U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2006, 03:18 AM

2 posts, read 6,385 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone -

I have never been to MO, but accidently stumbled across some info online. One thing lead to another and then I found City-Data.com. Thank goodness because alot of the sites I have been to are standard info, and nothing can compare to real people's living experiences. This is what I was looking for!

I currently live in northern ca w/my new husband who has lived pretty much in the same place all of his life. I have lived my childhood in OK & CA, and adult life throughout southern ca; mountains, beaches, lakes, desert, then to northern ca. I worked for CA State Parks 15+ yrs, my husband works for PG&E in construction. We have 5 adult children in their mid late 20's and 4 grandbabies.

I am seriously interested in moving to MO for a better quality of life for my husband and I. (My 25 yr old son has lived in Fayettville, AK for 5 yrs. and will never come back to CA).

With alot of research, facts, then visiting MO. my husband is willing to be open minded to the idea. (He does not like tornados. I grew up w/them and earthquakes, I will take a tornado over an earthquake anyday. )

We have the resources to purchase a home, but we will both still have to work for another 5 years before we can retire. So we need to find us a good job til then.

I have been researching the housing market, mostly in the Tri-Lakes area using the MO MLS site.

He would like to have a lake front home w/boat slip as we have a outboard ski boat. He likes to water ski and just putt around the lake taking in nature. I like to fish and swim, no water skiing for me!

I was looking more at living in a small town community in closer proximity to one of the big lakes, but withing 30 to 45 minutes from Springfield. My dream home would be a cabin or brick home, and definetely with a walk out basement w/trees.

If we went with a lake front home what are the down sides to caring for such a home and living on the lake? What town would be the best to live in that would still be within 45 minutes from Springfield?

What would be a nice town with homes that have at least 1 acre between them?

What kind of trees are in the lake area communites?

If we did go with a small town community home, can you purchase a boat slip/shared dock on a lake, or do you have to live on the lake to do that? I saw that they cost $15,000 on up but other than that, I'm not savvy to the in's and out's of this.

Also, I enjoy horses, owned, cared for and rode horses up through my teens. But where I have lived, that life style hasn't been available. By reading the real estate adds, I got the impression some rual communities don't allow them on your property. Anyone have any information that might be helpful in relationship to the availabilty of owning/keeping horses on your property on the lake or in a nearby community (Looking for Horse Friendly area if possible.)?

Thanks much!
Cheryl

Last edited by CherylD; 08-22-2006 at 03:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 10:34 AM

14 posts, read 63,580 times
Cheryl: You will love living in MO. South of Springfield is nice. Branson, Bull Shoals, Beaver Lake and Table Rock are some attactions. It is expensive however (by MO standards). Lake of the Ozarks is great too. You'll find everything you seek. I lived in L.A. for 10 years before moving to the Ozarks. Once you adjust, you'll flourish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or