Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: St. Louis or KC?King of Missouri?
St. Louis 34 57.63%
Kansas City 25 42.37%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 06:50 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,227,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy View Post
Agreed. When I envision the CWE of St Louis and the County Club Plaza area of KC, there is simply no comparison. KC's Plaza area wins by a mile. Its beautiful down there, and they take a lot of pride in that area.

I think that overall KC folks take a bit more pride in their city than St Louisans do with theirs.
The Country Club Plaza is definitely spectacular. I was down there the other day and it always seems like they are opening new and different shops and restaurants. A few months ago we had a friend of the family from California visit the Plaza and she was very impressed with the restaurants, shopping, and overall atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 07:05 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,228,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
The Country Club Plaza is definitely spectacular. I was down there the other day and it always seems like they are opening new and different shops and restaurants. A few months ago we had a friend of the family from California visit the Plaza and she was very impressed with the restaurants, shopping, and overall atmosphere.
Is the country club plaza an outdoor shopping mall? Is it owned by a corporation, or is it a public area?

Old 07-29-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Is the country club plaza an outdoor shopping mall? Is it owned by a corporation, or is it a public area?
The country club plaza is an outdoor shopping mall and a popular nightlife area in the KC metro area. Their are many apartments that are right on top of the country club plaza. The overall style is a little bit Mediterannean with red tile roofs on the buildings, neat architecture, and unique street lights.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:45 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,507,635 times
Just to add to that, CCplaza is very upscale. You will find no McDonalds there. THe view at Christmas time is just breath taking. I have seen no Christmas display like it. THe only thing that comes close is the display at Silver Dollar City in Branson. The plaza is just one of a kind.

Quote:
The country club plaza is an outdoor shopping mall and a popular nightlife area in the KC metro area. Their are many apartments that are right on top of the country club plaza. The overall style is a little bit Mediterannean with red tile roofs on the buildings, neat architecture, and unique street lights.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:55 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,359,671 times
Wink St. Louis by a mile...

I'm partial to St. Louis, when I get a 'hankerin for a big city.

They both have the problems that go with being a big city.

(I'm not from here...have lived in SW MO for 13 years from No Cal...)

What I haven't seen mentioned here, and I've heard many people say is that St. Louis is more like an Eastern city...and Kansas City is more like a Western City. Whatever that means.

I've spent a couple of weekends in KC, been to a Chiefs game, flown out of that airport dozens of times.

I've spent a couple of weekends in St.Louis, flown out of the airport once.

And my preference is St. Louis. THEY HAVE TRADER JOE'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And Forest Park...with the MUNI...which I haven't seen the likes of many places. There's St. Charles nearby, with all the cool shopping and history...and don't miss St. Charles County with the wine country! And if you miss great BBQ...KC is just down the road.

In any event, I live in the Branson Area...(capital A, baby...it's the lake...)
and I love Missouri and prefer her to Colorado any day of the week. (Let me count the ways.....!)

And DON'T judge a city in a weekend...take a week.
You're gonna move there!
Spend a little time!
Loiter 'round the mall...

Jes' my opinion...worth what ya paid for it!

Old 07-29-2007, 09:33 PM

607 posts, read 2,973,307 times
these are small cities to be complete warfare. it's nothing like a good midwest fight, Detroit and Cleveland.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:29 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,339,575 times
Quote:
Yes, Missouri has wonderful forests throughout most of the central and southern portions of the state. In northern Missouri most of the trees are concentrated around rivers and low lying areas. Southern Missouri tends to have more reservoirs and the rugged hilly terrain of the Ozarks. In terms of culture most of Missouri has very strong southern influences even though the residents claim to be in the Midwest. The southern influences are fairly strong in many areas of state along with Ozark influences. The summer is very long and warm and the winter season is not long at all with varying amounts of snow depending on the year. Northern Missouri is definitely not the Upper Midwest at all and even as a little dixie area in some counties. The Upper Midwest has large pine forests, lakes, and tons of snow during the winter and northern Missouri definitely does not have those features.
I agree with this mostly...however the Southern influences in the state normally do not overpower the Midwestern ones. The areas of the state in which the Southern influences are the dominant ones would have to be in the Mississippi Delta region of Southeast Missouri and perhaps in Southwest Missouri as well...although Southwest Missouri really seemed more of a hodgepodge of Ozark, the South, and the Great Plains and did have a slight touch of the Midwest. In any case, Missouri is culturally different in regions of the state. The parts that are that at the latitudes of where Missouri borders Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas, and Oklahoma are definitely more Southern than Midwestern. Missouri bordering on KAnsas has a slightly similar Great Plains feel in addition to where it touches Nebraska. Northern Missouri has a lot in common with Southern Iowa, and most of downstate Illinois (Below I-80 ) is what Eastern Missouri above the Ohio River is like, at least culturally...below Highway 50 begins the transition between Midwest and South. Below Highway 60, Missouri is unquestionably Southern. So basically, you have a variety of areas to choose in Missouri that are not identical to each other...which makes Missouri a geat state IMO. The Northern half of Missouri is unquestionably Midwestern. Most of Southern Missouri above the Ohio River is both Midwestern and Southern. in any case...i know some might disagree, but I think that's about as close to the truth as it gets....hope you enjoy the Show-Me-State Vegaspilgrim!

Old 07-30-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I agree with this mostly...however the Southern influences in the state normally do not overpower the Midwestern ones. The areas of the state in which the Southern influences are the dominant ones would have to be in the Mississippi Delta region of Southeast Missouri and perhaps in Southwest Missouri as well...although Southwest Missouri really seemed more of a hodgepodge of Ozark, the South, and the Great Plains and did have a slight touch of the Midwest. In any case, Missouri is culturally different in regions of the state. The parts that are that at the latitudes of where Missouri borders Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas, and Oklahoma are definitely more Southern than Midwestern. Missouri bordering on KAnsas has a slightly similar Great Plains feel in addition to where it touches Nebraska. Northern Missouri has a lot in common with Southern Iowa, and most of downstate Illinois (Below I-80 ) is what Eastern Missouri above the Ohio River is like, at least culturally...below Highway 50 begins the transition between Midwest and South. Below Highway 60, Missouri is unquestionably Southern. So basically, you have a variety of areas to choose in Missouri that are not identical to each other...which makes Missouri a geat state IMO. The Northern half of Missouri is unquestionably Midwestern. Most of Southern Missouri above the Ohio River is both Midwestern and Southern. in any case...i know some might disagree, but I think that's about as close to the truth as it gets....hope you enjoy the Show-Me-State Vegaspilgrim!
Yes, northern Missouri north of I-70 is generally fairly Midwest although southern influences definitely do exist there. Northern Missouri does have less in the way of trees than southern Missouri because more of the land is farmed and tends to be flatter overall. The coolest area in Missouri in terms of climate is probably northeast Missouri around the Kirksville area. That area of Missouri is slightly cooler in the summer compared with the rest of the state and is one of the colder areas in the winter. South of I-70 the Ozark influences begin, especially south of KC and south of Sedalia. Then as you keep going further south the southern influences and the Ozark culture become much more prevalant as you referenced. I have already talked about economic development in other posts but rural Missouri continues to lag far behind the Midwest core in terms of rural economic development. This is partly the reason why many of the rural counties in Missouri have very little in-migration and very little diversity.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:08 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,228,163 times
Do you know of any travel guides or books about Missouri you would recommend reading?

Old 07-30-2007, 08:04 AM

187 posts, read 1,020,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I like what I'm hearing! Missouri sounds like a great place to explore. It sounds more varied and interesting than Kansas or Nebraska (the states everybody from CO makes fun of when they think of "out east"). It's just that everyone thinks I'm crazy for considering relocating to the midwest-- just trying to make sure I'm still partially sane.

Here's some more questions: Which city in Missouri is the most culturally diverse? And how do you pronounce "Missouri"-- I've heard some people say "MissourAH"-- is that how the locals say it?
Another thing that Missouri has is a lot of caves, particularly in the southern 2/3rds of the state.

And trust me, Missouri is nothing like Kansas or Nebraska. Not even close.

The most culturally diverse city is probably St Louis, with KC close behind. St Louis has more blacks, KC has more hispanics. St Louis also seems to get more immigrants from other countries, while KC gets more of its influx from people of other areas of the US.

People say it both ways. Those who are more southern or country probably say "Missourah", while most others say "Missouri"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri