Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:06 PM

37 posts, read 134,396 times

Advertisements

Mountain Grove possible bad water...Just ran across this in the Springfield News K3Y: KY3 - News - Family takes issue with quality of town's drinking water (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 09:37 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Here is a web site that purports to have info on drinking water, here in MO: EWG Investigation | U.S. Tap Water Quality Database

The town in question in this article, Mtn Grove is: EWG Investigation | U.S. Tap Water Quality Database

For comparison, here is StL [which recently won best tap in the country]: EWG Investigation | U.S. Tap Water Quality Database

Another comparison, this being Springfield, lovely little burb in the Ozarks: EWG Investigation | U.S. Tap Water Quality Database

I highly recommend reading the following at this site, to have better info about this data:
EWG Investigation | U.S. Tap Water Quality Database
EWG Investigation | U.S. Tap Water Quality Database [kinda lengthy... ]

This info was compiled and then displayed by this group: About the Environmental Working Group | Environmental Working Group

Here is EPA's info, esp. on MO: EPA > Local Drinking Water Information > Missouri Drinking Water which unfortunately, does not seem to have MO info available...

Missouri's PSC and the DNR sites are somewhat helpful: The Missouri Public Service Commission (broken link)
Water Protection Program, Drinking Water Branch - MoDNR (broken link)
With then a lot of semi-not-so-easy-to-acquire data here: Drinking Water Watch - MoDNR (broken link)

FWIW, I found the story to be poorly written, w/ many chances within it to mislead and/or misinterpret what may have been implied by the various people quoted... hate having that kind of feeling about an article, esp. when health related issues are being discussed...

Old 08-03-2007, 03:36 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
Amazing that Missouri has bad water...considering St. Louis has some of the best drinking water in the nation....I've never had a problem with the water in Missouri.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:56 PM

37 posts, read 134,396 times
Thanks very much, Shadowcaver. I will check into the links you provided. Your comment about the story I agree with also. Later that day, I read it again, and realize that there may be a great deal to the story that is untold thus far. Maybe never will be told. CA water is not good either, and something we all work on to try to find solutions. Again, thank you!

Old 08-03-2007, 07:53 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
On my Grandpa's farm in Broseley (outside Poplar Bluff) the water smelled of Hydrogen Sulfide (rotten Egg smell) It diidn't bother them. but this city boy hated it...
I sure they have filters nowadays for the H2S....

Old 08-03-2007, 10:23 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
On my Grandpa's farm in Broseley (outside Poplar Bluff) the water smelled of Hydrogen Sulfide (rotten Egg smell) It diidn't bother them. but this city boy hated it...
Yea, that can happen due to few reasons,,,
- bacteria in the well water
- [Magnesium anode] elements going out in the water heater
- Sulphur-reducing bacteria
- Hydrogen Sulphide gas in the water itself

Check the following refs out; I've had to shock my well here in IN, as the well had sat idle for some time before moved into it...
Hydrogen Sulfide, Rotten Egg Odor, Sulfur, Rotten Egg Odor in Water
Why Does My Water Smell Like Rotten Eggs

Added: more detailed listing of other additional potential problems...
Treatment Systems for Household Water Supplies -- Identification and Correction of Water Problems (http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/h2oqual/watsys/ae1045w.htm - broken link)

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 08-03-2007 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: Ummm,,, cause I wanted to!!! :p

Old 08-03-2007, 10:37 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
yep we had the same problem. We are on a shared well with two other families that have gotten used to the smell and they had no interest in shocking the well. Welp my two lil city gals were in tears comin' out of the shower so something had to be done. I am now the proud owner of an expensive "poop smell removing" filter system that works like a champ. The nice thing is the guys that put it in are right up the road and very good folks to work with.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,438 times
Default I live here now.

I returned home after seven years of being in the army to Springfield, MO to slow down and enjoy my medical retirement. I started drinking Springfield's tap water with the understanding that it takes a while to get accustomed to a city's water. I drank it for a year and after that year I began to have health issues. I was suffering with severe abdominal pain and could barely pull my self out of bed. A friend suggested I switch to bottled water, after doing that, the pain subsided and I regained my former vigor. There is something wrong with the water here. I have drank tap water all over the country and have never been this negatively effected. DO NOT DRINK THE TAP WATER IN SPRINGFIELD, MO!!!

Old 10-25-2013, 03:34 PM

978 posts, read 2,052,789 times
I find the water in Columbia to be very hard. Does anyone else suffer from hard water.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:44 PM

582 posts, read 778,853 times
Most of the towns that are away from the rivers get their drinking water from wells. In this area that well water runs through limestone rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri