Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 02:12 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,796,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Thank you. I haven't been able to reach him since the tornado hit. I hope he is just without service. I appreciate your reply.
Check with the Red Cross at their safe & well registry:

https://safeandwell.communityos.org/...esearch/search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 03:58 PM

694 posts, read 1,349,415 times
Every house a family, every family a story, each story with many chapters.

Satellite images of Joplin, Mo., before and after the tornado - latimes.com

Looking at this before and after, you wonder how anyone could have survived.

And while the severe storms have moved north and east for the most part today, I can not remember having ever seen so many tornado warnings at one time - for so long this afternoon.

I hope it is just because the Weather Service is as jumpy as the rest of us and they are playing it a little extra safe today. After the deaths yesterday in Kansas, Oklahoma and Arkansas, these monsters need to leave the country alone for awhile.

The US needs some healing time from the flooding, the fires, and all the tornadoes. And hurricane season is right around the corner.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:07 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,551,436 times
I heard on the news that 75 percent of the city of 50,000 has been obliterated. Have you heard that same figure?

My nephew's wife delivered a healthy baby boy in Freeman Hospital, Joplin, Tuesday night. They're all fine and their home escaped damage.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:50 PM

34 posts, read 103,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
I heard on the news that 75 percent of the city of 50,000 has been obliterated. Have you heard that same figure?

My nephew's wife delivered a healthy baby boy in Freeman Hospital, Joplin, Tuesday night. They're all fine and their home escaped damage.

Another news source corrected that to 30%. My cousin thought it looked like roughly half. Not sure. I don't know if they're going by populated area or land area.

Those satellite photos... Joplin went from looking like the Ozarks to looking like the Kansas prairie!

Old 05-25-2011, 06:34 PM

327 posts, read 964,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
Every house a family, every family a story, each story with many chapters.

Satellite images of Joplin, Mo., before and after the tornado - latimes.com

Looking at this before and after, you wonder how anyone could have survived.

And while the severe storms have moved north and east for the most part today, I can not remember having ever seen so many tornado warnings at one time - for so long this afternoon.

I hope it is just because the Weather Service is as jumpy as the rest of us and they are playing it a little extra safe today. After the deaths yesterday in Kansas, Oklahoma and Arkansas, these monsters need to leave the country alone for awhile.

The US needs some healing time from the flooding, the fires, and all the tornadoes. And hurricane season is right around the corner.
Overhead Bin - Summer hurricane season could be a doozy (http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/05/25/6716684-summer-hurricane-season-could-be-a-doozy - broken link)

Old 05-25-2011, 09:27 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,849,719 times
tornado near Ellsinore tonight, anyone heard from STLBluesCards?
She lives in that area, hope she and her family are alright!

Old 05-25-2011, 10:07 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,838,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Trying to track down my cousin from Joplin. Do you know if there is a list somewhere of people who were rescued or found? Thanks
By the way I hope everyone is hanging in there!
If you use facebook type in and like...

joplin, mo tornado recovery

They have info on there for the pages to find people

I hope you find your cousin!

OH and the cell reception has sometimes been an issue but we've had better luck getting through sometimes texting.

Last edited by misplaced1; 05-25-2011 at 10:32 PM..

Old 05-25-2011, 10:33 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,838,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
tornado near Ellsinore tonight, anyone heard from STLBluesCards?
She lives in that area, hope she and her family are alright!
I hope so too. Bad weather today all over. Everyone needs a break.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:48 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,796,800 times
Unhappy You always hope and pray for a miracle....not this time

The body of the missing infant torn from the arms of his family during the tornado has been found/identified.

Relatives say body of toddler Skyular Logsdon found - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/25/2904023/remains-of-missing-baby-skyular.html - broken link)

Quote:
In a city full of tragic stories, the search for Skyular, who was torn from his mother’s arms by the storm, attracted national attention. His relatives spent days checking hospitals, shelters and a temporary morgue at Missouri Southern State University.

The little boy’s great-uncle, Frankie Reynolds, made the identification, said Ronda Brewer, the stepmother of the child’s uncle. Skyular’s remains were at a morgue that his family hadn’t previously checked, she said

Old 05-25-2011, 11:15 PM

866 posts, read 1,555,763 times
Incredible story here:

ksl.com - Group rides out Joplin tornado inside LDS church building

One of those people is a family friend. Seeing what happened there, it's amazing that so many people survived, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri