Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:16 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The KC star has been a liberal rag for well over the past 60 years. It isn't a paper fit with which to wrap fish. They used to post their mission statement on the website but I took them to task one year and pointed out the descrepancy between the mission statement and the slanted view in their reporting. Since that time they appear to have removed their mission statement from their website and instead replaced it with an "ethics statement" of which clearly allows bias.
100% agree that it is a rag.

When they were looking at medical malpractice tort reform a while back in MO. (Like they have in CA) They printed an "article\report" about how insurance companies were ripping off doctors and the rates were inflated.

Turns out the "report" was written by a guy paid by the trial lawyers associated and then reguritated by the star verbatim. Free paid advertisement....nice. Bunch of angry anti-insurance letters were then printed.

Meanwhile the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and actuarial groups all panned the report for using at best "misleading" calculations.

Star never corrected, retracted etc. It's such a POS rag of a paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 08:39 AM

822 posts, read 2,046,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
and i would bet that those highly educated folks are in the vast minority.....
No one would take that bet because it's true of almost any place in the country with the exception of Los Alamos NM and places like that. I never said they were in the majority.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:00 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Your words:

Hey, I see you went back and fixed that incorrect 'to.' Nice.

Now...just what do your words mean? Where did you get the "fact" that "people don't like to debate actual facts too often" and then imply that that information (if true and not just a figment of your imagination) was available somewhere for the OP to have researched? The clear implication was that these folks would have a differing political view because they're undereducated or uneducated and, therefore, conservative.

The arrogance of your posts is sometimes astounding. FWIW, I'll bet you anything you wish to lose that there are people in that area with every bit as much education as you and some with a whole lot more.
Hmm, well I often have at least four windows on my computer open at the same time, so proofreading my posts is not at the top of my priority list on city-data. How about focusing on the actual systemic problems in southern Missouri, and the SOLUTIONS to those problems.
I worked VERY HARD to achieve success at higher education, considering I am on the autism spectrum.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
and i would bet that those highly educated folks are in the vast minority.....
That is absolutely correct. The area I am living in currently has 15-25% of all residents (in a several county) radius with a four year degree of any type. It is no wonder why we have problems in this country attracting 21st century types of jobs, higher levels of entreprenurship, reducing income stagnation, and bringing down unemployment.
Quite often, I really don't think many people who live in JOCO have any idea what a mess the economy is in many parts of the country as they often do live in a bubble.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:32 PM

What exactly is a 21st century type of job?

I'm going to suggest that we have MORE than enough college grads to go around now. What this country needs is to start producing something. Anything at all but it has to be real. Not information and not slinging hash.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:31 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:

I'm going to suggest that we have MORE than enough college grads to go around now. What this country needs is to start producing something. Anything at all but it has to be real. Not information and not slinging hash.
The issue is that we could bring back to this country every manufacturing plant we've ever lost, but they would employ a fraction of the people they used to. Robotics and other technology have cut down on the need for unskilled laborers.

The jobs that are available in factories now require a higher skill level and the ability to work with computers.

From the New York Times:

Quote:
During the recession, domestic manufacturers appear to have accelerated the long-term move toward greater automation, laying off more of their lowest-skilled workers and replacing them with cheaper labor abroad.

Now they are looking to hire people who can operate sophisticated computerized machinery, follow complex blueprints and demonstrate higher math proficiency than was previously required of the typical assembly line worker.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/02/bu...ring.html?_r=1

Old 11-11-2010, 05:54 PM

I agree that today's workers need more skill than in the past. But needing college to work in a factory that has robots? No.

All more college-educated people will get us is more of those ghastly cube farms where nothing whatsoever is produced.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:38 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
All more college-educated people will get us is more of those ghastly cube farms where nothing whatsoever is produced.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:

I disagree. Of course we still need good blue collar jobs- could transition to green collar, or a hybrid of both as time advances. However, we always need more people with college degrees. They are termed "the creative class," and are more likely to obtain good paying jobs as well as becoming entreprenuers. This anti-education mentality that I often see in the South is not getting people very far AT ALL.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I agree that today's workers need more skill than in the past. But needing college to work in a factory that has robots? No.

We need more high tech and green manufacturing in the US that produces innovative products for use at home as well as for export. Once again, the JOCO economy is an extreme outlier in this country where the extreme majority of employment is white collar. I take it you don't have a college degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri