Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 03:48 PM

694 posts, read 1,356,977 times

Advertisements

Deer and turkey season the woods will draw the hunters - but if your posted you won't be bothered. If someone is interested in hunting on your land, 99.9% of them will ask.

The other .01% are usually guys who spent too much time watching Rambo movies.. they will sneak in at night, spotlight a deer from a tree and then jump on it with a bowie knife. You'll never hear them - just find a blood trail in the morning ..... had you going didnt I? I'm kidding!! :-)

You won't have any problems with hunters. And the property listings like that - are usually for wealthy out of state investors who buy land here to hunt on. A lot do. Or for Californian's wanting to move back and have deer and squirrels in their yard - which they will about anywhere outside the city or suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2006, 03:55 PM

138 posts, read 637,923 times
Thanks for the scare. But what about my neighbors hunting on their own land? Do you know how far the sound travels? If I have 50 acres of my own land, will I hear them? I'm looking for a peaceful place to live, and if I keep hearing gun shots, it won't qualify.

Old 03-17-2006, 06:58 AM

694 posts, read 1,356,977 times
Sorry no guarantee's there. What a man does on his own property is his own business. I have a neighbor that likes to shoot his guns off. As long as he isn't firing into my land, nothing I can say about it. I live in the country - now in the cities and towns - they usually have laws against it. Then again, in the towns you loose your privacy.

Old 03-19-2006, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,961 times
Hi Cherri,
I have lived in Marionville my whole life, and for the most part, it isn't too bad. It's small enough that you get to know just about everyone in town, which isn't always a bad thing, and many of the people in town would give someone the shirt off of their own back to someone who needed it. With the population of just over 2,100 there isn't always a lot for kids to do, or that great of shopping, but there is a wal-mart in Aurora (6miles) and a wal-mart super center in Republic (12 miles) and more shopping in Springfield, but if you like the small town life, Marionville is good. The town will be opening a new library at the end of May that is a lot bigger than the current one we have, which will have more room for summer activities. We also have a city park that is a couple of blocks from the square that they have re-done in the last few years, which may be something your kids may want to do, depending on their age. We are also the home of the white squirrels, which is something that not too many people outside of the area have seen. Yes, they are really white, and the town is proud of these unique residents.
A not so good of a thing about the town is that the school district has been having some problems with keeping good teachers in the last few years. Yeah, we've been hit by 2 tornados in 3 years, but it's just something you have to deal with when living in this area. Many of those who have were fortunate to not get hit by the tornado, have been giving money, preparing hot meals or helping clean up, showing those in different parts of the state, or the US that we are a close nit town. Besides the tornados, the weather is nice, and we have a lot of apple orchards. We have a fall celebration called “Apple Fest” every September down town, with craft booths around the square. If you have any questions, please let me know, and I will do my best to answer them. Have a great day!

Old 03-20-2006, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,950 times
Hunting is a part of rural life, in both Missouri and TN., and Arkansas. Some areas are hunted more than others. I don't mean to be offensive, but you can't have it both ways. 50 acres of ideal peace and quiet, and forget that there are other people in the county, who may have been there all their lives, that like to hunt, ride four wheelers, and various other activities which might include target shooting.
On the good side, lower taxes, cleaner air, safer schools.
You might also want to think of northern Arkansas east of Harrison all the way to the flat land of eastern Ar. South of MO 160 which runs along the bottom of the state.

BB

Old 03-20-2006, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. I know other people like other activities, including hunting. I'm trying to find out:
1) In what areas hunting is more common, so I can make sure I don't select an area that doesn't meet my needs.
2) How far the sound of shooting travels. Someone with the experience may be able to tell me if 50 acres will muffle the sound enough or if I am fooling myself thinking I won't be hearing the neighbors as much as in the city.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:35 PM

Quote "You might also want to think of northern Arkansas east of Harrison all
the way to the flat land of eastern Ar. South of MO 160 which runs
along the bottom of the state. "

Thanks for the suggestion. I am interested in all those areas. I am trying to find out the differences between them.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:43 PM

8 posts, read 29,818 times
I don't live in Missouri YET (i'm moving there in june) but I do live in Indiana in the country of a VERY small town..so around here people hunt..so I might be able to help you on that..(not that I hunt nor will i ever lol i love bambi in the woods not on my table but my husband is a huter) anyway hunting season doesn't last forever it's only a few weeks..and chances are inside your house you won't hear it and if you do it will be really muffled so you'd only barely hear it. As far as hearing it outside..most men and yes some women hunt from sun up til around noon then they go back out around three or four til dark..also since hunting season starts in november for shotgun chances are if you are like me you will be inside drinking coffee cuddled up on the couch with a good book..ok thats what i would like to be doing lol..anyway you have no worries there.
As far as bugs..you are going to the woods..so yes there will be bugs..as far as skeeters they are only bad around any standing water..meaning little watering holes ponds ect. and you can spray for them as well as wear repellant. Ticks are easy to feel and see ..well deer ticks aren't but its always a good idea to check for them after being out in the woods..gosh i've probably scared u to death lol..either way what i'm getting at is there are going to be some changes going to the country but it's nothing that you won't get used to and be happy you did it. If your that worried about liking it I would suggest starting out slow by renting a home in town or on the edge to see if you'd even like the area..

Old 03-21-2006, 11:17 AM

Thanks Christy, that does reassure me about the hunting. I will definitely be sleeping well past sun up and then inside having coffee in November. I live in the city, and I am excited to get away from the cars driving by with their blaring stereos, etc. I was starting to get visions of just as much noise from the neighbors, only of a different sort. My boyfriend is a little worried about mosquitoes and gnats swarming his head as they seem to really like him. We will have to find what works to keep them away.

Old 03-21-2006, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,825 times
Default Marionville & Seymour

I grew up in Marionville & my parents / granparents still live there. It's a typical small town. The last 2 tornados have actually followed the same path, which is dead center between my parents & 1 set of grandparents. Neither had any damage. However, there was lots of damage along the path. There was about a 10 year span before this 2003 that we didn't have tornado trouble.

For children, the only activities are through school / sports. Marionville have an outstanding sports program for both girls & boys (basketball & football). The band is also known for its success.

It's quiet living, where everyone knows your business. This is both a plus and a negative. Marionville does boast the white squirrels and they also have a few of the only apple / peach orchards left in the state.

There is a local doctor in town, a library, a large motorcycle dealership, a Sonic, a Dairy Queen, a grocery store, and several other mom & pop businesses.

Aurora is 6 mi to the west of M'Ville & would give you some more chain stores. Republic is about 12 mi on the east & is a larger town with Lowe's, Walgreens, Taco Bell, Wal-Mart Super Center, etc. Springfield is 25 miles east of M'Ville & is where you'll find the amenities of city life (and half a dozen colleges/universities).

=========================
I currently live in Seymour Missouri, which is 25 miles east of Springfield (50 miles from Marionville). It's another small town. It doesn't have as much as Marionville, but it's a slightly bigger school & I find it to be a more "welcoming" place. The town square is active & hosts music every Tuesday night. Seymour is home to the award-winning county newspaper (webster county citizen). There is an active Merchants Association. There is a Subway and local grocery, but everything else is mom & pop. Seymour also has a YMCA and a Christian-based youth center. There are a lot of out of state people moving to Seymour, I have friends from Nevada, California, Oklahoma & Colorado. And Seymour also has an apple & peach orchard.

=========

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri