Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:24 PM

11 posts, read 25,412 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, the cottonmouths in trees is true - if you're in the water. I remember fishing with my dad when I was a small girl - and he advised me of the same thing. My dad didn't make up stuff - or joke - about water moccasins. They also get pretty p****y about boats in "their water" and will try to enter your boat if you're not aware

Am thinking this all over. Trying to figure out what I can handle and what I can't.

My b/f hikes all over the place down there in the wildest areas man probably hasn't crossed in ages. He's made me aware of a lot of the creatures. He has indeed encountered p.o.'d cotton mouths -- and a cotton mouth that wasn't too interested in him as long as he didn't proceed further. He's also retired military and can handle any sort of thing nature wants to dish out. He lives there and knows the place like the back of his hand.

He's fine with it all. I'm the delicate one.

Isn't it funny though - that although there are wild hogs, and possible cougars which seem to be snatching pets, and whatever else is big and wild in the woods - I feel I can keep myself sensibly safe from those. However, it is these tiny creatures that you can't always see or detect which upset my apple cart.

Hmm. Must think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 03:02 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
We have chickens and turkeys in our yard and I don't believe guineas could do any better with eating bugs and ticks.

I've lived in rural MO for a few years now. I hadn't had much of a problem with ticks and none at all with chiggers and poison ivy until we moved last year. This new place has some lovely flower beds that had grown over, and last year I got my share of chigger bites ripping up an overgrown bed. Same with the poison ivy. I have a small spot of poison ivy again this year, right now... apparently I have some growing in one of my flower beds and I didn't notice. >

Because of my poison ivy, I was just reading up on this subject yesterday.
Missouri's Most Irritating Plant | MDC
Apparently poison sumac does not grow in MO, and poison oak is uncommon, only occurs in a handful of counties (Douglas, Mississippi, Ozark, Scott, Shannon, and Taney).

I don't think the snakes, wasps, spiders, etc. are a big deal. If you keep your lawn cut, your house clean and swept, and don't go traipsing through the forest or fields with high grass, you will be just fine. If you are looking to buy, and you buy something that is overgrown, you will probably have to deal with this stuff until you get things cleaned up a bit.

Welcome to MO!

Old 06-05-2011, 04:21 PM

Thank you, Christina. That's very kind of you! Sorry you're a bit itchy right now.

Oh! My bad - I don't know why I said poison sumac when I meant to say virginia creeper. They're growing up the trees and through the brush in the front yard of my friend's places. I've dreamed of hiring a herd of meat goats to come and eat it all. (We get poison ivy, virginia creeper and sumac where I live now - I guess I started mixing and matching our weeds.) My friend said he had poison oak - so now I'm confused about what that was.

Thanks for that link, I'll be sure to read it.

I'm soooo glad to hear your chickens and turkeys do such a bang up job. Great critters to have around for so many reasons.

The places my friends have are very overgrown. I guess that's making a big help to the snakes and other creatures. That seems to be a big key to what I experienced when I was there.

Thanks again, Christina. I'll keep thinking it all through.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:17 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
My advice about snakes, chiggers, fleas, ticks, poison ivy, etc.: stay away frum 'em!

Old 06-05-2011, 09:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My advice about snakes, chiggers, fleas, ticks, poison ivy, etc.: stay away frum 'em!
Pearls of wisdom.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That might just be the idea.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:31 AM

38 posts, read 138,871 times
Something you might try if going hiking or hunting in brush or tree'd areas is flea and tick collars around your wrists and ankles. I remember sending them to my family in Iraq in care packages.

For poison ivy look around and find Jewelweed soap. Jewelweed is a weed that's similar to a cure that actually grows near poison ivy. I used to find it at the Amish stores and natural/whole foods stores.

A few ladys I worked with always wanted hedgeballs from our hedge trees. They placed them in crawl spaces, attics, dark areas away from people too keep away spiders. Not sure if it actually works but they always asked for them every year.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:05 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Are you serious? Cottonmouths in trees? I've been too busing looking down to keep an eye out for rattlers & copperheads in the woods, now I have to worry about cottonmouths springing to attack from trees? I usually don't worry about running into them unless I am near a water source.

Are you pulling our leg or serious?

I have to stick with the DEET products. There is nothing about Skin So Soft that smells remotely good to me. Infact, it is worse than being attacked by the cosmetic gals with pewfumes at the department store, IMO. YMMV.

Pretty funny commentary on the Guinea fowl Dave. I'd never heard of anyone disliking them. I have heard that they are more dependable on warning of strangers approaching than the best yappy watch dog. I have heard that keeping them alive can be a challenge as they aren't supposed to be the brightest birds .....more like the 10 watt CFL.
Mogal, I cant count how many times I've floated the Current and Jacks Fork and seen cottonmouths hanging in the trees over the water.....we learned early to stay away from those overhanging trees.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:04 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Mogal, I cant count how many times I've floated the Current and Jacks Fork and seen cottonmouths hanging in the trees over the water.....we learned early to stay away from those overhanging trees.
As long as I don't have to watch for them hanging out of trees when I am in the woods.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:43 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
As long as I don't have to watch for them hanging out of trees when I am in the woods.
LOL!
When I was a girl, we had a summer house in Greenville, part of the morning routine was to go play tennis while it was still cool.
Mom would pass out razor sharp hoes that she kept in an umbrella stand by the front door, with admonitions to chop the heads off of any snakes we encountered.
There would always be at least one snake on the asphalt of the tennis court.......they didnt live long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri