Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 12:40 PM

45 posts, read 128,920 times

Advertisements

We were impressed by the city when we were driving in on I-229, it was a neat view. But you're right, there sure aren't any traffic jams! As you can see from the pictures, there really weren't any cars at all. You could stand in the street and take pictures.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
The pictures are really good! Such nice white puffy clouds on the day you were there, and I really like how you can see Twin Spires Church in the distance. The upper deck of Interstate 229 is cool too in how you can see the Missouri River off to the left. Maybe I'd better correct something I wrote previously about its downtown parking regulations. I meant to write that it shouldn't have any parking meters, charge money to park in any downtown garages, or otherwise make it a nuisance to go downtown versus driving over to places like the Shoppes at North Village or other Belt Highway businesses. But I didn't mean to say that it should do away with any "No Parking" signs where they really are needed. Anyway, you've gotten me even more obsessed with visiting the place! The lack of traffic is going to be a little jarring for me though, after getting used to the long lines of cars sitting at red lights in downtown Santa Rosa.

All the best to you and your husband, and safe travel to him here and on the way back to Denver!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 12:44 PM

We looked at a bunch of homes on the east side of town, and like the area.
Maybe we will be neighbors. Gotta love the internet!!

It makes me feel good to know that they are working on the downtown and want it to be improved. I keep saying it, but it does have potential...so much. It really reminds me of a young Denver (what I imagine it was like long time ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StJoeFanatic View Post
I was completly swamped today, so sorry I am just now getting around to replying to everyone!
alexisnicolem-I wish you had read your e-mail prior to coming! We definately would have let you come through the house Saturday! I'm glad you had an easy time getting around (it is not that hard, even without GPS )

An update as of a few hours ago at tonight's City Council Meeting...they approved the downtown streetscape project, and hope to start work within 60 days! A lot of the sidewalks downtown are built on top of old steam vaults from the early 1900's that were originally used to heat the buildings downtown. Those vaults will have to be removed and filled in, prior to begining the improvements. However, with this evenings approval, it is full steam ahead. The plan is to get all of downtown a bit like Foster's...outdoor patio seating, unique lighting and stores...lots of stores. When I first moved to St. Joseph (15 years ago) there were lots of stores downtown...not many empties. But, over the years, the trend has been to get on the belt. But, there is a crop of folks who are transplants to St. Joe who are all in the same boat, which is that we "Want" downtown to be better... I truly think it will happen. We just need to be sure that those that "can" "will make it happen".

Eric-they are working on the "parking natzi's". They have just created the model block to see how it works. Once the new streetscape is finished, I am sure there will be more talk of parking restriction elimination!

And yes, we are moving to a smaller, new home on the east side of town (past I-29)

Wouldn't it just be the neatest if you both ended up in town and we all got together! What a funny, funny world we live in!

Old 08-01-2007, 12:45 PM

I've started a database on homes and areas that we are interested in. I will add Mark Gulch Homes to the list. What makes them stand out from the rest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb62676 View Post
I truly hope that those of you moving to the area can facilitate change. The place has a TON of potential, but the permeating attitude there has kept the potential from being realized. Maybe in 20-30 years, St. Joe can be a completely different place. I hope so.

If anyone is into newer homes, I would definitely give Mark Gach built homes a look.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:47 PM

We went by this place when we were there. It's right on Frederick in a not so hot area. But the building is SO unique!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy View Post
A rare row house in St Joe for just under 200k.

Homes For Sale -- AOKhometours.com -- 076698

No, I am not a realtor nor do I live in St Joe, but I was checking out the housing prices from a link that someone had above. Amazing. I think St Joe will become more desireable in the future as KC moves closer to it and people who tire of the new suburban sprawl will find a renewed appreciation of older areas and begin to gentrify the more run-down parts of St Joe.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:28 AM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,396 times
On the whole, Sonoma County, especially going north from Santa Rosa, isn't bad. The months of March and April are I think the best time to visit when the surrounding hills and mountains are still green. Near Guerneville in the western part of the county, Armstrong Woods has two redwood trees that are an estimated 1,400 and 1,300 years old respectively; and it doesn't cost anything to walk into the redwood forest, just if you drive your car in. The wineries in Sonoma County also don't have the same kind of "tourist trap" feel as their counterparts in the Napa Valley.

But for those of us who live here, it's just getting too expensive and too congested; and there is growing gang activity in Petaluma. Both my wife and I aren't crazy about the culture around here, and each time I've taken her back to Missouri on vacation, she feels so much more at home in Middle America. Slower pace, more old-fashioned and down-to-earth. The Gold Country along California Highway 49 in the Sierra foothills comes closer to resembling rural Missouri, especially Sutter Creek, Amador City and Angels Camp. Hopefully you and your husband can someday visit northern California that's outside of the Bay Area!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisnicolem View Post
He mentioned that when he arrived, he had to call the second of the two cabs in town to be picked up (so I guess it's a little on the small side)! And he said it was similar to Napa (where we had just been on a wine tour)...

He is driving around with someone who lives there, so he won't have to worry about the gas or anything. But thanks for the pointers! He is leaving town tonight late and going San Jose (i think), but I will see if I can get any other impressions from him about the area. From what he's said already it sounds lovely!

Thank you!

Old 08-02-2007, 01:32 AM

Default StJoeFanatic the Punster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StJoeFanatic View Post
A lot of the sidewalks downtown are built on top of old steam vaults from the early 1900's that were originally used to heat the buildings downtown. Those vaults will have to be removed and filled in, prior to begining the improvements. However, with this evenings approval, it is full steam ahead. !
Full steam ahead on removing the old steam vaults....I LOVE it! And I just hope you aren't too steamed at me for saying this, lol!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:33 AM

97 posts, read 347,252 times
Just an update on our house... (8/7/07)
We have just lowered the price ANOTHER $10,000 to $179,900.
We cannot lower it anymore, as we are now going to be losing a significant amount of money, but we are willing to drop it to get out and into the new home.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:57 PM

It is a terrific, exquisitely-maintained Craftsman-style home in a very desirable area of town. If any of you reading this forum thread are interested in it, be sure to send StJoeFanatic a private message and she'll give you all the particulars on it, as well as the website address where you can see what it looks like from both the outside and inside. Actually, I think you can find it if you go a number of pages back in this same forum thread. Trust me, you're not going to go wrong with it. I think it has so much more character than all the new cookie-cutter developments you see in so many places such as in the Kansas side of the KC metro area.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:51 PM

Any additional word on how the steam vault project is coming along? It's probably going to take a fair amount of time to completely finish it, I'm guessing.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:28 PM

97 posts, read 347,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Any additional word on how the steam vault project is coming along? It's probably going to take a fair amount of time to completely finish it, I'm guessing.
No word yet...you know those government wheels...they turn ever so slow!
However, here is an article that will be published later on today in the City's EDO (Economic Development Outlook) that I will get out later this afternoon.
(You can check out all kinds of progress on this website by reading the newsletters: Economic Development

Like I said, the new version will come out this afternoon...once everyone finally gets their stuff to me to I can finish up the layout and get it out there!

Streetscape Design to be
Implemented Throughout Downtown

With the recent approval by City Council to begin construction of the Felix Streetscape improvements, staff is now working to ensure this streetscape design is carried out on all future projects to occur in downtown. One such project that is currently under redevelopment is the San Regis Building. Currently, the city has no mechanism to require improvements made to property undergoing renovation to conform to the same streetscape standards illustrated in the Downtown Master Plan that has been approved for Felix Street. The Downtown Master Plan outlined a design for streetscape to ensure uniformity throughout downtown. With the renovation of the San Regis property, staff has approached the developer requesting they consider modifying their streetscape for this project to match what will be constructed on Felix Street. The next large project to occur downtown is the redevelopment of the Uptown project. Staff will work with the developer of this project to ensure the same streetscape design is outlined on this project. The intent of having similar streetscape throughout downtown is to create a more pedestrian friendly environment and to create a sense of place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri