Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:25 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

I think everyone is at their wits end.....my husband turns the TV off anytime the flood coverage comes on and I'm in the room, and we're in Florida.
Guess he thinks I am gonna go live in my car again and sandbag the way I did during the Flood of 93, but I had to go home to help save my hometown, you know?
I believe I read that the levee will be restored, but the farmers are not automatically going to get funds beyond their crop insurance, from the way I understood what I have read.
I hope we are not going to have another Katrina-type kerfluffle with funding after the flood is over.
That is what I fear more than anything, those farmers dont deserve that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 08:33 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I think everyone is at their wits end.....my husband turns the TV off anytime the flood coverage comes on and I'm in the room, and we're in Florida.
Guess he thinks I am gonna go live in my car again and sandbag the way I did during the Flood of 93, but I had to go home to help save my hometown, you know?
I believe I read that the levee will be restored, but the farmers are not automatically going to get funds beyond their crop insurance, from the way I understood what I have read.
I hope we are not going to have another Katrina-type kerfluffle with funding after the flood is over.
That is what I fear more than anything, those farmers dont deserve that.

The government is involved. It will automatically be full of red tape and frustration. I bet you a dollar that they will roll in FEMA trailers for them to live in, with formaldehyde-emitting glue.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
The government is involved. It will automatically be full of red tape and frustration. I bet you a dollar that they will roll in FEMA trailers for them to live in, with formaldehyde-emitting glue.
I woudnt take that bet for all the money in the world!
That thought had occurred to me, also.
What I wanna know is did the farmers get all their equipment, etc, out of harms way?
I can think of at least 3 farms that are really nice operations that are in the Floodway, cant imagine that they got all that stuff out in time.
If not, what happens to the loans on that equipment?

Old 05-05-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I woudnt take that bet for all the money in the world!
That thought had occurred to me, also.
What I wanna know is did the farmers get all their equipment, etc, out of harms way?
I can think of at least 3 farms that are really nice operations that are in the Floodway, cant imagine that they got all that stuff out in time.
If not, what happens to the loans on that equipment?
They did have a fair amount of warning time, but I am not sure they everything got out. I am afraid they will not get compensated fully due to that deed clause.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
They did have a fair amount of warning time, but I am not sure they everything got out. I am afraid they will not get compensated fully due to that deed clause.
You and me both.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:01 PM

I will be curious to know what happens if they don't shore up the levee, will it continue to flow into the floodway? I am also guessing that this will all cost well over $100 mill...for damages, repairs, etc.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I will be curious to know what happens if they don't shore up the levee, will it continue to flow into the floodway? I am also guessing that this will all cost well over $100 mill...for damages, repairs, etc.
I would imagine the river would go back to its normal channel, it would be an unmitigated disaster if it did the same thing when it jumped channels at Kaskaskia in 1881.
Can you imagine?????
When all is said and done, I bet it tops 100 million by quite a bit!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:15 PM

What I hate is when the state governor's declare a disaster area, the president then declares it, which means the federal government will help pay for the cleanup, but when it comes to the individual...well they get...zip! For the individual to get help, it will have to be reviewed and it will take months to over a year or more to be decided. What does the individual do until then? You know most people don't have flood insurance. Even if they can get it, it's damn expensive. This whole area will soon be seeing long term, newly homeless.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:12 AM

Interesting article;
seMissourian.com: Local News: Floodway long a source of legal contention (05/05/11)

Old 05-06-2011, 01:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Very interesting. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri