Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:59 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
I agree. Nice to see the people fighting this. I'll spend some time in a jail cell before I'll let my government force me to purchase ANYTHING.
Isn't this the main argument for single payer? Glad to know you and I are on the same page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 12:05 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
3. If Democrats didn't show up to the poll it would suggest that they were disinterested enough that they didn't feel Obamacare was worth defending.

Again see my correlation about the age of most primary voters.

And no, most people weren't that excited to get out and vote for something that will have absolutely no impact on anything whatsoever. Shocking, I know.

4. The wording of Proposition C was less convoluted than much of what I have seen on ballots. If you are suggesting that people are too stupid to read and comprehend a ballot and that this law simply passes because people were confused that is downright insulting.[/quote]

That's not just my opinion. A Florida judge threw out a similarly worded proposition from their November ballot because it was misleading.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:51 PM

150 posts, read 426,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I don't see what the point was. A state-level vote cannot overturn federal regulation, no?
No, it doesn't really do anything, and that is possibly why a bunch of Dems didn't show up. However, when it comes down to it, if someone is being forced into doing something they don't want to do, something that is basically unconstitutional, they can show that there is record in Jefferson City saying they don't have to do it. Then maybe this person would take it to the Supreme Court. I know it doesn't really do anything, but you still have to fight. Plus I thought the results were cool as heck. Whenever I hear Patriots standing up for their freedoms, I think it is cool.

Cheers,

Fawkes

Old 08-05-2010, 01:37 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
No, it doesn't really do anything, and that is possibly why a bunch of Dems didn't show up. However, when it comes down to it, if someone is being forced into doing something they don't want to do, something that is basically unconstitutional, they can show that there is record in Jefferson City saying they don't have to do it. Then maybe this person would take it to the Supreme Court. I know it doesn't really do anything, but you still have to fight. Plus I thought the results were cool as heck. Whenever I hear Patriots standing up for their freedoms, I think it is cool.

Cheers,

Fawkes
It is important to note that Proposition C became law in Missouri immediately upon its passage.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:47 PM

886 posts, read 2,226,211 times
MO is retarded....

I'd like to know actual voter turnout. The results seem nice on paper, but I wonder how many supporters didn't bother to vote because it's a vote that is worthlses and means nothing? I always vote, and I didn't care about this. It has no authority.... and depending on what the real numbers are for the turnout, it may not hold any substational symbolic weight either.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I agree. Nice to see the people fighting this. I'll spend some time in a jail cell before I'll let my government force me to purchase ANYTHING.

Really? You need to head over to jail then since you let the government force you to pay for:

1. streets
2. sewage treatment
3. police departments
4. Pointless waste of money and lives with 2 wars
5. etc...

Old 08-05-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post

Cheers,

Fawkes
Whenever I see people who are selfish and not decent enough to help their fellow citizens... I think it's very sad. It's no different then looking the other way when someone gets mugged or shot.

The biggest problem with "Obamacare" is that it didn't go far enough, and should have had a public option.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:56 PM

307 posts, read 802,785 times
Quote:
You'd rather just let people who choose not to buy healthcare (for whatever reason) get treated for free, and the cost get passed on to you? Yeah, that seems pretty logical.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:58 PM

307 posts, read 802,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
Whenever I see people who are selfish and not decent enough to help their fellow citizens... I think it's very sad. It's no different then looking the other way when someone gets mugged or shot.

The biggest problem with "Obamacare" is that it didn't go far enough, and should have had a public option.

People complain about having to pay so many taxes to support those who won't work, yet they have no problem paying higher premiums because some folks won't buy health insurance (for whatever reason). Shows how fickle people are...let a Republican propose this idea, it would have been then greatest suggestion ever.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 PM

974 posts, read 1,587,301 times
It is not a left/right thing. It is a "the government has no right in telling me what I can and cannot do with my money" thing. They have no right to tell me I have to purchase something. And yes that means auto insurance as well. And lets not get started on the stupid seatbelt law. I wear my seatbelt, but is should be my CHOICE, not someone that sits in the back of a limo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri