Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 04:45 PM

5 posts, read 22,861 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of any fun bars to go to.

Also I have been hearing a lot about "float" trips... what is this exactly.

and last thing I have a boat are there any good lakes to go to other then the ozarks within an hour?

thanks everyone you have all been great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 05:16 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,561,298 times
Check out this link for things to do around Rolla:
Attractions in Rolla, Missouri
Are they fun things? Well, that you can decide for yourself.
Remember, Rolla's not a very big town. But it's also not terribly far from STL and the Ozarks.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:19 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,852 times
I mainly go up that way for fishing and Hunting on Mark Twain National Forest Land.

brushrunner

Old 08-11-2010, 07:10 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
If you choose a "float trip" just understand that there are laws about the possession and consumption of alcohol on Missouri's waterways.

Float Trips in Missouri *

Old 08-11-2010, 07:37 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,904 times
I can shed some light on "float trips". Basically, you either rent or bring your own kayak, canoe, or raft, plus enough provisions for the day. Usually beer and snacks. If you rent a craft, the outfitter will provide a life jacket, paddles, seat cushions, etc. You may either put in the river at the outfitters, then end your float at their take-out point, or be taken upstream (usually in a bus) where you float back to the outfitters and your car. I prefer the latter because you are not required to meet a certain time. Once on the water, kick back, relax and enjoy the float! Stop on the gravel bars to mingle, or swim.
A few notes about WHEN and WHERE you float- some rivers are known party spots, and will be VERY crowded with lots of drunken revelers on a hot summer weekend. If that is your style, go for it. If you want some quiet time to enjoy wildlife, and just admire the natural scenery, then springtime, fall, or midweek is your best bet. Ask around, you will find out which spot suits you best.
There are a few rules about floating Missouri rivers. Public nudity happens A LOT but it is illegal and law enforcement patrols the most popular rivers. Also, no glass is allowed on the river and you should take all trash with you. This is an entertainment most enjoyed with a group of friends. Give it a try!
Personally my husband and I float alone or with a few select friends, in areas NOT congested with drunks. We have our own kayaks and simply love the quiet of nature coupled with clear, flowing water. Direct message me if you need more info.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri