Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 06:17 PM

350 posts, read 411,622 times

Advertisements

Any help that you could provide would be appreciated.

I read somewhere that about 80 trains a day go through LaPlata, MO.

Anyone know how I could confirm this? It just seems outrageously high as if you could never cross the train tracks because the trains were always coming.

Thanks !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 09:47 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,818,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo99 View Post
Any help that you could provide would be appreciated.

I read somewhere that about 80 trains a day go through LaPlata, MO.

Anyone know how I could confirm this? It just seems outrageously high as if you could never cross the train tracks because the trains were always coming.

Thanks !!!
All you have to do is go to Google maps to see that the tracks run north of town and under the highway.
You posts indicate that you are in, or will be in Florida, why would you be interested in moving to a hamlet like LaPlata?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:24 PM

Trains are an issue if you are thinking of moving to a location. The sound of a train whistle carries more that 5 miles. If you in fact have 80 trains a day going through the town you’d have to be quite a distance to avoid hearing them.

I did do research on Google before posting. Missouri 156 west of town has a street level crossing where the train would blow the whistle ‘x’ number of feet before the crossing. On both N. Brown St. and Highway 63 there is an overpass, therefore no whistle. Also, Google doesn’t let you drill down to all points of crossing

Based upon you-tube videos of LaPlata, MO the trains are blowing their whistles in town.

So that is where my question originated. I wanted confirmation of 80 trains going through LaPlata a day. If that was a false statistic, then moving there isn't a problem. If is was accurate statistic, then time to move on. So the original question was if anyone had a source to verify the statistic.

If I can, I usually try to help people rather than question their motives or just move on without responding, but everyone is different.

Last edited by echo99; 06-23-2011 at 01:04 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Trains are an issue if you are thinking of moving to a location. The sound of a train whistle carries more that 5 miles. If you in fact have 80 trains a day going through the town you’d have to buy quite a distance to avoid hearing them.

I did do research on Google before posting. Missouri 156 west of town has a street level crossing where the train would blow the whistle ‘x’ number of feet before the crossing. On both N. Brown St. and Highway 63 there is an overpass, therefore no whistle. Also, Google doesn’t let you drill down to all points of crossing

Based upon you-tube videos of LaPlata, MO the trains are blowing their whistles in town.

So that is where my question originated. I wanted confirmation of 80 trains going through LaPlata a day. If that was a false statistic, then moving there isn't a problem. If is was accurate statistic, then time to move on. So the original question was if anyone had a source to verify the statistic.

If I can, I usually try to help people rather than question their motives or just move on without responding, but everyone is different.

You might wish to call and find out who owns those tracks, in that case, as they will be able to tell you how many trains per day travel that stretch.
As far as why I asked why you wanted to know, I'm a Missouri native, I was going to offer some advice about moving to small towns there, but have changed my mind based on your last sentence.
Good luck, you'll need it.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:41 PM

Last edited by echo99; 06-23-2011 at 01:03 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
good luck to you to kshe95girl, you need it more than me!!
I'm fine, but thanks for acting like you cared.

Last edited by kshe95girl; 06-23-2011 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: decided to be the better person :/

Old 06-26-2011, 07:43 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,519,581 times
I don't live there, I just go there 1-2 times a year to catch the Southwest Chief to Chicago-- by far the best way to get there IMO, unless you live in StL and someone's willing to drive you to the downtown train station and pick you up, but I digress.

80 trains a day seems like a lot-- I could see 80 a week, but it is a busy set of tracks. I asked the volunteer "stationmaster," a really nice guy who's also a train buff and lives about 50 yards from the tracks, if the trains bothered him. They didn't, but then he likes trains.

There's probably a phone at the station. He gets there about an hour before the train comes in from the west, which is easy to look up on amtrak.com (around 9:50 am is its regular time, it's sometimes an hour or so late, depending). I never noticed if he's there when it comes from the east, and I think it gets there around 8 or so at night, maybe a little later.

It's a nicely restored little station.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:32 PM

9,611 posts, read 21,135,113 times
My sister-in-law used to live in Gibbs, Missouri, just a few miles from LaPlata. The same tracks that run through LaPlata run through Gibbs. I can't verify whether or not 80 is an accurate number, but they do have a lot of trains go through there every day.

I used to live in Blakesburg, Iowa, which is another little town with a lot of train traffic. When we first moved there we noticed every one and would wake up when they went through at night. Within a few weeks we got to where we didn't even notice them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
View detailed profiles of: