Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 01:22 PM

430 posts, read 1,264,023 times

Advertisements

I love the absolute peace and serenity I feel when I'm at the lake, a crane standing on the dock "fishing", the frogs croaking, the bass jumping....there can't be a better place on earth than the lake......heading your way on the 25th of this month for vacation and will be moving there in March, we close on the house in 2 days...I can't wait!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 08:56 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,382,253 times
Wink That's what I'm talkin about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Nana View Post
I love the absolute peace and serenity I feel when I'm at the lake, a crane standing on the dock "fishing", the frogs croaking, the bass jumping....there can't be a better place on earth than the lake......heading your way on the 25th of this month for vacation and will be moving there in March, we close on the house in 2 days...I can't wait!!
My kinda girl...I'd say. C'mon Ozark Nana...they be jumpin here too.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:57 PM

Wink We need bass playin here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Well, I'm from Fairfield, So I guess one day I'll have the same experiance...
Won't be soon enough...
There's some good things in Fairfield, too Cali BassMan...you're one of them...

Old 08-06-2007, 09:06 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,654,796 times
Smile Welcome, Ozark Nana!

How exciting, Ozark Nana!

How nice to be able to just go on vacation after closing escrow!!! Now, THAT'S a way to do it if ya can!!! So, are you moving to the town of Ozark? Is work bringing you out this way or are you possibly retiring?

I enjoyed your post and hope to see more of you 'round here! Others may have welcomed you already but since this is the first post of yours that I've seen, I also want to say, "Welcome!", too! So...WELCOME!!!

MrsG

Old 08-06-2007, 11:51 PM

430 posts, read 1,264,023 times
Talking Thank you!

MrsG,
Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I'm retiring, my better 1/2 is already retired. We'll be moving to Gravois Mills actually. Our new place is in the Gravois arm of the lake....we actually had NO INTENTION of ever moving from Tucson until we visited your beautiful state. "Show Me" is a wonderful motto for Missouri, because it showed us how beautiful a place could be.

It was amazing how the 2 of us relaxed, and took a deep breath. Time almost stood still the week were there visiting. Then we went back a month later to see if it was just the excitement of a "new place" or if we were really nuts about it....we were nuts about it and became more so the longer we were there. We thought long and hard about the move and what it would mean....and took the plunge! The summers here kinda wear us out, we use to be able to handle them....but 115 is hot no matter how "dry" the heat is!

We truly feel blessed to be able to move to the Lake of the Ozarks, I said one morning while drinking a hot cup of coffee and watching the sunrise. "You know Dear, God could of quit on day one if he had made this Lake first".......

Again, thanks for the welcome, expect to see me here for quite a while!!

Old 08-07-2007, 04:59 PM

Wink That's it exactly...

Quote:
MrsG,....we actually had NO INTENTION of ever moving from Tucson until we visited your beautiful state. "Show Me" is a wonderful motto for Missouri, because it showed us how beautiful a place could be.

It was amazing how the 2 of us relaxed, and took a deep breath.
Someone asked me last week...why do you like Missouri?

The first thought that came to me was...it's more relaxed.
Like the opposite of tense.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:58 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,654,796 times
Thumbs up Right on, ONana!

Quote:
MrsG,
Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I'm retiring, my better 1/2 is already retired. We'll be moving to Gravois Mills actually. Our new place is in the Gravois arm of the lake....we actually had NO INTENTION of ever moving from Tucson until we visited your beautiful state. "Show Me" is a wonderful motto for Missouri, because it showed us how beautiful a place could be.

It was amazing how the 2 of us relaxed, and took a deep breath. Time almost stood still the week were there visiting. Then we went back a month later to see if it was just the excitement of a "new place" or if we were really nuts about it....we were nuts about it and became more so the longer we were there. We thought long and hard about the move and what it would mean....and took the plunge! The summers here kinda wear us out, we use to be able to handle them....but 115 is hot no matter how "dry" the heat is!

We truly feel blessed to be able to move to the Lake of the Ozarks, I said one morning while drinking a hot cup of coffee and watching the sunrise. "You know Dear, God could of quit on day one if he had made this Lake first".......

Again, thanks for the welcome, expect to see me here for quite a while!!
You've hit the nail on the head, OzarkNana! My husband and I had a similar experience. We came to look at properties to look into moving here and I was taking pictures everywhere we went and ooohed and aaahed at the simplest of things! After that, we left to check out WA (long story made short...er) and even after going through a lot of beautiful country, we found ourselves missing MO and our beautiful Ozarks! We're still takin' those deeeep breaths and enjoying a much needed rest from the stress of city livin'!

Moving takes waaay more work than we ever thought and we're still not getting as much work as we need but we still haven't regretted it one minute. Oh, yeah! We got it baaaad!!!

Old 08-08-2007, 10:13 PM

871 posts, read 1,985,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy4570 View Post
What I love about my Mo... well obviously it is just beautiful! Can't escape that. I like the fact that it will be a lot easier to live within my means. (that means I ain't got that many means...) Can't escape the fact that folks are friendly, love the waves. We have one house on our road, well on the road ours runs into. We use it to go to all parts north, Mountain grove, Norwood, or just to hit 60 to get to a place when we are in a hurry and don't have time to take the scenic routes. oh yeah, the scenic routes... they take a little more time but the things you see! anyway back to this one house, we have seen folks in the yard and we wave as we drive by...they never wave...they stand out because they don't wave. We thought everybody waved down here! lol
I know that the lack of zoning and building codes are a bummer to some who move in from what they feel are more progressive places, they are concerned about the houses they want to buy and I don't blame them. But one thing I love about my Mo is that where I live you are allowed to be less than rich. It is OK to be poor and not have the money to put up that wonderful house on the hill and pay the guys to put in a great looking yard with all the trees just so... Yup, they look great but we don't all have the cabbage for those things. In my county I am allowed to be poor and still allowed to have the dignity of owning my own patch of dirt and building within my own means at my own pace. The state where I come from does not allow that. The state I left before that would not allow a man to live in a camper on his own land in the country while he built his house. He had rented a porta john and kept everything nice and tidy. He built a really nice house eventually but the state told him no to living on his own land. This was in the state of Michigan where it is the norm to have a small cabin "up north" . What I love about Missouri is that I am allowed to be FREE! ( It doesn't hurt that we have views of over ten miles all around our mountain top!) I saw a Bobcat trotting across highway five north of Ava the other day. A first for me. I hear turkeys gobble all around my mountain for months in the spring. We are serenaded by song dogs (coyotes) at night. The whippoorwills sing from dusk to dawn most nights. I love to watch the fence lizards bobbing their heads on the tree trunks. I can't go to town without seeing at least eight to ten views where I can see for miles and miles. I don't just love Missouri , my wife and I plan to die here! My oldest dog is almost fifteen. He has had some bad times and I was worried he might leave us soon. I asked him to hang on long enough to make it to our land in Missouri...I want to bury him here, not on a piece of land I don't love. I just hope that all of us coming to Missouri don't change it to much. It is the slower pace and the so called "backward" folks (rednecks to yall) that I love. I am one of them and I have finally found home. Wild horses couldn't drag me away from here.

But the single most important thing I love about Missouri is the look I see on my sweetie's face when she sits outside in the morning mist drinking her first cup of coffee...as she looks out over the treetops with the misty wisps rising up from the gorges...I see peace...I see contentment...I see love on her face. She is happy there on what we call "Crazy Woman Mountain". It is her mountain and I will build her a castle there and we will live happily ever after... and that is how it should be... and the beat goes on...
Frank Sinatra could'nt have sang it better. We all be swooning

Old 08-10-2007, 10:25 AM

48 posts, read 139,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Well I have lots of friends originally from St Louis so I know what you're saying is true...they would never consider themselves rednecks.
But what is redneck-edness?
I know when I first moved from CA to small town MO, it was explained to me, "You can call us hillbillies, but don't call us hicks!"
So...any thoughts on the diff?
What about South St. Louis?
Well, I would almost rule out St. Louis as a part of Missouri if I could. The rest of the state is friendly!

Old 11-17-2007, 10:16 PM

46 posts, read 134,023 times
I'm new to the forum, and I just wanted to let y'all know that I really feel good about looking in MO for a place to settle down. Your descriptions, your banter and your decorum certainly add to the charm of the place.

We're moving in the next year, and I just started searching out places to explore when we get some time off. Thanks for sharing

~SK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri