Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:56 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
To shut down the festival would be one thing and a pretty reasonable one, at that.

Confiscating the farm is a whole different animal.
I would agree with this sentiment. Clearly they've been doing this for a long time, but I don't feel comfortable with the idea that I could throw a big old party on my property, not be charged with any crime whatsoever, and have my property taken away from me. That hardly makes me some sort of hard-core libertarian, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 06:43 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MabelMeister View Post
Don't the Feds also seize properties that have meth labs on them? I recognize it's a bit different, in fairness.
I'm sure they do. What happens if the meth cooker is a renter? As I understand it, the law, as it is written, allows seizure of the real estate upon which the offense is committed.

Hopefully I am wrong on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I would agree with this sentiment. Clearly they've been doing this for a long time, but I don't feel comfortable with the idea that I could throw a big old party on my property, not be charged with any crime whatsoever, and have my property taken away from me. That hardly makes me some sort of hard-core libertarian, right?
I don't think so, but then again, every political test I've ever taken shows me to be pretty hard-core libertarian.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 11-16-2010 at 07:54 PM..

Old 11-16-2010, 06:57 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
We actually agree on something!

I was unaware this was going on and would have remained so but for this forum. This "forfeiture" concept is very dangerous and very troubling.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:54 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
As a fan of the Dead's music (and many other styles, bluegrass to rock, etc.), I'd looked at going to the festivals there, but never took / had the time. Beautiful area, wonderful setting to just chill and relax... w/o the extra 'help' though, thanks. As to the Feds seizing the property PLUS seizing all of the owner's bank funds,,, while I understand that such actions on one hand can prevent a "bad person" from doing further damage to society, I have an extremely hard time sanctioning such actions due to my strong desire to have the concept of "innocent until proven guilty" via a court of law, by one's peers, hold true.

Kinda similar to aragx6's post above, and maybe the following is a poor analogy, but what if a bunch of people went into, for example Busch Stadium [or Fox or Kiel or...], brought drugs of same types that are being discussed @ this farm,,, would the Feds seize that property and the owner's funds?

Old 11-20-2010, 09:09 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Kinda similar to aragx6's post above, and maybe the following is a poor analogy, but what if a bunch of people went into, for example Busch Stadium [or Fox or Kiel or...], brought drugs of same types that are being discussed @ this farm,,, would the Feds seize that property and the owner's funds?
Kinda like at most rock concerts...

Old 11-20-2010, 10:38 AM

26 posts, read 82,719 times
Sounds like the laws are written by self righteous , cat owning, banjo playing hicks from the ozarks. Open your mind people, it's not the 1800's anymore.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:51 PM

694 posts, read 1,356,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin' View Post
Sounds like the laws are written by self righteous , cat owning, banjo playing hicks from the ozarks. Open your mind people, it's not the 1800's anymore.
Back on July 4th on this forum you replied with the following when ozarksboy questioned your thought of moving from California to Missouri

"1st my family came from WV and IA so picking on hicks, hillbillies, and banjo players is just silly." These were your words, no one else's.

Secondly, we banjo picking 'hicks' didn't write this law. If you had taken the time to read the article, you would see that it is a Federal law that the lead Federal authorities are using to try to take this man's property.

Thirdly - "Cat owning?" There are an estimated 81,721,000 cats in 37,460,000 households in the US and there are less than 11-1/2 million truck drivers holding CDL licenses in the US. Guess cat owners won't be worrying about their reputation anytime in the near future.

And finally, speaking of pets, one thing we have many of here in Missouri are jack asses. We try really hard to keep the ratio of the four legged kind well ahead of the two legged kind, so please ..... well, enough's been said already. California isn't that bad now is it?

Old 11-20-2010, 04:53 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
. California isn't that bad now is it?
Ummm YES....But really Cat owning? Thought you all just had barn cats....Does anyone really own a cat???
Hey I'll trade you 2.2 Million Illegal Aliens for all the Jackasses in Missouri....
No, wait, That would be ****ting the nest I want to move to.....Looking forward to living with Jackasses the 4 legged kind, all the 2 legged variety can stay here and feed the Mexicans

Old 11-20-2010, 07:46 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin' View Post
So to be modern, up-to-date and trendy like you, we are supposed to open our minds, hearts, lives and countryside to dopers and the dregs of society? You sound like the Califoreigner that we don't want.

We have drug programs to help them get off dope, social service programs to get them into jobs and make them productive and lots of churches to straighten them out spiritually. But we're not going to open our minds to the joy of LSD or the mushroom.

I guess that makes us what you call self-righteous. Now I'm going to sit on the couch and pick my banjo a while. The cat likes to curl up next to me while I do.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:16 AM

694 posts, read 1,356,236 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw5mPEG2Izs

A few banjo pickin' hicks down at Eureka Springs - the guy in the white pants is from Kansas City. Apparently they left their cats at home, I guess??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri