Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 10:15 PM

83 posts, read 850,348 times

Advertisements

So I just found out that my Grandfather (who died when my mom was a kid) was from the Ozarks. He moved to CA, where I'm from, when he was a teenager. I was curious what is culture like in the Ozarks. Is it different than anywhere else in MO or in the country?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 11:33 PM

543 posts, read 855,352 times
Well the AR, OK, MO Ozarks culture is a bit different. It is a southern culture with flavors of Midwest in them. I think of the Ozarks very similar to the cultures of the smokey mountains like around Chattanooga, North Georgia, nothern Alabama, North Carolia, and West Virginia. It's not the same kind of culture like you see in parts of Cape Girardeau, Sikeston, Kennett, Poplar Bluff, or Hayti MO. Those towns are Delta kind of south and 100 percent southern where cotton is king.

In Missouri I'd say two counties closest to the AR border in the Ozarks will be me southern in nature than lets say by lake of the ozarks.

I don't see a difference in Norther Arkansas ozarks compared to the ozark areas in MO just north of hwy 60 and south of it.

During the civil war the counties in southern MO near the AR border were very pro confederate such as Oregon, Ripley counties. Neosho in the Ozarks is where our voter elected lawmakers seceeded us out of the union.

Even towns a bit further north like Waynseville have a strong southern element. My dad was station at Ft Leonard Wood in the 60s and said how it was all redneck in Waynseville.

Overall I would consider the Ozarks a mountain kind of southern culture vs true delta southern culture of southeast MO.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:41 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,912 times
If you want to learn a little about the Ozarks that existed during your grandpa's youth check out Mitch Jayne's book. Home Grown Stories & Home Fried Lies

Mitch was one of the Dillards (aka Darlings) and a great wordsmith.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:21 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Series of articles can be found here: Springfield Cultureal Heritage Examiner - Social Issues | Examiner.com

Welcome to the Ozark Natural and Cultural Resource Center

http://www.wparts.org/oht/

Southwest Missouri State University has a center for Ozark studies. You may find some online information from that program. Ozarks Studies Institute - Missouri State University

Check out the following movies and documentaries:

Women of old-time music (2003 documentary): Tradition and Change in the Missouri Ozarks
Fire on the Mountain (2007 TV movie): Baldknobbers as heros or villians of the Ozarks frontier
Ozarks: Legacy & Legend
Shepherd of the Hills (1941): with a John Wayne, Betty Field, Harry Carey
Winter's Bone (2010)
Bloody Mama (1970): with Bruce Dern, Robert De Niro, Pat Hingle, Scatman Crouthers, Shelly Winters

Old 05-10-2011, 05:00 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Another excellent source is a wee bit dated but not much and still highly accurate and informative. It's also descriptive of the Ozarks.

A Living History of the Ozarks - Google Books

Old 05-11-2011, 11:06 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,852 times
Things in alot of the Ozarks haven't changed in years still very Clannish and Racist.I moved away for 20 years after I went into the Service.No sooner moved back and woman at the Local Store told me I wouldn't have any trouble out of anyone around here because I had Family here and know how things are done.

brushrunner

Old 05-16-2011, 07:03 AM

3 posts, read 7,204 times
Default Ozarks

Let me start off by saying I was born and raised in Kennett which is about as flat as you can get. It is more like a southern culture where cotton and watermelons are raised. They have a sorta southern accent when compared to St. Louis. One way you can separate southern people from northern is the way they ask for a soda. People from up North say "pop" while around Kennett they say "sodie" or maybe a "sodie pop". Father South they say "cold drink" or "soft drink". It's a dead give away.
I lived in St. Louis about 20 years but never really liked it all that much. I was also in the Navy for 8 years so I got to see a lot of the world.

Now I live in the Missouri Ozarks near Van Buren. This area is no where near as "hillbilly" as it used to be. About 40 years ago most people around here burned wood for heat. Now that has changed. The lumber industry is still the main source of income. There are several sawmills close to me and also a couple of planing mills that make hardwood flooring. It is beautiful country with the Current River and Clearwater Lake close to me. The tourists come for the water sports and camping. Big Spring state park boasts the largest spring in the USA and has camping.
US highway 60 runs E&W through the Ozarks to Springfield. It is now divided all the way. I would recommend the area as a good place to retire. The taxes are low and property is still fairly cheap.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:27 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,249 times
Up "North" parts that say pop, as opposed to soda means places like Ohio and not St. Louis. I was raised in the St. Louis area and I never heard anyone call soda "pop", unless they were from more northern states.

BTW, there are many who might like being in a "hillbilly" area, as opposed to being around the big city stuff and people. Hillbillies are not bad people, nor are they stupid or any other thing that so many think they are. They live closer to the earth than the concrets city folks and this stuff of constantly putting others down because of the way they live is really childish.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:44 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
Up "North" parts that say pop, as opposed to soda means places like Ohio and not St. Louis. I was raised in the St. Louis area and I never heard anyone call soda "pop", unless they were from more northern states.

BTW, there are many who might like being in a "hillbilly" area, as opposed to being around the big city stuff and people. Hillbillies are not bad people, nor are they stupid or any other thing that so many think they are. They live closer to the earth than the concrets city folks and this stuff of constantly putting others down because of the way they live is really childish.
Yelp got a Daughter that is good about putting us down the way we live and talk but she also is one to say its backwards for people to work with their Hands anymore

Funny I was up North at a Fancy Hotel going up the Elevator I was talking to folks I said You'uns Lady in there says your from Southern Missouri?

Girls in NYC use to like talking with me,they considered me Southern.Knew a Girl in England always liked showing off her Hillbilly Friend

brushrunner

Old 05-16-2011, 10:33 AM

543 posts, read 855,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post

True. I live in St. Louis and never hear anyone call it "pop." It's either sodie, or soda. Well take that back there is someone at my work who calls it pop, but they are from Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri