Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:06 PM

879 posts, read 2,867,365 times

Advertisements

We moved here from Pleasanton CA (via Las Vegas for 4 years first) about two months ago. We lived in St. Louis in the early 80's for three years and we've been visiting the Branson-Kimberling City areas for about 25 years. Haven't yet seen a tornado, but we saw the damage one did back in So. Springfield & Nixa several years back. I think they are something to be respected (like fire, hurricanes, etc.) and be prepared just in case although the chances of damage are fairly small in the overall scheme of things.

I agree with some of the others. No matter where you live natural disasters occur from time to time. Earthquakes hit with no warning (I was raised near Hollister CA not too far from the fault-line) and can do extensive damage. Tornadoes, on the other hand, hit a fairly defined area when they come down around here. The weather folks do a good job of predicting where you need to take caution. However, for the most part, we sort of keep our eye on things and go about our business.

Humidity..having lived in MO twice, and Las Vegas once (no humidity to speak of), I'll take the humidity any day. It's not as bad as Florida, So. Texas, etc. and it's not every day. You do get used to it. And you find yourself owning lots of cotton, rayon, and silk. Ditch the poly and acrylics during the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 09:02 PM

791 posts, read 1,813,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
We moved here from Pleasanton CA (via Las Vegas for 4 years first) about two months ago.
I used to cruise P-Town when I was in highschool. Worked & played there for years. Welcome back to MO

Quote:
I agree with some of the others. No matter where you live natural disasters occur from time to time. Earthquakes hit with no warning (I was raised near Hollister CA not too far from the fault-line) and can do extensive damage. Tornadoes, on the other hand, hit a fairly defined area when they come down around here. The weather folks do a good job of predicting where you need to take caution. However, for the most part, we sort of keep our eye on things and go about our business.

Humidity..having lived in MO twice, and Las Vegas once (no humidity to speak of), I'll take the humidity any day. It's not as bad as Florida, So. Texas, etc. and it's not every day. You do get used to it. And you find yourself owning lots of cotton, rayon, and silk. Ditch the poly and acrylics during the summer.
Hubby & I just moved here, and that's good info to know. It's also nice to know you'd rather be here than the other places. Thankfully I don't have too much Poly or Acrylics, but now I'll know what to stock up on.

It's also nice to hear so many people saying the same things...makes me feel better. Hopefully with the summers not as long as they are in CA, we'll adjust to the humidity just fine. For now...it's taking some getting used to. LOL

Boof

Old 07-07-2007, 10:21 PM

1,635 posts, read 3,638,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
We moved here from Pleasanton CA (via Las Vegas for 4 years first) about two months ago. We lived in St. Louis in the early 80's for three years and we've been visiting the Branson-Kimberling City areas for about 25 years. Haven't yet seen a tornado, but we saw the damage one did back in So. Springfield & Nixa several years back. I think they are something to be respected (like fire, hurricanes, etc.) and be prepared just in case although the chances of damage are fairly small in the overall scheme of things.

Wow! Takin' the humidity over the non-humidity any day! I'm guessing you don't miss Las Vegas a bit! Hahaha! I lived there in the mid 70's for awhile and it gets HOT! Then, I got snowed in there in the late 70's and couldn't get home through the Cajon Pass! My sister and I were dressed in sandals and had no idea it was going to snow!

Anyway, you have given great information and advice! Thanks for posting!

MrsG

Old 07-09-2007, 04:39 PM

879 posts, read 2,867,365 times
Glad to be here. Thanks for the thoughts.
Cruisin' Ptown in high school huh? If you haven't been there in the past
several years you wouldn't recognize it. It's become a VERY upscale dining/shopping area. Cost of housing is outrageous.

As far as Las Vegas..I loved it, but my skin loves the humidity more. My husband hated Las Vegas and we both like to garden so MO fits us much better.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:41 AM

871 posts, read 1,975,849 times
Default What about farmington?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
You said those nasty ol earthquakes are "kinda overrated"...so are tornadoes. Now you don't want to be stupid, because even less than a bonafide tornado can ruin your boating experience...but do YOU know that people here wouldn't even visit California because they don't want to get caught in an earthquake???
So. There's more important things to consider about moving to Missouri from California...(been there done that) like whether you're going to be able to find really good salsa at your local Mexican eatery.

I moved here 13+ years ago. The humidity is good for your skin, you won't look old so fast.
I love it here!
Anytime, any question.
Hows the weather in Farmington? Im from Cali and would like to move there. Does it ever flood there? Are the people kind to outsiders. I want to raise my kids in a safe place. Also my husband is a mechanic and wonders about jobs. Im a muralist and can work anywhere, that is if im welcomed.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:02 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,358,963 times
Question Farmington?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaxlecrew View Post
Hows the weather in Farmington? Im from Cali and would like to move there. Does it ever flood there? Are the people kind to outsiders. I want to raise my kids in a safe place. Also my husband is a mechanic and wonders about jobs. Im a muralist and can work anywhere, that is if im welcomed.
I haven't a clue about Farmington, have not been there. Have YOU been there? I would suggest a visit, look at population stats. Is this area growing? Do the teenagers all leave because there's no opportunity?
You'll find kind people and unkind people everywhere...of course you know that.
We just "picked" an area based on first impressions and wearing our rose colored glasses...and dove in! It wasn't all bad, as learning experiences go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri