Son wouldn't get a MO driver's license if we leave the car titled in PA. He'll be a graduate student at Wash U, so it really is a temporary thing.

I can't believe all the hassle to transfer a car to MO to be honest with you. In PA, this would be a 5 minute trip to AAA. All our DMV stuff is done by mail or online. We use AAA because members get all the fees waived....you only pay the State fees. You sign some papers, show proof of insurance, show proof of ownership (a registration card), and you get a temporary plate. A permanent plate sticker will arrive in the mail within 30 days. It's up to you to get the car inspected once a year. You don't need to prove it's done to get a plate....you just run the risk of getting caught without or an expired inspection sticker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 07:20 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
The lender won't give-up the title until the balance is paid. He's perfectly able to drive his car across State lines without any repercussions form them.

My Son wouldn't get a MO driver's license if we leave the car titled in PA. He'll be a graduate student at Wash U, so it really is a temporary thing.

I can't believe all the hassle to transfer a car to MO to be honest with you. In PA, this would be a 5 minute trip to AAA. All our DMV stuff is done by mail or online. We use AAA because members get all the fees waived....you only pay the State fees. You sign some papers, show proof of insurance, show proof of ownership (a registration card), and you get a temporary plate. A permanent plate sticker will arrive in the mail within 30 days. It's up to you to get the car inspected once a year. You don't need to prove it's done to get a plate....you just run the risk of getting caught without or an expired inspection sticker.
Yeah well we do it different in Mo. Him being a student in a college town will most likely be no problem. imo. Should he start to get scrutinized then things might change.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:13 PM

380 posts, read 963,082 times
Quote:
That's crazy!

I'm going to advocate he just leave the car registered in PA.....no emissions test, no taxes, and he won't have to jump through twenty hoops just to get a plate.
Chill, KoobleKar - the kid is going to be driving on Missouri roads, maintained by taxes paid. You are delivering the wrong message when you advocate that he look for a way around the laws in his new home rather than complying with the law. As far as emissions, I don't know about you folks in Pennsylvania but here in Missouri we like to breath clean air.

We're originally from Wisconsin and the taxes we pay in Missouri, including sales tax, personal property tax and real property tax are a bargain compared to what we paid back there!!!!

Old 07-31-2010, 10:35 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,535,745 times
Maybe you should reconsider allowing him to come to such a backwards place. We also eat squirrels sometimes, usually while waiting in line to get our license plates. Excuse me while I tune up my banjo.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
That's crazy!

I'm going to advocate he just leave the car registered in PA.....no emissions test, no taxes, and he won't have to jump through twenty hoops just to get a plate.
Unless your son is going to be an undergrad student in Missouri or military and maintaining a permanent address (driver's license, taxes and voting) in PA, that would be FRAUD.

Seriously, at the level of graduate school, isn't he capable of doing his own research and work on transferring his vehicle license/registration?

Old 08-02-2010, 08:47 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
By taking the vehicle out of state without letting the lien holder know, your son is probably also violating the terms of the loan, which would entitle them to repossess the car if they chose. Be a good citizen and get the title from the lender and transfer it over in St. Louis. You may also put the car's insurance in jeopardy if you're not telling them that the car is in Missouri-- and if you do tell them, the lender may be the next to know...and then the Missouri Department of Revenue.

My former employer.
Actually, he'll have to get the $12 inspection which is a piece of cake. Depending upon the year of the car he may also need to have it smogged. That's only required in St. Louis and Kansas City. The statement of non-assessment from the county clerk can be called for on his cell phone from the DMV and it costs $5 to have it faxed which will be collected there.

So he goes in to the Department of Revenue/DMV (private contractors, small offices) with his drivers license his PA licence plate(s), the inspection form given when it's inspected (lights, wipers, steering, brakes, that's it. Takes 5 minutes) and proof of insurance. Calls the city or county clerk who immediately faxes the cert. of non assessment (thats a freebie for a partial year), takes an eye test and a six question highway sign recognition test (they will give him a sheet of the signs if he goes in a day or two ahead) and in about 20 minutes he walks out with a new drivers license, new license plates and a form letter to send to his lien holder for the transfer of registration to MO, and a temporary registration for himself.

It's a bit of a hassle but painless and then he has nothing to worry about. The fees are cheap and the "property tax" he'll pay every year thereafter for the car is likely less than annual registration costs in most states. Before he goes to the DMV I'd recommend he tell his insurer where he lives and gets a proof of insurance for MO from them.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:25 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,726 times
While the registration of an out of state vehicle here in MO may seem like a royal pain in the posterior it really isn't. I thought it was kinda nuts when I moved here until I actually started the process and found it really wasn't that big of a deal. State law says one must register their vehicle within 30 days of establishing residency in MO and while I'm unsure of the penalty for not doing so here I know in my former state of CA the CHP actively encourages neighbors, coworkers etc to rat out those who fail to register their vehicles in the manner prescribed by law, and when you get nailed it can get real spendy in a hurry.

Last edited by da jammer; 08-03-2010 at 05:00 PM..

Old 08-04-2010, 08:21 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
To clarify something on the DOR site, which says, Effective January 1, 2010, motor vehicles are exempt from the safety inspection requirement for the first five years following the model year of manufacture. This is true regardless of whether or not a change of ownership occurs during this time frame. However, if you're registering the car for the first time in Missouri (coming from out of state) you still need to have an "odometer/VIN verification" inspection which you can get at any inspection station. I learned this by experience.

To the OP: go with the flow. There's some things about Missouri which are a little wacky, and I'm sure there's some things in Pennsylvania which are screwed up, too. And on the personal property tax, your son will not have to pay any until December, 2011. It is based on what you own on January 1st, and then the bill comes the following December. Since he will have not owned anything in Missouri on January 1, 2010, he won't owe anything this December.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,184 times
I wish I never moved to Missouri. I have been in the DMV five times and I am playing phone tag with Georgia trying to get the title and property tax papers sent here just to get a tag. If I were still in Georgia, I'd have a tag in five minutes. I am going on two weeks trying to get a tag still. I hate Missouri. They make everything so hard for you. If you have a car, it'd better be in perfect condition and paid off because if not, you'll have to pay 500-2000 to fix whatever these criminals claim is wrong with your car before you can pass inspection and get a title. Its ridiculous.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:27 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesdayt View Post
I wish I never moved to Missouri. I have been in the DMV five times and I am playing phone tag with Georgia trying to get the title and property tax papers sent here just to get a tag. If I were still in Georgia, I'd have a tag in five minutes. I am going on two weeks trying to get a tag still. I hate Missouri. They make everything so hard for you. If you have a car, it'd better be in perfect condition and paid off because if not, you'll have to pay 500-2000 to fix whatever these criminals claim is wrong with your car before you can pass inspection and get a title. Its ridiculous.

so move back to Georgia and be happy again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri