Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 03:20 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,652,830 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what those folks from Cali were thinking, about those tornado's in your area yesterday. With earthquakes you get no warning and mostly they are kinda overrated anyway. We are planning to retire to either SW Mo, NW ARK, or NE Ok. when I retire, ( 8 years from now) By next year we should be in position to be able to buy some property. Wifey worries about tornado's, My dad is from Mo and he said he never even seen one....
I'm more afraid we won't handle the humidity... You know what they say " It's not the heat it's the humidity"...... How does that compare to Hawaii?? coming in August to visit some friends over in OK and might make a trip to Bass Pro Shops heaven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 03:50 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,680 times
Most people do not see the tornadoes..us smart folk hear the warnings see the warning signs and dont stick around we head for the low land! I have lived in Illinois all my life except 1 year in Oklahoma ... and honest I have seen the warning signs ..seen the funnels building up but never stuck around to see it come flying at me!

Old 07-01-2007, 03:57 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,212 times
My gals are wigged out about the possibility of tornadoes too The retired Dr. that owns the development we bought in (some 100 acres) said the worst thing he has seen in the 50 years he has been here was a wall of his old barn take a ride across "the island" on a real windy day years ago. We got a couple of inches of rain yesterday but hardly any wind. I floor surfed plenty of shakers over the years in so CA and like you said there is NO warning! My doggone weather radio goes off at the slightest hint of squirrelly weather in the area but we seem to be fortunate that it usually skips to the north or south of us. The bottom line is you gotta be prepared and have your emergency plans in place no matter where ya hang your hat!

Old 07-01-2007, 04:17 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,652,830 times
Yeah Jammer your right about having to be prepaired, we always have plenty of food on hand. We camp and fish alot so I have all the propane powered stuff.. Oh and I have plenty of Ammo, cause here in an emergency you can expect looting Remember that song " I gotta get out a this place"

Old 07-01-2007, 04:20 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,933 times
Default Tornados...

You said those nasty ol earthquakes are "kinda overrated"...so are tornadoes. Now you don't want to be stupid, because even less than a bonafide tornado can ruin your boating experience...but do YOU know that people here wouldn't even visit California because they don't want to get caught in an earthquake???
So. There's more important things to consider about moving to Missouri from California...(been there done that) like whether you're going to be able to find really good salsa at your local Mexican eatery.

I moved here 13+ years ago. The humidity is good for your skin, you won't look old so fast.
I love it here!
Anytime, any question.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:24 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,811 times
Amen to that! It seems like no matter where you are, you've got to be careful about a variety of weather phenomena. Here in Santa Rosa (north of San Francisco) and other places in California, it's the frightening specter of wildfires. We normally go 4 to 5 months from late spring to early fall with no rain whatsoever; and this year dating back to 7/1/06 is one of the driest on record. We will probably receive no rain until late September. Los Angeles finished this past year with all of 3.2 inches of rain--a record--drier than Las Vegas in a normal season and close to what Death Valley typically receives. Because of this, many July 4 fireworks displays are being cancelled. It is that dry here in most of the state. A dry lightning storm and we could have a whole bunch of Lake Tahoe area-type fires this summer.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:31 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,933 times
I'm from Santa Rosa...moved here in '93...can't imagine living anywhere else. Even tho I've learned to make my own salsa!!

Old 07-01-2007, 05:10 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,662 times
Thumbs up Did someone mention homemade SALSA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Bezz View Post
I'm from Santa Rosa...moved here in '93...can't imagine living anywhere else. Even tho I've learned to make my own salsa!!
You are sooo right, Janet! I know there are a lot of different salsas and fans of each kind but there's really nothing like your own! My husband roasts the peppers which gives it such a unique flavor. We don't like it too spicy and we know that there are a whole lot of people who say "the hotter it is, the better!". They probably wouldn't be satisfied with ours.

We are just about to start getting tomatoes from our vines so he'll be making salsa before you know it! We have a great deal going...he makes the salsa and even cans it. Then, I create labels and print them and stick em! Oh...then we both get to eat it!

Old 07-01-2007, 07:53 PM

791 posts, read 1,819,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I was just wondering what those folks from Cali were thinking, about those tornado's in your area yesterday. With earthquakes you get no warning and mostly they are kinda overrated anyway. We are planning to retire to either SW Mo, NW ARK, or NE Ok. when I retire, ( 8 years from now) By next year we should be in position to be able to buy some property. Wifey worries about tornado's, My dad is from Mo and he said he never even seen one....
I'm more afraid we won't handle the humidity... You know what they say " It's not the heat it's the humidity"...... How does that compare to Hawaii?? coming in August to visit some friends over in OK and might make a trip to Bass Pro Shops heaven
Well, we just moved here from Modesto, CA 3 weeks ago. Yesterday was our first introduction to the Tornado/Flash Flood alerts. The skies got real dark, and the wind did pick up a bit, but nothing worse that what I've seen in CA.

The news on TV gave up to the minute reports and had a map in the corner of the screen to show where the critical areas were. Since we weren't right in the middle of it, it really wasn't too bad. The natives around here didn't seem concerned at all, and went about their day as if nothing was happening.

Now, had we been in the thick of it, we would have gathered our emergency kit, and went to our local shelter. It really wasn't much different than how you'd be when a small earthquake hits....ya feel the rumble, and if the walls are still up, then you go on with your day.

Now the Humidity is a different story. We got here right at the beginning of summer, so we didn't have time to get used to it...not too much anyway. It really is different from CA, that's for sure. The worse thing for me is my skin feeling 'sticky'. Oh, and the 'hot rain'. Man, it's like a sauna. However, the wind usually blows, so that helps alot. 90 degrees in CA is, for me, easier to tolerate...but like I say....I've only been here 3 weeks. I forsee myself getting used to it very quickly, and not having a problem with it at all.

But like the others said...natives here just stay prepared. They have Weather Radios, food & water supplies, disaster preparedness kits, and they're ready to go. Now, ask me again when it's MY turn for the big scare, and my tune will be quite different. LOL

Now I guess my next biggest problem is learning how to make my own Salsa.

And as for Bass Pro Shop....YOU'VE GOT TO GO!!! It is absolutely MASSIVE!!! I don't hunt, fish or boat, but I love that place. It's got everything you could imagine! I had to drag my DH there, but he's glad I did.

All in all, Missouri is exactly how others describe it...it's green, lush, beautiful, clean, and full of friendly, well mannered people. We just love it here!!!!!

Sorry for the rambling,
Boof

Old 07-01-2007, 09:22 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,662 times
Red face No apologies necessary, Boof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boof View Post
Sorry for the rambling,
Boof
HA! You call that RAMBLING? I happen to think your post was well-organized and covered several great points. In fact, I'd love to comment on what you said further but I've got to get off this computer and start getting ready for bed. It was a great post, though, so don't you EVEN feel like you've got to apologize for RAMBLING!

Ya see...if YOU do that, then there's no hope for someone like ME!!! Hahahahaha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri