U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:03 AM

76 posts, read 354,851 times

Advertisements

firebll31, how long did your trantulas live? Did the insects keep them busy with lots to eat? I definitely don't like mosquito's or ticks so I will keep lots of bug spray and frontline around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 07:32 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,118,297 times
The longest was 5 years. That was the store bought Rose-haired tarantula, and it was pretty well grown when we got it. I have no idea how old the others were. One met an untimely death-my sister was holding it on her hand and it decided to jump onto the concrete floor of the basement. SPLAT!
We fed them vitamin-coated crickets from the pet store, which kept me up at night chirping. It was fascinating when they shed their skins, it looked like 2 spiders in the terrarium, even the covers of the fangs came off.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:25 PM

37 posts, read 124,613 times
We live in CA now also, but are relocating after husband retires. Have purchased land and will build in Mountain Grove. I grew up in MO and raised sons there. Have lived in Nebraska, Wyoming, Washington, Kansas, California, Oregon, Utah, Arizona--guess that's about it. Anyway, "Fed Up", do NOT listen to everyone else especially in CA. Californians somehow have that HollyWeird thing about anywhere BUT CA. I'd rather use lots of Off or Skin So Soft (for fleas and ticks on the dogs) than have to be on alert constantly because of all of the crime and insane drivers. Good luck on your search. Missouri has some very informative web sites too I might add. We have been researching for about 5 years, and Mountain Grove it is!

Old 04-21-2007, 07:20 PM

137 posts, read 570,797 times
saw my first brown recluse in Mo the other day. I had seen pictures and knew what to look for. We were moving some old tin in an old log cabin barn at a neighbors place. He had given me the tin for a lean-to. after a few sheets I noticed a spider or two and was looking at them closely. I saw the fiddle and said to my friend, "these are brown recluse!" as I looked at the rest of the sheet I saw around fifty spiders in all sizes1 some as large as quarters and some tiny. I pulled the sheet off the truck and turned it over on the grass and pulled it back and forth to clean it of spiders. it gave me the willies for days after that thinking of all those potentially dangerous fangs in one place and me with bare arms amongst them!

Old 07-15-2007, 06:43 PM

37 posts, read 124,613 times
Default Brown Recluse

This Summer we returned to Mountain Grove from CA to clear some of the land we purchased last year. Husband worked diligently, and naturally mixed and moved leaves, rocks, trees that had gone undisturbed for many years we were told. Weeks after returning home, the bite on his calf remained swollen, sore, oozing, and itching and burning. I treated it with an old Indian remedy--mud. It's nearly gone now, never reaching ANY proportions resembling what we saw online--entire limbs eated away--gross! At a regular check up this week with doctor, husband showed him the bite area. Doc said that the cases we saw online and had heard about for so long were EXTREME cases, definitely NOT the norm. This was a relief to me, and thought I'd pass it on to those of you who may have heard the same horror stories.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:34 AM

59 posts, read 243,562 times
Having lived in Central Missouri all my life I would like to ease some of your fears. I have never, ever seen a terantula other than on television. If they are in Missouri they are not in my area. Scorpions are supposedly around the Lake of the Ozarks and other Lake areas but I grew up going every weekend and never saw one of those either. We do have Brown Recluse spiders and I know a few folks who have been bitten but they never felt the actual bit just the results. No one ever had to have an amputation but the healing process takes a few weeks. We do have mosquitoes but our community spray for them monthly so they are not a real big problem. Some communities have a spray program some do not. We use Frontline on our dogs once a month and have no problems with ticks or fleas. There are ways to take care of most insect problems.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:14 PM

37 posts, read 118,891 times
Default Spiders

Hello all. I am planning to move to Springfield near the end of Septemeber. I have some questions about spiders. I plan to live in the "city" area of Springfield. How often should I expect to see spiders in my home? In an apartment building setting, should I expect to see them on the second or third floors? Also, is there some kind of pest control that can take care of spiders? Thanks!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:27 PM

25,464 posts, read 12,495,944 times
I live in midMissouri and there are plenty of creepy crawlers around here. Have had spiders in the home and outside. While I do not advocate extreme and random spraying, whatever, of any and all insects, I would suggest that you contact a local pest control company when you actually decide to move.

If you will be renting, be sure and ask the landlord about any concerns that you may have along this line. Maybe they have periodic spraying done just for this concern.

On many web sites you will find that it is suggested that one does not accumulate 'junk' and leave it lay around In other words, keep your closets free of things just laying on the floors, spiders, etc. do so love 'things' that never get moved

Have seen recluse spiders in my home in areas that have in the past been dedicated to long term storage. Which sometimes I think winds up being way too many places

Even had a wolf spider one time in my bedroom. Never did figure out how and why he was there. These are 'good' spiders, I have been informed!

Spiders are everywhere. In other words, not ALL bad but some WAY less desirable than others. Good luck to you...

Old 07-26-2007, 08:38 AM

287 posts, read 1,002,016 times
i live in st. louis city in a 90 year old home and we have brown recluses...but so do all of our neighbors. We have a pest control agency come 4 times a year. We put out traps and we catch probably 8-10 a year, but that's it. I've never seen one other than on the traps. They're extremely common here. I read a Univ. of MO study online that said 70 percent of homes in MO have them. People just don't see them because they hide and only come out at night.
Worse than those, in my opinion, are the house centipedes...they're so gross!! They're harmless though. I've just accepted that living here means living with bugs, but I still love this area anyway!

Old 09-22-2007, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,809 times
Thumbs up mo is great

I Have Lived In Mo For 2 Years Now And I Love It. I Lived In Ca All My Life (46 Yrs) And Was A Little Aprehensive But Kept Seeing All The Lovely Houses And Land Here For Really Good Prices And When My Husband Became Disabled, We Left Ca For Mo Sight Unseen. The Bugs Are Really Not Any More Of An Issue Than Anywhere Else, They Are More Varied And Interesting Buy Few Are Harmful To People. If You Buy A House In The Country You Are Going To Have More Bugs, As We Did. My Dogs Had Ticks In Ca Also. I Use K9advantage During The Summer And Really Don't Have Any Problems. Yes There Are Brown Recluse Spiders Here But They Are Sooo Docile, Unless You Rub Them On Your Skin, They Want Nothing To Do With People. There Is Such A Difference Here That The Bugs Will Be Forgotten. People Are So Much Nicer Here And Much More Old Fashioned. I Live On The Mo/ark Border In A Tiny Town And Would Not Move If My Life Depended On It. I Can Not Say Enough About How Nice It Is Here. I Know You Will Be Happily Surprised. Go For It!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri