Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,917 times

Advertisements

Hello

Thank you for your time, my concerns are

-home schooling (some states are passing bills to make it illegal)

-The threat of the New Madrid fault line

-Anti-Militia laws (i am pro milita)
I believe in the new world order, there is too much evidence not to. They have been saying it on national TV for the last 50 yrs. The proof is there.

-Out here they are trying to shut down small farms. Are they doing any of that there? Having a small farm has been my dream since I was a little girl

-I know work is hard to come by, but I also know how to live on next to nothing and have been a penny pinching anti-materialist type for many years.
I do think there are some low paying health care jobs still out there...AM I right??

Other than that, to be honest I love everything about small town MO. I fell in love with it instantly, I have lived all over...moved 8 times in the last 12 years. I am a country girl, through and through.
My father passed away three years ago and one year prior he met his paternal mother. Well she has a house out there in Salem, and I knew I wanted her in my life the moment I knew her name. There's been a hole in my heart every day I haven't seen her loving face. I go down there to visit, but just thinking of seeing her weekly brings me to tears. When I look at her I just know she is where I should be. Thanks again for your time, I know it's precious and I appreciate it much. I have no real family left so this helps alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 04:05 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,058,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming.Ginger View Post
Hello

Thank you for your time, my concerns are

-home schooling (some states are passing bills to make it illegal)

-The threat of the New Madrid fault line

-Anti-Militia laws (i am pro milita)
I believe in the new world order, there is too much evidence not to. They have been saying it on national TV for the last 50 yrs. The proof is there.

-Out here they are trying to shut down small farms. Are they doing any of that there? Having a small farm has been my dream since I was a little girl

-I know work is hard to come by, but I also know how to live on next to nothing and have been a penny pinching anti-materialist type for many years.
I do think there are some low paying health care jobs still out there...AM I right??

Other than that, to be honest I love everything about small town MO. I fell in love with it instantly, I have lived all over...moved 8 times in the last 12 years. I am a country girl, through and through.
My father passed away three years ago and one year prior he met his paternal mother. Well she has a house out there in Salem, and I knew I wanted her in my life the moment I knew her name. There's been a hole in my heart every day I haven't seen her loving face. I go down there to visit, but just thinking of seeing her weekly brings me to tears. When I look at her I just know she is where I should be. Thanks again for your time, I know it's precious and I appreciate it much. I have no real family left so this helps alot.
First and foremost, welcome to the forum, and also (if your plans work out) to Missouri, especially to indeed a great area. I've lived and explored much in the Rolla/Salem areas, and do miss that region... good people and land.

To your questions / concerns...
1. Home schooling should not be any problem
2. When [not if] the New Madrid fault finally breaks free and rattles that area, and given the estimated release of energy, the "hit" in the Rolla/Salem area should be minimum... check out following as a start - there are many other threads about this topic w/in our forum, and pages on the net:
Missouri Earthquake Preparedness 2011
Facts about the New Madrid Seismic Zone - DNR
3. Anti-militia laws... ummmm, not sure what laws there may be, but in this area, a person should be relatively free to do just about anything [within reason of course] on their own land as they desire.
4. Small farms - nobody to my knowledge are shutting down small farms... they are going extinct more due to ppl not wanting to farm, developers buying out the land, etc. BTW, that area has a few pockets of good and even very good farm land, but as you may have seen is mainly filled with rocks and scrubs and rocks and oaks and rocks and other roughness.
5. Job opportunities indeed will be a challenge... but with perseverance and talent and luck [right place, right time] and desire, you have chance.

Good luck.

PS: add following links:
http://www.salemmo.com/ = note the reference to Dent County at top left on the banner
http://www.thesalemnewsonline.com/

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 03-17-2011 at 08:16 PM..

Old 03-17-2011, 04:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,917 times
Oh thank you for the reply! Yes, up here like in California they are literally shutting farms down...for selling raw milk...to people who want to buy raw milk. My grandma has 22 acres of which she uses half for hay so a small farm would hopefully be with her someday. You made my day by replying. Much thanks (^_^)

Old 03-17-2011, 07:05 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Another area you might consider, just to the north of the area in which you have indicated interest, is around Linn and Gerald Missouri (see E. of Jefferson City along Hwy 50). It is situated such that one could easily commute to work in Jeff City or even St. Louis (though a harder commute). There are areas back there that look as though Daniel Boone passed through the week before. Little homesteads cut out of the deep woods. Good access to streams and the Gasconade River for fishing and recreation.

Most of the anti-gun folks, legislatively speaking, are located in the major cities of Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbia, and Springfield; otherwise, Missouri is very firearms friendly. We have several ammunition/reloading manufacturers, at least three firearms manufacturers, and of course, Midway USA and the Potterfield family! Missouri has been a "shall issue" CCW state since 2004. The state NRA affiliate can be located here: http://missourisportshooting.org/

A recent article on raw milk sales in Missouri: http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-raw-milk-sales-find-a-niche-20110302,0,2820378.story (broken link)

To the best of my knowledge there are not "anti-militia" laws in Missouri. Missouri has a militia and they usually have a booth at the gun shows. Their website is here: http://www.missourimilitia.com/

Link to Missouri Homeschooling info: http://dese.mo.gov/schoollaw/HomeSch/

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 03-17-2011 at 07:36 PM..

Old 03-20-2011, 09:57 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,621 times
I'm not one to welcome anyone to Missouri, especially to Phelps or surrounding counties, but if somebody's got to move here, let it be someone with your philosophies, attitudes and beliefs. We need more like you to help us even out the Califoreigners who are moving in.

You'd especially like Salem. You'd do all right in Rolla, though. We have lots of homeschoolers, gun owners. There are some folks who fret about the New World Order, but most don't and laugh at those who do. I don't have an opinion; I just want to make sure I can keep my guns and keep the price of ammo at a reasonable level.

The New Madrid Fault line is the least of our worries. Tornadoes tear more stuff up than earthquakes.

All the rest of the stuff on your list: you'd like it here.

I forgot to add: If you want to work, you can work. The liberals claim there aren't enough jobs. Heck, I've got two of them. You can find a job at a nursing home today and start tomorrow. I did four years ago, and then found another job and left the nursing home job for someone else. I've lived in Missouri all my life and never been unemployed. It is a blessing to live here and trust in the Lord.

Last edited by ozarksboy; 03-20-2011 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: added job info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri