U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,882 times

Advertisements

My family is considering relocateing to the Springfield area very soon. We are curious about Marionville and would love a response from anyone who knows anything about it. We currently live in Colorado Springs and have been warned about himidity, bugs and tornados. Also though about rolling hills, gardens and beautiful fall colors. (Something we don't get much of here)
I am a little worried about the "culture shock" on my kids and I shamefully admit-tornados. If anyone who lives in Marionville or has been there sees this I would really appreciate your take on the town, it's people and what sort of things people in such small towns do. (Although I won't miss sirens, traffic congestion, smog, constant road construction, and the total lack of a clear night sky.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2006, 01:24 PM

694 posts, read 1,165,383 times
cherri

Marionville was struck again last night with a killer tornado. Media is reporting at least 1 man is dead there. It was hit pretty hard a couple of years back also. Tornadoes are a concern anywhere in southwest Missouri, but your chances of being hit are pretty slim.

That said, one of the couples they showed lost their house completely in both tornadoes....so the old saying lightning never strikes twice.... old wives tale.

Marionville is a quiet community between Republic and Monett. I drive thru it occasionally, but never have reason to get off the main road, so except for the apple orchards, I can't tell you much more.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,836 times
I'm thinking of moving to mo.

What do you think about Ava Mo .

How is it like in there right now.
Does it have same weather problems also.

I want to move somewhere close to Springfield.
maybe max 70 miles.
Where do you prefer.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:46 AM

Without knowing what you like I will try to answer. Ava is a nice small town off the beaten path. Ava still has that small town home feeling, and not a bedroom community for Springfield, like Ozark, Nixa and Republic have become. This is primarily due to its distance from Springfield - very few are willing to drive that far to work every day. (today gas is $2.29/gal here)

If you are willing to drive that far you might consider north of Springfield, like around Bolivar and Buffalo. North of Bolivar offers you 4 lane access to Springfield and has yet to see the growth spurt some of the towns south of Springfield have. Buffalo has 2 lane access to Springfield but as small towns go it is one of my favorite's. Beautiful country and peaceful.

I think your chances of being hit by a tornado are even about anywhere in the area, but there does seeem to be a belt that stretches from Joplin to Springfield and 15 miles south of this line, that has gotten its fair share since I was a kid. That isn't scientific - just personal observation.

For you all coming from a big city and looking for the night life... you wont find it any of these small towns. They literally roll up the sidewalks .. and except for a restaraunt or a Wal-Mart - you are going to be enjoying the sounds of nature - or your neighbor's dog, depending on where you live.

Southwest Missouri is a great place to retire, or get back to a slower way of living - a get back to nature kind of place. But if you are coming from the fast life, and like it that way.... this place will bore you to tears.

If you want to see the storm damage, the Springfield paper is the Springfield News-Leader - they have a lot of pictures posted today. Shouldn't let it scare you off though. I grew up in Ozark and live northwwest of Springfield now and I have seen one tornado in my entire life and it never touched the ground. And I have never lived any closer than 3 miles from a place that got hit - not bad for 40 plus years.

Now chiggers and skeeters - that's a different story

Old 03-14-2006, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 7,836 times
Are chiggers and skeeters that bad over there.

can you please explain more about them, as they are different in different parts of the nation.

Which do they like most and least rivers/creeks/ponds/lakes?
How to prevent them.

Also is Buffalo or Bolivar better? As far as community, shopping. Things to do.

Thanks

Old 03-14-2006, 01:23 PM

I doubt the mosquitos are any worse here than any other warm climate. Any standing water is a breeding ground for skeeters. Unless there are fish around to eat the larvae. From what I am told, Alaska has the skeeters that you have to watch out for. And when I lived in Florida, I thought they were just as bad (without the fire ants)

Chiggers are no trouble if you put on Skin-so-Soft. Same goes with ticks. Unless you plan on doing some wilderness hiking, neither of the latter two is a problem anyway.

Unless you can live in Wal-Mart, which many of the ladies in this area do - there is little shopping to be had in any of the small towns - you would have to go to Springfield, Joplin, Branson, and Lebanon. Unless flea markets are classified shopping.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:53 PM

137 posts, read 568,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave
I doubt the mosquitos are any worse here than any other warm climate. Any standing water is a breeding ground for skeeters. Unless there are fish around to eat the larvae. From what I am told, Alaska has the skeeters that you have to watch out for. And when I lived in Florida, I thought they were just as bad (without the fire ants)

Chiggers are no trouble if you put on Skin-so-Soft. Same goes with ticks. Unless you plan on doing some wilderness hiking, neither of the latter two is a problem anyway.

Unless you can live in Wal-Mart, which many of the ladies in this area do - there is little shopping to be had in any of the small towns - you would have to go to Springfield, Joplin, Branson, and Lebanon. Unless flea markets are classified shopping.
I am looking to buy a house on at least 50 acres. I am thinking a pond or river on the property would be nice, but would this make the bugs worse? How far away from the water would the worse bug condition exist?

Old 03-16-2006, 09:47 AM

Ponds and creeks arent usually big mosquito birthing area's, unless the water is dead and not moving and there are no frogs or fish around to eat the larvae.

Mosquitoes should not be a concern.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave
Ponds and creeks arent usually big mosquito birthing area's, unless the water is dead and not moving and there are no frogs or fish around to eat the larvae.

Mosquitoes should not be a concern.
Thanks Dave. Is there a lot of hunting in SW Mo? I am hoping to buy land with woods, but I don't want to be hearing gun shots from my home.

Old 03-16-2006, 03:37 PM

P.S. Some of the properties with acreage that I see in the listings say, "Good Hunting Retreat". This is the cause of my concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or