U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:41 PM

2,503 posts, read 5,705,886 times

Advertisements

ST,

You're my hero!!! Here in our NY house we have huge spiders...and my daughters and I use what we unofficially call "the spider scream" when one sneaks up on us. If you are afraid of spiders, you know what it sounds like! I tried researching them, as they have black and orange striped legs and can get bigger than wolf spiders. They look like either fisher spiders or raft spiders. When we visited the land in Mansfield, MO, they have spiders about the size, shape and color of acorns hanging from the oak trees. If I ever get one of those in my hair, I will gross out, have a case of the permanent ickies and die!!! Isn't there some kind of bird or lizard that likes to eat those things? Yuck, it's icky just thinking about them. But really, it's the poisonous ones that are the real threat. Do you have to check your shoes before you put them on? How prevalent are the brown recluses, scorpions, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 03:27 PM
jps

79 posts, read 361,987 times
It's funny, I've lived in Florida for twenty years now and it's not buggy at all where I live, certainly nothing like what was described upthread. In fact, when I visit Missouri every summer, I'm amazed at how buggy it is. The ticks and chiggers are a menace, and the common housefly will keep you from eating outside. When I stay at my Mom's house, she always leaves the porch light on, which, while well meaning, makes it impossible to get into the house without being assaulted by thousands of moths, junebugs, etc. I usually call her on my cell from her driveway, asking her to turn off the light so I can come into the house.

Fire ants and palmetto bugs are the prevailing pests in my area. I treat my lawn twice a year to control the ants, the palmetto bugs stay outside for the most part, so no biggie there (once you get use to the fact that they are mouse-sized roaches).

Old 01-06-2008, 03:34 PM

23,417 posts, read 32,880,301 times
I live on the fringes of the Ocala National Forest, so I am sure its waaaaay more buggy here than in Pinellas County, its the one drawback to living out here..... besides the fact that its not Mo

Old 04-21-2008, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,644 times
Default Junebugs--help Me!!!!!

JUNEBUGS I HAVE DISCOVERED TONIGHT ARE MAKING THEIR APPEARANCE AND I AM COMPLETELY PHOBIC OF THEM. THEY LITERALLY ARE DRAWN TO ME AND FOR INSTANCE ABOVE MY FRONT DOOR ENTRANCE THERE ARE AT LEAST 15 RIGHT NOW.
MY ????? IS HOW DO I GET THEM TO LEAVE ME ALONE AND IS THERE ANY TYPE OF PESTICIDE OR REPELLENT TO KEEP THEM FROM ME BECAUSE MY PHOBIA IS SOOOO BAD THAT I AM FREAKING OUT...
I CAN DEAL WITH SNAKES... SPIDERS... WHATEVER BUT JUNEBUGS I FLIP OUT AND NOT ONLY LOOK RIDICULOUS BUT IT IS A FACT THAT THEY ZERO IN AND ARE DRAWN TO ME AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. HELP ?? ANYONE??? PLEASE??

Old 04-22-2008, 08:48 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,118,941 times
You are sure they are Junebugs, it seems really early for them, although maybe your neck of the woods is different from the SW corner. I have never heard of them being drawn to someone since they don't bite humans. So I doubt if bug spray would help. What is it about them that freaks you out? I bring them in sometimes to let the indoor cats have fun. I will often find a little raft of them holding on to each other in the pool skimmer, slowly going in circles. Your best bet to avoid them is to come inside before dark. And to treat the lawn for the grubs that turn into Junebugs. Good luck!

June Bugs : Cahri’s Bugs Online

Last edited by firebll31; 04-22-2008 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: add more

Old 04-23-2008, 09:01 PM

10,064 posts, read 18,084,707 times
Quote:
Hands down, the worst problem with more than 4 legs in Southwest Missouri is ticks . How bad they are will depend on (1) how close you live to a wooded area, (2) how close you live to a river or creek, (3) how much rain you've had, how much you or your pets go running around in areas with tall grass
(4) How sensitive you are to the bites. The itches last for months with me unless I use a home remedy I got from a lady in the Ozarks, which will cure anything I think. Ticks are the worst problem here as far as I'm concerned. Mosquitoes are a real problem in SE MO, though not as much in other parts of the state. I've been camping and hiking here all of my life and snake bites and spider bites are quite rare. I've never seen a tarantula, saw a wolf spider once and a scorpion once, and I'm going on half a century. I'd love to see a hell bender lizard. The humidity can be bad sometimes, but the worst humidity I ever suffered was in Maryland once.

Steve-O, I love the pix. Did you take those yourself? It sounds like you know a lot about this stuff, so maybe you can help with a thing I've been wondering about. When we were in Oz, we found about the white tail spider, which has bites similar to the brown recluse here. The man I was talking to said that the reactions to the bites varies, depending on what the spider's last meal was. Well they have Daddy long-legs there also, and they are also extremely poisonous, though unable to bite you--same as here. The man said that the venom of the bite of the white tail is as poisonous as their last meal was, so you could still get daddy venom, thru the white tail. Do you know anything about that? Could it be true here also? I know some people react horribly, and most don't have a lot of problems. It's just that the horror stories stick in your mind.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:50 AM

774 posts, read 1,298,486 times
stepka, what kind of home remedy do you use for the unrelenting itching? I am just covered in bites, mostly from ticks (after going mushroom hunting).
I take Benadryl morning and night to try and relieve the itching and I have a salve made from Chickweed, Sunflower Oil and parafin. It only helps for a short time. My bites are now sores from my non-stop scratching.
I love Missouri but, I have never seen so many bugs.
HELP!!!!

Old 04-24-2008, 09:15 AM

10,064 posts, read 18,084,707 times
Calm down mamagator, I feel your pain. First of all, did you find mushrooms? If so, it was worth it--I've never found any yet, after years of searching.

What you need is a salve made from plantain weed, that ribby stuff that grows in peoples' yards and that they hate. Gather a bowlful of that and clean it and let it dry a bit in the oven, then put it in a crockpot on low with a bit of oil to cover it. Keep the lid off and let it steep for several hours til the oil is nice and green and the leaves are getting crispy. I use either olive oil or coconut oil. I like to add things like comfrey, which really bumps up the healing effect, and calendula herbs. The lady from the Ozarks swears that all she uses is plantain, so her plantain must be better than mine. Now strain the oil and add some beeswax to set it up. Important, don't use paraffin--that is petroleum based and not good for you. If you don't have any beeswax, just wait until you can get some and use the oil anyway--it's only to make it less messy to use. While you are waiting for your salve to cook, you can crush some of those plantain leaves and rub them all over the bites to start the healing because it sounds like you need some relief quick. The plantain will not stop the itching right away, but it will start the healing, and you should have relief in a day or so. I've had those tick bites itch for 8 months before I found the salve recipe, but they're completely gone in 2 weeks with the remedy. If you're getting infected, dab a bit of tea tree oil or oregano oil on to make that go away. The lady from the Ozarks said that the salve is good for all bug bites, even brown recluse bites.

Well the ticks are nasty little buggers, and MO probably has more than any other state, but we don't seem to suffer the lyme disease like some other parts of the country. As for me, I'm staying here til I die, and I'll not stop camping or hiking, but I definitely stay on the path and don't go wading thru tall grass or thick underbrush. Not recommended here. Oh, did you know that in New Zealand they can go hiking barefoot and many do? Wow. Imagine that in Missouri--it boggles the mind.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 AM

418 posts, read 1,079,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holliday70 View Post
JUNEBUGS I HAVE DISCOVERED TONIGHT ARE MAKING THEIR APPEARANCE AND I AM COMPLETELY PHOBIC OF THEM. THEY LITERALLY ARE DRAWN TO ME AND FOR INSTANCE ABOVE MY FRONT DOOR ENTRANCE THERE ARE AT LEAST 15 RIGHT NOW.
MY ????? IS HOW DO I GET THEM TO LEAVE ME ALONE AND IS THERE ANY TYPE OF PESTICIDE OR REPELLENT TO KEEP THEM FROM ME BECAUSE MY PHOBIA IS SOOOO BAD THAT I AM FREAKING OUT...
I CAN DEAL WITH SNAKES... SPIDERS... WHATEVER BUT JUNEBUGS I FLIP OUT AND NOT ONLY LOOK RIDICULOUS BUT IT IS A FACT THAT THEY ZERO IN AND ARE DRAWN TO ME AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. HELP ?? ANYONE??? PLEASE??
My brother used to tie a string to a June bug's leg, then let it fly and chase me around with it, (that's a big brother for you). I've never seen June bugs this early. I assume a good wasp spray would take care of them.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:19 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,801,798 times
I am in Arkansas, but am 'eavesdropping' on this conversation. I am very sensitive to chigger bites, but finally discovered that if I take an antihistamine each evening before going to bed it greatly relieves the itch. I use a generic type of benedryl.
An added benefit is that the antihistamine helps my sleep problems due to fibromyalgia.
I hope this has been helpful for chigger bite sufferers. It will soon be that season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri