Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 11,741 times

Advertisements

Never been to Missouri before and my husband just took a job there -we are moving in January- need help- my kids are grown up- I am a Canadian citizen and cannot work in the US right now -
quick questions;
1)where is the best area to live- do not want to be out in the country- living 5min from san jose right now 900,000 people- ? Love to have privacy but love to be close to amenities- thinking apartment- can amyone make any recommendations?
2)with no little kids and not working what is the best way to meet new girlfriends? are there meetup groups there? www.meetup.com

I know nothing about your state and moving in January- can anyone give me some insight?
thank you sooo much
Dargirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 07:02 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
Lucky You....
OK close your eyes and imagine all those people you see in the bay area are trees and those cars are cows, Oh and the polluted Shark filled bay is fresh water..Welcome to Missouri....

Old 11-17-2010, 07:47 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Leonard Wood is out in the country and the only populated areas are small towns. I'm sure you could find an apartment in one of the towns.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:11 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,331 times
You might look at something on the I 44 corridor. I think you are about to go into culture shock. They don't call it Fort Lost in the Woods for nothing. It's pretty rural...

Old 11-18-2010, 06:56 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
I haven't been to that part of Mo. yet but this whole scenario sounds like a new adventure in the making.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:24 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,827 times
[quote=dargirl;16692385]do not want to be out in the country- living 5min from san jose right now 900,000 people- ? Love to have privacy but love to be close to amenities[quote]

I live in Phelps County and work in Pulaski County. The population of Phelps County is about 42,000. The population of Pulaski County is under 47,000.

In other words, all we are is country out here. The biggest town is Rolla; it's got about 18,000. There are NO MALLS in either county. Good news for you, though: There is a tiny STARBUCKS, it's nothing more than a booth really, in the Pricechopper supermarket in Waynesville.

I think you and your husband have made a serious mistake. You're going to hate it here. You should have started doing this research BEFORE he took the job.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:43 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
[quote=ozarksboy;16707649][quote=dargirl;16692385]do not want to be out in the country- living 5min from san jose right now 900,000 people- ? Love to have privacy but love to be close to amenities
Quote:

I live in Phelps County and work in Pulaski County. The population of Phelps County is about 42,000. The population of Pulaski County is under 47,000.

In other words, all we are is country out here. The biggest town is Rolla; it's got about 18,000. There are NO MALLS in either county. Good news for you, though: There is a tiny STARBUCKS, it's nothing more than a booth really, in the Pricechopper supermarket in Waynesville.

I think you and your husband have made a serious mistake. You're going to hate it here. You should have started doing this research BEFORE he took the job.
I hate to do this but I'm going to have to agree with you here on the research part. But if it's a done deal, she's going to have to look at it as a new experience and get the most out of it she can.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:28 AM

[quote=misplaced1;16709271I hate to do this but I'm going to have to agree with you here on the research part. But if it's a done deal, she's going to have to look at it as a new experience and get the most out of it she can.[/QUOTE]

Her ONLY alternative is to live in Rolla. I'm not sure where the upscale apartments are in town, if there are any. We do have Snob Knob, aka Mortgage Mountain, if she wants to buy one of the fanciest houses in town.

I don't know how she's going to meet other women who don't work or have kids. Rolla is cliquish. The group most like her would be the University wives. Good luck breaking into that group. There's a group of businesswomen, especially a large group of female Realtors, but if she can't work, that's out.

She's a Canadian from Califoreignia, so I know she isn't interested in church involvement.

There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer. Maybe she can meet friends that way.

Also, she's going to move in January. That's unfortunate.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:58 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
You'll want to make a lot of weekend trips to St. Louis...

Old 11-19-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
You'll want to make a lot of weekend trips to St. Louis...
Maybe she should live in St. Louis and he should take a tiny apartment or trailer in Pulaski County and go visit her on the weekends. If he took the job that's going to move her out of the city and into rural America out here amongst us rednecks, ruining her life, that's the way it will wind up for them eventually any way. He ought to realize that and do something about it now, like find a little travel trailer to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri