Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,231 times

Advertisements

Anybody here read any of his novels? He lives in West Plains and the last time I saw him, he looked more than a little scruffy-- but he's got serious writer cred, including a bunch of awards that came after his MFA from the Iowa Writers Workshop (like Raymond Carver, Flannery O'Connor, John Irving, and James Crumley). Despite all that high-falutin stuff, he's a great read. All of his later work is set in the Missouri Ozarks, so if you know the area, it should sound like home-- both the good and the bad of that.

His most current novel, Winter's Bone, has been out in paperback for several months. Anyway, here's his Wikipedia entry. Pleasse chime in if you've read his stuff...and your assignment, if you haven't yet, is to go do it, then have your 500-word book report on my virtual desk by, say, March 1.

But you notice I didn't say which year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 06:49 AM

774 posts, read 1,418,759 times
I haven't read his work. I will check it out though. And the book report................. we'll wait and see....

Old 02-13-2008, 10:16 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Sounds interesting. I will have to give that a look. I love books that are set in an area I know and love. There was a book some years back called Enemy Women that took place in much of Missouri during the Civil War... I can't remember the writer's name.... I refuse to look it up... It will come to me...

... still thinking ...

ooh! Paulette Jiles was her name. I impressed myself with that one!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:11 PM

380 posts, read 963,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
His most current novel, Winter's Bone, has been out in paperback for several months. Anyway, here's his Wikipedia entry. Pleasse chime in if you've read his stuff...and your assignment, if you haven't yet, is to go do it, then have your 500-word book report on my virtual desk by, say, March 1.

But you notice I didn't say which year.
Winter's Bone has been adapted for film and is currently in post-production with a scheduled 2010 release date. It was filmed in Forsyth, Missouri and stars Jennifer Lawrence as Ree.

Can we watch the movie and then write the book report?

Old 08-31-2009, 09:04 PM
HDM

41 posts, read 111,256 times
Tried to read him when I found out that he lived in my home town but was unimpressed. "Serious writer cred" generally seems to carry about as much weight as a recommendation by a movie critic.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:27 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,886 times
Looked a little scruffy? And you think what - he should dress in black tie and tails everyday?

There are many writers from Misouri and most are just down home folks, not fancy.

Here's a link to a Wikipedia about a writer in my area:

Lee Ann Sontheimer Murphy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-04-2009, 11:56 PM

380 posts, read 963,447 times
One of my favorite Missouri writers is Mitch Jayne. He and his wife live in Emminence. "Fiddler's Ghost" received the Gold Medal Award for the Best Mid-west Regional Fiction from the Independent Publishers Association. And I love the tales he shares in "Home Grown Stories and Home Fried Lies."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
View detailed profiles of: