Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:29 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,341,809 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what exactly you are doing ..are you moving a whole house across states? ... man I want to see this .. your post intrigue me .. lol and your stories give me a good laugh and really draw me in!!

I tell the hubby about you and your adventures and I get him cracking up ....... probably because I dont know what things are called but hey he should be able to read my mind after 20 years right?

I dont get a 5th wheel ?? (No no blond here just some serious gray stuff starting to shoot out from nowhere)

so what is it you all are doing ........ I feel for your wife .. for a moment I felt like you are building a place like something from a disney movie - hey am not nocking ya just wondering ... to each his own ..

I cant wait to see your work in progress .........it will be as exciting as your stories I am sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 12:45 PM

354 posts, read 325,212 times
I believe that he is talking about an RV of some kind. If I am not mistaken he mentioned a fifth wheel, but I might not be remembering right about that. We used to RV full time until hubby and I got sick and could no longer handle it physically.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:37 PM

thanks ..that would make since .......

DO you remember the movie where the guy makes a house out of wood that he cut down .. Grizzly Adams ?? LOL every time I read his post that imagine of that man comes across to me.......then I seen indys pic and i thought omg its his twin!

Old 08-07-2007, 01:47 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,636,342 times
actually he IS moving his house here to MO! I believe the fifth wheel he speaks of is the rig his log home is gonna be moved on....

Old 08-07-2007, 01:55 PM

137 posts, read 610,370 times
Well congrats! ya got me cracking up! I feel a little awed ya gots a whole thread with me as the title! I'm not sure I rate a whole thread but I will explain. Oh yeah, You can pm me anytime!

OK, A fifth wheel is a common name for a travel trailer that has a hitch that is called a "fifth wheel hitch". It is called this because it acts as a weight bearing type of connection much more that a "bumper hitch". A fifth wheel is the type of hitch that all semi tractors use. In an RV sense it is a hookup that is in the middle of the truck box over the axle as opposed to hooked at the very back of the truck near the bumper. We do have a "fifth wheel" RV that is in Missouri now and we have been living in that since we brought it to Mo. It is quite common in counties where there are no zoning laws and building codes for a family to live in an RV while they are building a home. Or they may just live in an RV permanently if it suits them. For some folks it is all they need. Unfortunately laws that are supposed to create safer uniform building "code" as well as "zoning" laws that prohibit what a person can do on their own land often limit what a person can accomplish on a lesser budget. These laws in fact make it illegal for a person to live in an RV on land they own and pay taxes on. This refers to what I call being "free" in Missouri. In my county I can do as I please, for those not in Missouri I must tell you that is not the case statewide.

Back to the "house", We are moving what is called a "park model home" to Missouri. It is in fact still an RV in many ways but it differs from an RV. It has no holding tanks for potable water or grey and black water. It must be hooked up to a water supply and waste water hookups. It is also not towable just anywhere because it is over legal width for common transport on all roads. The park model we have is 12 ft. wide and 34 ft. long. It has log siding on it making it resemble a small log cabin. There is a pic of it on the "adventures in Missouri, the move" thread. It is considered an "oversize load" and must be moved with permits for every state we travel through. I hope this clears up any confusion!

Ok while I wuz two finger typin da jammer got a pic in, if you look reeeeeeally hard you can see that there are three axles under that cabin, it is just a fancy little baby mobile home. They use em in camp grounds and folks keep them year round at lake lots an such. We bought it at auction for about half of what new would have cost

Last edited by Indy4570; 08-07-2007 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-07-2007, 02:02 PM

ok so is it a mobile home ..like a trailer ????

gosh am fascinated with your travel right now.. I could read your post on your move over and over ......it rates right up there with Cave .. his job is soo neat!

So are ya or were u a truck driver? gosh I feel really nosy now ... give me an inch i'll take a mile.......... hubby says something similar like give me $5 and I take$50 lol

Old 08-07-2007, 02:11 PM

I used to deliver RVs all over the country for a spell but never drove a big rig, may do it someday, I love to drive "over the road".

We have built a small barn on the prop but we only have pics in Mo on a laptop.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:13 PM

We actually had to hire a crane to move the "cabin", some day I will post pics of that day! life can be an adventure if your brave enough to tackle anything! Here is what it looked like where it was at. We got the deck and a central air unit with it and it was furnished too!

Last edited by Indy4570; 08-07-2007 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 08-07-2007, 02:21 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,636,342 times
oooppps sorry Indy!! I had thought you were bizzzy with stuff that's why I stuffed my big nose in here on your thread. Very, very cool set up you and your sweetie have there!

Old 08-07-2007, 02:29 PM

Don't be sorry at all! you added to the thread and improved it! many thanks! you can see by the pic you placed that it is cleaner! we powerwashed it a while ago but had no time to treat the wood and it had mildew again se we washed it today, two sides anyway.

OK I had to share a pic of the crane day

Last edited by Indy4570; 08-07-2007 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri