Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 10:28 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,261 times

Advertisements

The thing I love most about Missouri is the beautiful old Architecture. It seems so sad that so many structures in Missouri are abandoned and left to decay. As a young girl in Oregon we went on a field trip to explore some of the old buildings they had restored along with the furnishings and I was hooked. I've been around new construction all my life, worked in it, father and hubby both have. I've never favored the newer construction it just doesn't seem to have personality and the feeling of the older homes. It just seems too sterile, too bland for the most part.

My husband and I used to just drive around looking at the beautiful buildings in Missouri, where we are now in small town Ca the architecture just doesn't compare and what little there is that is close is so out of our price range. I love the Vics and the Gothic revival and the Italianate. The house we are buying is a sad old 4 square house that's going to need a lot of work to bring it back to it's former glory but it has gorgeous woodwork, hardwood floors and good bones.

OH and one thing my hubby and 2 sons LOVED in Missouri were the fireworks!! We had a show at the fairgrounds and then the neighbors started and it rocked! I really miss the fun we had there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 11:47 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,573,872 times
misplaced1...Happy to hear that you loved so much about Missouri's architecture. I agree. Some to the small towns as well as larger cities have fascinating structures. I like the towns with 'Town Squares'. The old Court Houses can be so ornate.

I know what you mean about the fireworks. I miss how we used to celebrate the 4th with many pontoon boats on our lake and a few of the men would set off the fireworks on the dam. Two times the fun.., The actual sparkling show above and then the wavy reflection on the water. Good old days.

And thunderstorms are the best. We are supposed to have some this Wednesday. Hope so.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:49 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,621 times
I love my rural Missouri church.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 03-17-2009 at 09:26 PM..

Old 03-18-2009, 08:21 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,382,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Yea we like to party at the river on Saturday night,but then we will be at Church Sunday and after Church go to the same river to watch your Baby Sister be Baptized.

Yes I Love my Missouri.

hillman
I've done this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
We had a brilliant red male cardinal at the bird feeder outside our living room window about 6 this evening. Now that he knows about our restaurant, I'm sure he'll be back. We'll have fireflies this summer, I feel certain, just like we've had them every summer in the 10 years I've lived here. We have more bunnies and squirrels run through our yard than I can throw a stick at-- and yet, we live in a neighborhood in Columbia that's 10 minutes' walk from downtown or MU. So yeah, all those things are still here, right here in my near-urban neighborhood. I think that's pretty amazing.

Sometimes I wonder why I pay for cable TV.
I went 10 years without watching TV. Didn't really seem like I missed much, looking back.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:59 AM

59 posts, read 262,137 times
The old architecture in Missouri is truly something to behold. I live in Boonville and there are over 400 homes and business on the Historic Register here. Love driving down the tree lined streets and looking at the huge older homes with the amazing architecture. The majority of the home owners take great pride in retaining the beauty and glory of these masterpieces for the rest of us to enjoy. The only one that has fallen into disrepair was recently purchased and is being lovingly restored. I love driving by and seeing it coming back to its former glory.
We also have the fireworks here, usually twice in the summer, once at a celebration called Heritage days and then again on the 4th. Everyone takes their lawnchairs to the old Kemper football field and there are concessions and games for the kids before the fireworks begin.
It is absolutely wonderful living here. The spring thunderstorms are just an added bonus as long as they don't get too carried away.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:57 AM

24 posts, read 64,434 times
I have purchased a home (hobby farm) in Golden City MO and after reading this blog I can't wait to retire down there I am currently residing in the northeast NH and it sounds wonderful to live in MO. We will spend as much time as we can down there. We can't wait to be there in Carthage for the Maple Leaf Festival. About the winneries in MO can someone elaborate? I have a thought to start my own wine making it sounds like it would be interesting.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:38 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,261 times
I was actually looking up wine last night. Not much of a drinker myself, but I found it interesting. Anyway here's a site... Missouri Wines

Old 04-07-2009, 08:50 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,208 times
Carlidin is that Old Home still just across the bridge in the Bottoms or did the flood of '93 get it.I remember the Old Snody's Store.Loved it.Remember getting Cattle of Franklin Island when it would flood.I have a bunch of Pics of the Old Boonville around here somewhere.

Oh you want History spend a day at the cemetary.Lots of my Kin there.

hillman

Old 04-08-2009, 04:48 AM

24 posts, read 64,434 times
Default Wine making

Thanks for the information. I will check it out.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:11 AM

169 posts, read 398,348 times
Ah, Missouri... I miss
bullbats in the dusk,
folks who wave on the roads,
the smell of sycamore leaves,
the color of chert gravel bars on the river,
four o'clocks opening,
call of the Bob White,
real home-grown tomatoes,
the Current River,
nodding Lady Slippers,
summer storms with lightning.
And that's just for starters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri