Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:17 PM

38 posts, read 262,244 times

Advertisements

I am in the middle of a toss up between 2 houses that I like. One is in Laddonia Missouri, the other Marceline Missouri. Both houses appear to be in the same good condition. The one in Laddonia is 12,ooo more and is slightly bigger.

Herein lies my dillemma................I like Marceline as a town better. But my whole family likes the Laddonia house better than the Marceline house.

I realise that employment opportunities are scarcer in rural towns. That is what scares me most.........but how scarce are we talking?

This will be a relocation from St. Louis County. I am a single mom. My son is in elementary school. I have a high school education. That's it. I am used to working for minimum wage or slightly higher. Unfortunately in St. Louis, living a decent life is a struggle at best with that kind of income. I want to own my own home, and live in a community that is a good place to raise a kid, one that I am not going to be the 'poor' one at. Somewhere my son won't always be a 'have not' in school. I want to find a community where folks earn about what I do (my best year was a few hundred short of 30,ooo) so that we are all about in the same place. I want a good place to raise a kid, removed from all the 'bad' stuff in big cities (like drugs and gangs). I want a simplier lifestyle.

What can anyone tell me about these towns? Or if there are any other towns out there that you can recommend to me that would fit my needs better............? I am looking to keep in the $30-45xxx range for a home cost and need a minimum of 2 bdrms.........Closer to STL is a plus since all my family is there, but decently available employment, access to good schools, and reasonable travel time to employment and shopping is more important.

Thanks in advance for all of your input..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 05:52 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,058,452 times
Greetings. Curious, a few questions:

How did you narrow or come to look at these two particular communities?
What skills do you have, what opportunities/positions are you looking for?
Or, do you already have something lined up in either/both of these towns?
You do realize, unfortunately, that drugs are not confined to just StL?

Whereas Laddonia is ~1.5 hrs from StL, Marceline is ~1.5 hrs from KC.

My wife's oldest brother lived in Marceline for quite a few years - from my recollections of talking w/ him and his family, they liked the town, but,,, opportunities are scarce there.

You mention your needs, can you post more regarding them? For example, just how far would be too far from StL? What kind of jobs/career are you looking for, have experience in? Live in the town, or live in the outer country side, outside of the town? What kind of shopping would suffice, W-Mart & strip mall types on weekly basis, and then larger stuff on monthly basis, or...? Etc.?

Old 06-27-2007, 06:37 PM

I have not so great credit (mainly because I have no established credit). I know that I cannot afford to live in the St. Louis area, although I was born and raised here. I was previously struggling to pay apartment rent of $700 monthly. I need a 2 bedroom. So that really jacks the price up. Also even the cheaper areas of STL are a little pricey for me (st. ann, overland, etc. still boast house prices of approx $100,000 for a modest 2 bdr.) And any neighborhoods that have housing costs that I can afford are a little more on the dangerous side, and I don't want to raise a child in that environment. So I started looking for housing that was more affordable. But with my credit, and the fact that I didn't want to purchase a home OVER $75,000, my only option that I have found so far was for a USDA guarenteed rural home loan. Which I was approved for. Anyway, that loan covers rural areas which works out better for me....since the housing prices are more affordable and I am searching for a bit of a 'simpler' lifestyle to raise my son.
After extensive internet research, I stumbled onto a few houses that I wanted to view that didn't seem like they would need extensive repairs that were in my price range. I spent last Saturday out viewing homes all over the counties north and west of St. Louis. I looked at properties in Linn county (where Marceline is) as the farthest away. I also looked in Montgomery, Pike, Lincoln, Callaway, Audrain, and parts of Boone. I spoke with several agents in the various areas and set up appts to view the homes that were in my price range. Sadly, most were just a little too much work for me to undertake at this point in my life. But there were some that I would die to own if I could afford to restore them.

Anyway, the 2 nicest houses that I viewed were located in Marceline, and Laddonia. Both are in my price range and virtually completely rehabbed. My parents and younger sister are favoring the Laddonia property since it's bigger but it's also 12,000 more.....I like the Marceline property since I think it's a better buy for the money.....

I also like the idea of a somewhat bigger town. From what I saw of each of the towns, Marceline has a little more to offer in that department. But Laddonia is near Mexico........Marceline has Brookfeild (and Brookfeild has a Walmart) and is close to Macon and Moberly.........Both are almost equal distance from Columbia (about an hour).

As far as what work I can do --- I have no education after highschool. I have done much restaurant work, including managing several dine in pizza places (and a domino's) I have also done my fair share of retail shop work. I am currently (and for the last 2 years) working in home health care. I do a variety of tasks for a ventilator dependant quad. However, all the 'medical' type stuff I do was taught in house (tracheostomy care, urinary procedures like catheters, etc.) I also bathe him, feed him, clean house, dress him, etc. I am pretty much his arms and legs....Right now it is a live in position, and I work around the clock from Sunday at 8pm until Friday at 6pm. I plan on backing this down (possibly in half) and not living in. So at least for temporary purposes I do not NEED immediate employment. But I want to make sure that there are at least some opportunites available since a mortgage is a serious commitment. After my downpayment, my mortgage payments are going to be around $180 to $220 depending on the property. So I don't need to make a TON of money... I was hoping as a minimum $8.00 hourly full time 40hrs weekly. But really I don't mind working hard, and would be willing to do physical labor or factory work provided I was able to get in entrylevel. College has been out of the question for me, since I have been trying to support my young son and keep a roof over our heads. It was just a little too much at the time, but I have considered going back once he starts kindergarten (next year woo hoo!)

I would say that Marceline is the farthest I would go (around 200 miles or so) and that I would definetly prefer closer, but ultimately I will go for the house quality over the distance from my family. I honestly don't care about in town, edge of town, or land. But if I was going to live outside of a town I would like to get a few acres out of the deal as a trade off for the ruralness of it. As far as shopping goes, I am happy with Walmart. I want to have a gasstation, grocery, a bar, hardware, and at least 1 restaurant in the town that I live in, and I hope that the town has a school instead of driving to a neighboring town.

For instance -- I viewed a cute house that needed a little cosmetic updating in a town called Rush Hill. It was automatically ruled out because the town only has 108 people in it, and gravel roads in the town. It was a little TOO small for me. But I live in a subdivision now that has easily 1000 people in the subdivision. So I know I am up for a change. Part of that change I welcome. But I am a little scared also. I figure that if I was able to find full time work (40 hours a week) at minimum wage I could still cover the average utilities, mortgage, and food and gas (provided I wasn't driving more than 30-40 miles one way to work). So I want to be sure that minimum wage jobs are at least reasonably easy to find....Just so I won't get stuck in bills that I cannot afford to pay without a support system (my family) close enough to help out if I get in a pickle.

I hope this helps clarify a little about what I am wanting and needing. And if anyone sees fault in my reasoning........please speak up. You might just stop a gal from making a huge mistake and dragging her son down with her! LOL!

I do realise that drugs aren't limited to STL.. I know that with all the farms and ease of access to anhydrous ammonia (sp?) that the midwest is quickly becoming the meth production capitol of the world. But it is more the general attitude that I am against. I don't want my kid to be cooped up indoors, putting value on material things like shoes and clothes or jewelry and video games. I want him to be able to run around and enjoy nature. Go fishing, find bugs and frogs and stuff like that. To have a place for a tree house and make believe. It's what alot of folks I know refer to as 'old fashioned' but its a quality of life that moves a touch slower, and I know that I can do a great deal to instill morals into my kid, but there will always be peer and neighborhood influences to compete with what I have taught him.....

Last edited by deadliestformula; 06-27-2007 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: added one last little bit to my already long winded post...

Old 06-27-2007, 06:51 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,058,452 times
deadliestformula - wow,,, lol,,, that is very much more clearer... thanks!
Have some stuff to do, but will throw some ideas your way after bit.
BTW, fwiw, I very much highly admire your goals and ambition.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:53 PM

Thank you! It is really good to hear. To tell the truth I am scared out of my mind. I just really want to do whats best for my son and me...And 30 is just over a year away, so I feel like I am needing to make some grown up choices for once....

Old 06-30-2007, 01:39 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,240 times
Well deadliesformula I don't have much info for you. I do have to say I would find a job first before I look for a house because I would hate to put money down on house that you can't make payments on. You are on the right track to see if you can afford housing before you move but you should get a job first before you buy. My husband is currently living in Marceline. He heard from the local that housing market is over speculated. You might be able to make offer on homes that you think you can't afford for the price you want. Since it is the buyers market. How long have you been looking for homes? It sounds like to me that your willing to settle for any home that you can afford.I really think you should do your homework and by doing that; rent in the town you decided to see if your going have trouble finding jobs and to see if this is where you really want to transplant. The other option would be best for you to live close to Columbia because it is a bigger city and I am sure you won't have problems finding a job there. I know rent is high and housing is as well but you can buy home out of the area but you will have a gas bill to pay though. Lots to think about!
Also I would like to mention if you do decide to live in Marceline. I hoping to move in Moberly. Maybe we can meet one day. Well best of luck to you.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:24 PM

791 posts, read 1,819,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
I really think you should do your homework and by doing that; rent in the town you decided to see if your going have trouble finding jobs and to see if this is where you really want to transplant.
Kareybear makes some very good points, and I'd like to add one more thing....Making sure you settle in an area you like is very important when you are considering buying a home. The usual reasons apply: Jobs, Education, Safety, Affordability, etc....but the other 'biggie' is that in order to avoid paying Capital Gains on a home, you MUST live in it as your primary residence for AT LEAST 2 years. If you sell before that 2 year period is up, you are going to pay a very large Capital Gains Tax, if you end up selling the property for more than you paid. You might want to consult with a Tax Professional or Accountant about the laws before you lock yourself into something, especially if you aren't sure about the area and whether it'll be somewhere you'll be able to live with for the next 2 years..at least.

With that said, it just brings back what Kareybear said, in that you really should check out the area before you buy, just to make sure you don't have any surprises or problems.

Owning your own home is a big responsibility, and yes, the prospect of it can be scary. Just make sure you don't buy more than you can comfortably & realistically afford, and compare your projected expenses vs projected income. If the numbers come out in your favor, you should be just fine. If they don't, then you need to stop and re-evaluate your options.

We just bought a home, and in our search, it was VERY EASY to get carried away with these big houses with all the 'Bells & Whistles'. But we knew that we didn't want to be living paycheck to paycheck. We'd rather have a little less house and be able to spluge on a movie, video or dinner once in a while. After all, isn't that why we work so hard??? To be able to enjoy life once in a while? And with you, having a son, you're going to want him to be able to join in on activities like Little League, or Soccer, or whatever else he's interested in.

If you go into this with positive, realistic expectations, homeownership is a very rewarding experience. Good Luck to you deadliestformula, you sound like you are trying to prepare yourself for success. Sorry I can't help you any more about the locations. Since I've just moved to MO, I'm lucky I'm not lost myself. LOL

Take Care & keep us posted.

Regards,
Boof

Old 07-01-2007, 12:37 PM

Well, I have been looking at properties, and researching the area statistics on the web. I did like what I saw of the town of Marceline, more so than I liked Laddonia. I have made sure to check into the towns as much as I can without actually living there. I have been looking at modest homes in the $30,000 range. So my payments should be reasonable.....around $180. I figure it's best to make sure I can afford it no matter what happens....and hey, you can always pay more...but they don't so much like it if you attempt to pay less (or not at all)

BOOF--- Thanks for the info about selling within 2 years. I didn't realise that. There is so much I don't know yet. I understand what you mean about not living paycheck to paycheck and not having money for the extras. THat is why I am wanting to find a cheaper place to live....STL is just too pricey for me and the wage I am able to earn.

Kareybear -- You mentioned that your husband is living in Marceline....How does he like it? Is it a friendly place? The folks I met there were great, (but then again they were all trying to get me to buy in the area!). What is his opinion of the employment situation? Is at least minimum wage employment available?

*****STRANGE FACT ABOUT MARCELINE***** ---- I bought gas at the Casey's across from Sonic at the edge of town....I parked in front of the pump, and went in to prepay...They were confused when I said I wanted $20 on pump 1. The cashier called the manager over and asked how to do it. The manager handed me the money back and said "pump the gas then come in and pay" Here in STL, I haven't been able to do that in 4 years! Everyone wants your cash first, so you don't gas & go. It will take some getting used too!

Old 07-01-2007, 03:36 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadliestformula View Post
Well, I have been looking at properties, and researching the area statistics on the web. I did like what I saw of the town of Marceline, more so than I liked Laddonia. I have made sure to check into the towns as much as I can without actually living there. I have been looking at modest homes in the $30,000 range. So my payments should be reasonable.....around $180. I figure it's best to make sure I can afford it no matter what happens....and hey, you can always pay more...but they don't so much like it if you attempt to pay less (or not at all)

BOOF--- Thanks for the info about selling within 2 years. I didn't realise that. There is so much I don't know yet. I understand what you mean about not living paycheck to paycheck and not having money for the extras. THat is why I am wanting to find a cheaper place to live....STL is just too pricey for me and the wage I am able to earn.

Kareybear -- You mentioned that your husband is living in Marceline....How does he like it? Is it a friendly place? The folks I met there were great, (but then again they were all trying to get me to buy in the area!). What is his opinion of the employment situation? Is at least minimum wage employment available?

*****STRANGE FACT ABOUT MARCELINE***** ---- I bought gas at the Casey's across from Sonic at the edge of town....I parked in front of the pump, and went in to prepay...They were confused when I said I wanted $20 on pump 1. The cashier called the manager over and asked how to do it. The manager handed me the money back and said "pump the gas then come in and pay" Here in STL, I haven't been able to do that in 4 years! Everyone wants your cash first, so you don't gas & go. It will take some getting used too!
My husband said everyone is friendly. Alot of the people that live their are from the Thomas Hill plant and that is where my husband is currently working. There are some rude people too. I don't think you can run away from that. For example my husband was in the bank and he didn't stand in line until he got all the paperwork ready so he doesn't hold up the line. Then my husband gets in line to deposit his check. Sure enough and elderly lady in front of him in the line goes to the teller booth and she had to fill out paper work. My husband had to wait 15 minutes in line until they were finished with her. Me personally I would step out of the way and would have said you can help someone until my paper work is done but no she took up the booth and signed paper work after paper work holding up the line.

My husband does not know much about jobs in the area since he got the job at the plant from the boilermaker union while he was living here in NC. Sorry I can't help you there. My husband is not to impressed by the town of Marceline since it is kinda runned down. Sorry I am not trying to offend anyone that lives there. He likes Salisbury best. He said it looked like to him that everyone take pride in there homes in Salisbury and looked well kept up.I hope that helps.

Here is the Moberly paper that you can check online to see about jobs.Moberly Monitor - Front

You mention that the realtor were very nice. Well I think they all are because they want you to buy a home. Believe me they don't care if you can pay the mortgage payment they just want to get paid. You said you don't have to greatest credit. I would rent for year to get a feeling how you like living in Marceline and build your credit by doing that you get a credit card and pay it off each month. I use my credit card to record my spending for example I use one credit card for my gas and car maintanence and another card for my grocery bill. This is the easiest way for me keep track on how much I spend each month. Remember I always pay the bill in Full each month. If you are having trouble getting credit card you can get a secured credit card were you put a upfront deposit on the card. You will build your credit so much faster by doing this for a year. You would be amazed how much you build your credit that you will get a much lower interest rate and lesser down payment when it come to buying a home. Just food for your thoughts.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:41 AM

791 posts, read 1,819,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadliestformula View Post
Deadliestformula,
You are very welcome. Glad I could help...as least a little bit.

Again, Kareybear brings up some very good points in terms of credit rating & percentage rates on your loan. You may want to inquire with your bank or lending institution as to how your rates might change when compared to your having a better credit rating. Maybe if there are any lending professionals here, they may be able to help you with the right questions to ask or at least guide you in the right direction.

Overall, keep doing what you're doing...ask questions and do your homework. It may be a pain right now, but it'll be well worth it when all is said & done.

One last thing...as kareybear stated, her husband isn't too impressed with the town of Marceline compared to Salisbury...says it looks more rundown. That is something to consider when buying a home too. You want to invest in an area that is economically healthy..at least to some degree. So consider that before you buy as well. Sure the price may be cheaper, but it may be because the town is declining. For example: We went to a town to look at a home. When we got there, we drove through town....the buildings were dirty & in need of repair. A high percentage of the storefronts were empty & neglected, and the roads were unkempt. Plus, there wasn't much activity in the town either. All of these things put together, in our minds, told us that the town wasn't healthy, and investing in a home there would be a mistake. If we ever wanted to sell, we'd probably lose money on the deal, and that just isn't smart. Apparently, that's why the price of the home was so low. Bottom line...it's your money, and you've worked hard for it....you deserve the best you can afford!!! You're worth it!!!!

So, with that said, have your realtor keep looking for you, and continue your search. The right house is out there for you, and you'll know it when you see it. God will lead you....just listen to him. When we were looking in the wrong places, things didn't go right for us. When we went in God's direction, things started falling into place, and we knew we were home.

Don't lose hope, deadliestformula, and don't sell yourself short....

Hope this helped,
Boof
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri