Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 06:44 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,761 times

Advertisements

I spend a lot of time in the woods south of Frede*ricktown MO and
use Avon's Skin so Soft as a repellent. Try it...it smells good, makes your skin soft and repels chiggers, ticks and seed ticks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 09:23 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,550,697 times
QUOTE=firebll31;1019359]Chiggers, Red Bugs, Chigger Elimination, Biology, Myths

Guinea Fowl, Ticks and Lyme Disease
I think these links will answer both your questions![/quote]

firebll31 Thank You so much for the info. Here I am thinking I am moving away from HUGE bugs. I am going have more problems in Missouri. Drats

I am gonna have to buy myself a guinea fowls when I get a home of my own. But right now I need to find some kind of buy spray for my kids. I don't even know how to pick out ticks. I and my family never gotten them yet.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:45 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,628 times
We've been visiting the area for about 25 years. Our dog picked up a tick about two years ago playing in a wilderness area. We removed it and there was no problem. We've been living here for about 3 months and have been in the weeds, the blackberries, and the garden without picking one up. However, they are here and we know it so we usually check for them. We use Avon Skin-so-soft on our legs & arms. Sometimes we use "Off" with Deet if we think of it. Chiggers are in grasses and they itch like the devil. Chiggers, along with ticks, are in most areas of the country. I grew up in No. Cal. and we ocassionally had a tick and often got chiggers playing in the grass as kids. "No See-Ums"....haven't seen them (no pun intended) around here. But they are devilish in Texas! If your prone to rolling around in the grass or wandering in the deep woods you'll pick up either a chigger or a tick. Deet helps. The dog drops (Advantix, Frontline Plus) definitely work...but you also need to just be aware and look at the dog/cat once in a while.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:48 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,654,038 times
Talking From one mrs to another...welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
If your prone to rolling around in the grass or wandering in the deep woods you'll pick up either a chigger or a tick.
Hahaha! I must add that if you ARE "prone to rolling around in the grass", PLEASE spare us the details!!! Hahaha! And if you're prone to "wandering in the deep woods", for heaven's sake, don't get lost!

Funny stuff, mrschili! I'm sorry...I should welcome you to our little chats! With this post, you have been properly initiated!

Welcome!

MrsG

Old 07-09-2007, 08:42 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I keep reading threads that talk about how bad the Chiggers and ticks are, Seeing as how I like outdoors alot, I was wondering what you do to protect yourself from them... and what about your dogs and stuff? For dogs does the advantage stuff work? what about livestock??
lol, yea,,,, tiggers and chicks... I tell ya, they are something else to have to fight off of a guy.

Oh wait,,, nevermind...

Ok, seriously, yea, these little varmints are nasty - esp. the seed ticks; go through a mess of them, and you will be not a happy camper. Best defense is Off; some swear that garlic helps keep these nasties at bay - however, some then also swear that such a defense also keeps other people away... With all the not good side effects and potential diseases that these blood suckers can carry, it is very good to be preventive in keeping them away, but don't panic and just use common sense in removing them. Tools, such as tape, hairspray, and flamethrowers have been known to be used...

For hounds and felines, Frontline is one item that we have found to work very well - no, its not 100%, but does help quite a bit. Keeping them brushed also helps too.

Sorry, but do NOT suggest to keep the likes of me from picking blackberries - good gosh, be like telling a bird not to flap its wings... Love these tasty morsels of juicy sweetness - esp. when make a jam from them; of course, leaving the seeds in there for texture. Also makes your teeth more attractive too. Hmmmm,,, garlic breath and blackberry seeds between your teeth... and who says that usin hillbillies don't know how to fancy up for a date?!?!?

Old 07-09-2007, 03:31 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,628 times
Default Thanks for the welcome Mr. G.

Thanks for the warm welcome Mrs.G.
And just for the record I don't roll around in the grass...now the deep woods may be a different story.

Last edited by mrschilicook; 07-09-2007 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-09-2007, 03:41 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,572,536 times
Tiggers and Chicks...as a real estate agent and mostly showing farm ground and other acreage, I do come into contact with these creatures way too often. Remember one time crawling, if ya can call it that, across a barb wire fence and landing very ungracefully on the other side. Ripped slacks and some skin in the process. Totally embarrassed. Got back to van and yuk, seed ticks all over slacks. Had sprayed with Off but evidently not enough nor in the right places. Another time showed a home to potential buyer within city limits of my fair town. Went into the basement and afterwards went to my vehicle. Wife suddenly screams and yells 'what in the world is crawling on me'? Husband responds with basically same question. So happens, all of us were wearing white slacks (me) or white shorts (them). Now let me tell you, those lil' black things were jumping all over the place. Yikes. Fleas!!! Dropped potential buyers off at the office (never did see them again) . Drove home about 15 mins. away, parked vehicle and began stripping before I hit the door. Don't worry, I do live in that very rural area, no neighbor within shouting distance. Threw clothes in washer, jumped into the shower and stayed there for what seemd like hours. No more fleas. So, I'll take a tick anyday now,over a flea. But I still do not like them at all. I do use OFF tho' and plenty of it.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:37 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,742 times
chiggers and ticks...?? heck with them it's the skeeters that are tearing me a new one. I have no idea why these lil buggers luv me so much but egads I have done the deet thing up the yo and BAM they got me in the cheek (da face kids ) and my forehead of all places while I was mowing the grass yesterday!! Grrrr...this is war baby!!

Old 07-10-2007, 07:48 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,761 times
Jammer be careful, some of those skeeters are big enough to carry you off.

Go to Wally World or Bass Pro and get a bug zapper...it's a hoot to watch them get crispy. And they make a great source of protein!

Old 01-20-2008, 05:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,937 times
Default protecting yourself from chiggers

use a deet based repel (heavy on socks and lower legs. just socks wont protect you as they are so tiny they can get right thru most socks. I have scars where I got bit 3 years ago. Their bites strongly remind me of the biting midge bites (AKA no see ums)

baby chiggers are so tiny the naked eye can not see them. You can see them however when they are grown, but you have to look close. They are the size of a pin head and are very red orange in color. They only feast on you one time in their life (when they are juvinille, and you can not see them at that stage) after they gather that protien, They become vegitarians. They mostly do not feast on your skin as soon as they get on you, They travel to other parts of your body. If you have been outside in a susect area, it is very very wise to take a hot as you can possibly stand it shower as soon as you get home. DO NOT DROP YOUR CLOTHES ON THE FLOOR, instead put them into a plastic sack, tying the top closed while you are showering. I use a good scrub brush with lots of soap. If you are using a washcloth or just your hands, start with your head and work downward. lots of water force and wiping downwards. Wash all clothing in hot water.

I sprayed my acre of land with an expensive product last year. I am going to spray again before sprigtime. I do not know if this will work or not. I guess I will find out come late springtime. Say a rayer for me and I Hoe this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri